LEONARD IS FEELING FINE

News about Leonard Cohen and his work, press, radio & TV programs etc.
jdhayes

Re: LEONARD IS FEELING FINE

Post by jdhayes »

"I am going to Hydra soon for the first time, to make my pilgrimage. Is LC's house signposted or is there a location map available? Don't want to go all the way from New Zealand and not find the house!"

I am going to Hydra in October. Is the house far from where the boat docks?
2xDublin 2008, 2xDublin 2009, Berlin, Beacon Theatre 2009, Cardiff, Birmingham, 2xSligo 2010, 3 x Dublin 2012
"You held on to me like I was a crucifix, as we went kneeling through the dark"
bene449

Post by bene449 »

Hi,
everything in Hydra is near where the boat docks. If you go to the waterfront and walk with the clock tower to you left, you will come to a small bakery at the far left corner. There is a little alley which you should climb up; there are no signposts to Lenny's house. After about a hundred yards, ask one of the locals; most speak some English. Leonard's house is the only one with cctv outside it. There is a good picture in the gallery of http://www.leonardcohencafe.co.uk
Have a great visit, I loved it at the reunion a few months ago.
jdhayes

Post by jdhayes »

Thanks for the info. This forum is a great place.
2xDublin 2008, 2xDublin 2009, Berlin, Beacon Theatre 2009, Cardiff, Birmingham, 2xSligo 2010, 3 x Dublin 2012
"You held on to me like I was a crucifix, as we went kneeling through the dark"
Jean-Baptiste

Post by Jean-Baptiste »

Dear Leonard,
Somewhere there is a Light...
Through my lovely daughter Suzanne, my beloved husband Jean-Baptiste, my beautiful sister-in-law Chantal,
I want to thank you for all the emotion you gave us during all these years and you continue to give us.
I cannot describe all this with a few words and the barrier of language
I want to blow out you all my respect and my humble love to still see the Light from the wonderful person you are.
With Love from each of us from France,
Natacha
steff oates

Post by steff oates »

Hi all

This is the first time I have posted to the forum so I'm feeling rather shy. I was at the concert in Barcelona last night and of course it was wonderful. I really appreciated this posting beforehand as scaremongers had lead me to to be nervous about what to expect.

He was of course as fantastic as ever!

I've been to four venues in the last fifteen months and each one had it's own delights.

I didn't go to the lunch arranged (a bit too introvert for that) but I did meet up with forum members on the way to the venue last night. And then to my complete delight forum members got a mention with Leonard's thanks especiallly to Jarkko (so well deserved I think).

I also appreicate the posting regarding the despicable Utube incident as I was able to register my disapproval.

I realised how much I have enjoyed reading the postings although I haven't contributed so far and made a comittment to join in more to this group of people that I have so far appreciated silently.

Steff
ladydi

Post by ladydi »

Hi Steff,

Well, for your first posting it was lovely, and very much from your heart! Welcome officially to the Forum and it's nice to have you here. You were SO fortunate to be in Barcelona last night!! How I wish I could have been, but it's wonderful reading all the posts (and I'm sure many to come plus vids). The candles were a beautiful touch and so special to be able to show our love to Leonard on HIS special day! I'm so glad you were able to run into some Forum members! Wonderful to know that Leonard mentioned the Forum and Jarkko (they are friends). I think he may have mentioned a couple of the other moderators as well. You didn't mention the country you're from...UK, Europe? Might you be attending any of the US concerts this fall? Take care...

All the best,
Diana
ascoli

Post by ascoli »

Welcome Steff
Another heart for Leonard.
alphaeus1

Post by alphaeus1 »

I don't usually post but feel compelled to do so, as I have just heard of Leonard being unwell on stage. It must have been terrible for him and my heart goes out to him. If you read this Leonard I wish you well.
I can still remember the evening in Brighton last year as if it happened last night and the joy you have given me through the years.
Your the best Leonard! Keep well.
efc

Post by efc »

Byron wrote:He did not have a heart attack or a stroke. Thank God.
He did collapse as a result of eating something that poisoned his digestive system.
He must have been dehydrated, from vomiting, having diarrhoea and not replenishing with enough fluids, in order to combat the dehydration.
His recovery will take place helped by rehydration fluids containing essential ingredients.
What concerns me is that he was allowed to go on stage. I know he would have fought to go on, and to not disappoint his fans. He loves the fans and treats us like his extended family. However, his health must come before any single fan. I am not in a 'blame' mode here, but I do wonder what professional medical advice he got before the concert. Surely the friendliest approach to him, given his age, demanding schedule and obvious weakness, would have been to say "no." His fans would have been mortified to learn that they were the root cause for his collapsing on a public stage. He went on stage against his own illness. He didn't want to let his fans down. That's the type of wonderful man he is. But until we know the truth about how he went on stage, we can only wring our hands with shock and anguish.
He will have to me more 'self-ish' in future. He must put himself first. There is only one Leonard Cohen and his health has to be paramount in all matters.
We have all had a nasty scare. He will bounce back and most people will probably and gradually forget what has just happened. From time to time we'll remember it and remember the shiver that went up and down our spine when we first heard of it. But please Leonard, from now on, put yourself first, for all our sakes. You're too precious a human being for any of us to lose prematurely.
I'm not wringing my hands over this. Perhaps Leonard had advice, medical or otherwise. Perhaps it was right and/or wrong advice. Perhaps Leonard followed advice. Perhaps he went against advice. Perhaps he knew the cause of his illness, and that it was a one-off problem. Perhaps, as you imply, Leonard just had to give it a go, and good on him. The reason for the problem was made known quickly by band members etc, and reassurance given. And of course the reassurance was borne out by Leonard being in fine fettle only three days later in Barcelona. Whats the problem.
Roy

Post by Roy »

Rolling Stone

http://www.rollingstone.com/rockdaily/i ... -birthday/

Leonard Cohen Collapses Onstage in Spain, Celebrates 75th Birthday
9/21/09, 10:11 am EST

Leonard Cohen collapsed during a concert in Valencia, Spain, on Friday, September 18th after suffering from a case of food poisoning. After a brief hospital stay, the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame poet-singer was released and is reportedly recovering well. Cohen is expected to perform tonight in Barcelona — at a show that also marks the Canadian singer’s 75th birthday!

According to the AP, Cohen fainted during his performance of “Bird on the Wire,” causing his band to stop playing suddenly to tend to him. The incident was initially blamed on a “stomach complaint,” while Cohen’s manager added that Cohen was reluctant to abandon the concert before being taken the Nueve de Octubre hospital in Valencia. A member of the band told the audience that Cohen was suffering from “stomach cramps and vomiting fits.” Video of Cohen’s collapse is below.

Cohen was released early the next morning. The organizers of his tour told the BBC that Cohen is well enough to perform at tonight’s concert in Barcelona, and trucks carrying equipment for the show arrived as scheduled at the Palau Sant Jordi venue. Following his show in Barcelona, Cohen will head back to North America for a tour of the United States kicking off October 17th in Sunrise, Florida. As Rolling Stone previously reported, Cohen returned to the stage following a long hiatus after he discovered that his manager essentially wiped out his retirement fund.
Last edited by Roy on Thu Oct 01, 2009 12:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
LEONARD COHEN | HALLS OF FAME
The Official Halls of Fame Biographies of Leonard Cohen
http://www.leonardcohenhallsoffame.blogspot.com
MaryB

Post by MaryB »

Why do so many of these reports omit Tel Aviv :roll: ?!
1993 Detroit 2008 Kitchener June 2-Hamilton June 3 & 4-Vienna Sept 24 & 25-London RAH Nov 17 2009 NYC Feb 19-Grand Prairie Apr 3-Phoenix Apr 5-Columbia May 11-Red Rocks Jun 4-Barcelona Sept 21-Columbus Oct 27-Las Vegas Nov 12-San Jose Nov 13 2010 Sligo Jul 31 & Aug 1-LV Dec 10 & 11 2012 Paris Sept 30-London Dec 11-Boston Dec 16 2013 Louisville Mar 30-Amsterdam Sept 20
MarieM

Post by MarieM »

Why do so many of these reports omit Tel Aviv
I think it was just because the concert was omitted from leonardcohen.com, Sony's site. And that was because the concert was added so much later than the rest of the European tour and they didn't bother to update their site.
Marie
Speaking Cohen
tomsakic

Post by tomsakic »

But our reorganised Forum sections now do say:
The Summer Tour in Europe 2009
Europe and Israel (July 1 - September 24, 2009). Tour schedule, pre-sale and ticket information, concert reports, multimedia links, press, etc.
;-)
MarieM

Post by MarieM »

That's because you will find the latest and greatest news here. :D
Marie
Speaking Cohen
LEONKA

Post by LEONKA »

First,I stoped breathing,then I splasch cold sweat,stiff blood in the veins and eventualy the heart almost stopped.
Very,very afraid to have,when I san what happened Mr.Leonard Cohen. After a long wait for information,whether it is OK.Fear for his life.I´m very happy it,I wisch him many,many health and much love from Anjani. This is a messege from SLOVAKIA.

Return to “News”