LEONARD IS FEELING FINE

News about Leonard Cohen and his work, press, radio & TV programs etc.
howthelightgetsin

Re: LEONARD IS FEELING FINE

Post by howthelightgetsin »

Thats the spirit Simon! :) Have a great time at the concert :)
Aymi Derham photography - http://www.flickr.com/takenby1
ladydi

Post by ladydi »

howthelightgetsin,

ABSOLUTELY, I agree! I think at one time or another probably all of us have experienced the joy of food poisoning and/or intestinal flu. You feel like sh-t and your body feels like it's no longer yours. But, let's lighten up here. :roll: Yes, Leonard gave us (and the band, and the fans in Valencia) a scare but he is recovering! He's not about to "buy the farm". I'm sure he will still feel a little weak but he will be on stage tomorrow in Barcelona and everyone will give him a huge Happy Birthday welcome! :D Then, once his 3 week break comes he can realx, kick back, and eat tons of healthy stuff to maybe put on a few pounds of what he has probably lost! Would be interesting to know what food they think caused this....

Diana
slapperoonie

Post by slapperoonie »

Hope Leonard is feeling much better now - gave me a bit of a fright at work when I heard on the radio! I must say when I saw him in Liverpool I thought he was incredibly fit and agile for a 74 yr old... I'm less than half his age and in pretty good shape, but even I would go dizzy from all that kneeling down and getting up again, so I can imagine how food poisoning would have such an effect. Just hope he's been taking it easy for a couple of days and drinking plenty of water. (We all know how he feels - I had some dodgy tapas in Barcelona a couple of years back and I felt like poo for a day or so!) He's one of life's very special people and I'm sure he has lots of lovely people looking out for him!
Liverpool 2009 / Manchester 2013
jenrbr

Post by jenrbr »

valerio -
boker tov v chag sameach - as i write this I am raising my espresso cup in salute to a fellow coffee - Cohen addict.
Read that an extra 1000 tickets were issued for the Ramat Gan concert.
Friends of mine who live a few kilometers south of Beersheba tell me they will be heading up north by the busloads... caravans of Cohen fans transversing the Arava to hear his majestic voice!
Gives me goose bumps just thinking about it.
Hope you're able to be amongst them.

plotino,
Thank god Leonard Cohen is surrounded by loving, dedicated famliy and colleagues. I have absolutely no doubt he will be looked after.

thatshowthelightgetsin -
It's the Jewish mother in me.... :)
Can't help it...
By the way, love your name.

I am off to shul and will make a meshabe'rach for Leonard.
For such a blessing, I will have to dig up Leonard Cohen's mother's first name.
Does anybody know off hand?

stay well
kol tov
Jenny
Kleinito

Post by Kleinito »

I was at the concert and it was indeed a scary moment. When Javier Mas explained what happened I did catch my breath again! Very very glad to know he's ok, though i missed my opportunity to see him live. It was brave of him to go onstage even in his state... Get well Leonard!

PD: I wonder what the hell did you eat! :)
jenrbr

Post by jenrbr »

Just answered my query ... and found the name of his mother, it's Masha.

On this second day of Rosh Hashana - will make a meshaberach for a refuah shlayma for Leonard ben Masha.

May he enjoy a long and healthy life.

kol tov
chag sameach
Jenny
Roy

Post by Roy »

How many minutes or hours into the concert was it when Leonard Cohen collapsed? How many songs had he performed already? What kind of food was he eating on the tour?
LEONARD COHEN | HALLS OF FAME
The Official Halls of Fame Biographies of Leonard Cohen
http://www.leonardcohenhallsoffame.blogspot.com
RoyJerusalem

Post by RoyJerusalem »

valerio fiandra wrote:
toda', Jenny ! I will have it, you know : as an italian, comin from Trieste ( home of Illy, The best espresso in The Planet ... ) I'm a coffe addict and lover.

Actually, I'm hangin on a miracle, for I do not have a ticket for The Concert so far. But I'm not "waiting", I'm doing almost anything to Be there .

Thanx for your wishes, take care !
Yo Valerio, they just published an extra 1000 tickets (1200 Shekels)

http://www.leaan.co.il/venue_areas.asp

Let me know if you have a beer or something before the concert 8)
ladydi

Post by ladydi »

Roy wrote:How many minutes or hours into the concert was it when Leonard Cohen collapsed? How many songs had he performed already? What kind of food was he eating on the tour?
Hi Roy,

Leonard was just starting "Bird on the Wire" which is the 4th song, so he was not too far into the concert. Obviously he must have been feeling pretty rocky during the first few songs as Mabeanie (on another thread) mentioned that he was missing a few words and seemed to be "out of sorts".

Diana

ps..I "think" Leonard is basically a vegetarian but does include fish in his diet. If I'm wrong, anyone is free to correct me :)
Purple Princess

Post by Purple Princess »

I do hope Leonard is feeling a lot better today and ready for Barcelona and ofcourse Ramat Gan! I am ready for Israel - just finished packing my suitcase and fly there Tuesday!
Lehit Jayne x
Manchester 1979; Birmingham 1985; London x 2 1988; London 1993; Edinburgh Castle, London 2008 Ramat Gan and Las Vegas 2009Sligo 2010Las Vegas Dec. 2010
Verona September 2012; Leeds sept 2013
Roy

Post by Roy »

From CBC

http://www.cbc.ca/arts/music/story/2009 ... lapse.html

Leonard Cohen OK after fainting on stage
Last Updated: Saturday, September 19, 2009 | 3:27 PM ET Comments66Recommend64
CBC News
Leonard Cohen, right, seen performing in April at a music festival in Indio, Calif., collapsed on stage while performing in Valencia, Spain, on Friday. (Chris Pizzello/Associated Press)
Canadian poet-singer Leonard Cohen is recovering after collapsing on stage while on a music tour in Spain.

Doctor Music Concerts released a statement early Saturday saying Cohen has been released from hospital after suffering stomach problems.

The singer — who turns 75 on Monday — fainted halfway through Bird on the Wire while performing in Valencia on Friday.

Video placed on YouTube by a concertgoer shows Cohen kneeling several times as he sings and then keeling sideways.

Band members rushed to his aid. He was treated on site at first and then sent to hospital, his record company said.

A band member told fans the performer had suffered stomach cramps and vomiting.

Cohen is due to perform Monday in Barcelona to wrap up his Spanish tour.

A spokesman for the Palau Sant Jordi concert hall in Barcelona said trucks bearing Cohen's stage set arrived on Saturday and will be set up.

According to the poet's website, after Spain, he isn't due to perform until Oct. 17 in Sunrise, Fla.

With files from The Associated Press

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3upf6BdRXk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CrY6ifK_ ... re=related
LEONARD COHEN | HALLS OF FAME
The Official Halls of Fame Biographies of Leonard Cohen
http://www.leonardcohenhallsoffame.blogspot.com
ladydi

Post by ladydi »

Well, once AGAIN, whoever wrote this dispatch did not get all their facts straight. Barcelona does indeed wrap up the tour of Spain; however, as it was added later on in the tour, they have neglected to mention the concert at Ramat Gan in Israel on the 24th! These writers who keep missing this should be consulting the leonardcohenfiles to get their information correct! :roll:

Diana
scorp

Post by scorp »

howthelightgetsin wrote:Thats the spirit Simon! :) Have a great time at the concert :)

leonard at the big chill in 08:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8XX5Tpv9P9s

there's more, of course :-)
Purple Princess

Post by Purple Princess »

Well, once AGAIN, whoever wrote this dispatch did not get all their facts straight. Barcelona does indeed wrap up the tour of Spain; however, as it was added later on in the tour, they have neglected to mention the concert at Ramat Gan in Israel on the 24th! These writers who keep missing this should be consulting the leonardcohenfiles to get their information correct!

Diana

Diana - couldnt agree more with you!!! I keep panicking every time I read one of these reports about Barcelona wrapping up his tour!!

Jayne
Manchester 1979; Birmingham 1985; London x 2 1988; London 1993; Edinburgh Castle, London 2008 Ramat Gan and Las Vegas 2009Sligo 2010Las Vegas Dec. 2010
Verona September 2012; Leeds sept 2013
Carmen

Post by Carmen »

Actually, I think I read somewhere that there will be TWO concerts in Israel, one in the Palestinian area, (possibly Bethlehem but I am not sure now, correct me if I am wrong). The 47,000 tickets for the first of these two concerts were sold in a matter of days.
May he be healthy and fit for this challenge! God bless his soul!

Carmen

Return to “News”