The final poster

This is a temporary section for the 75th birthday present threads (do not post here anymore)
lizzytysh

Re: The final poster

Post by lizzytysh »

And I was specifically remembering that apartment complex or housing development area, where we kept circling around and ending up back where we started, after the electronic lady kept telling us to regroup or whatever it is she says, since I don't have a global positioning system [my 1986 Monte Carlo would feel too overwhelmed by such advancements and just stop running :shock: ]... and we all just fell out laughing more each time we realized we'd circled the block again and gotten nowhere.

I'm glad you're well.
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
vlad

Post by vlad »

An overlay with the names would be a nice topping... Thanks for the awesome work and congrats for the result!
:-)

best,
Greg Ross

Re: Play It All Again and Again And Again!

Post by Greg Ross »

Ahh Roman,

Here is my Highwaymen tale; way back, in the mid 1980s, I’d stopped driving road trains up in the Kimberley and started driving tour and express coaches. At the time, I was driving for Greyhound (I carried a lot of weight in those days, so my nickname was Fat Cat & the Skinny Dog), anyhow, I was on the night shift, driving the 650 miles from Kalgoorlie to Eucla (out on the border of Western Australia and South Australia), I’d purchased three cassettes earlier in the day, (to put into the Walkman) – Leonard’s ‘Songs of Love & Hate”, Dire Straits’ ‘Brothers in Arms’ and ‘The Highwaymen.’

It’s about 4.45am, the passengers are fast asleep and we’re just cresting the Fraser Ranges (about 60 miles east of Norseman), heading down towards Balladonia and the start of the true Nullarbor. Streaks of yellow light are flashing across the sky, as dawn begins to break, the roos (kangaroos) are hoping back across the isolated outback highway to sleep for the day and I’ve got the Greyhound Silver Eagle (yes, it was an American built coach) wound right out! Those suckers could make a mile – 90 mile an hours + wasn’t out of the question. You’re an engineer, this’ll make sense to you – they were stainless steel, heavy as all get-out, running Jimmy diesels with Alison automatic boxes, sweet, sweet, bits of gear and they handled!

Anyhow, Leonard’s magnificent album had finished and I put on the Highwaymen, it was astounding! I can still feel the goose bumps rising on my arm, when Johnny Cash started “I fly a starship …” into my earphones. You know, I didn’t say anything when I was in Colorado the other month, but I kept thinking of that line about the … “wild Colorado.”

Music – where would we be without it!
All Good Things
Greg

http://www.gregross.com.au/
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Are you looking to get choked, Vlad ;-) ?

The same as Laura overlaid her name, and Stamatina overlaid one of Leonard's logos, I'm afraid had we wanted our name on our photos, we ought to have done it before sending. I'm lost on how to do that, anyway, so for me it would've been out of the question, but others could have. At this point, they're just trying to get it done.

~ Lizzy
~ Oscar Wilde
PanCogito

Post by PanCogito »

Greg, my friend,
You’re so great storyteller, I really enjoy reading you. And music, you’re right; we would be very poor without music, without Leonard Cohen, Mark Knopfler, Johnny Cash and many many others I listen to. I hope you will be back again to the “wild Colorado”, just the other day if you can.

Take care,

Roman
kind regards -דרישת שלום
roman - pan cogito- מר קוגיטו
העובדה שאני שותק לא אומרת שאין לי מה להגיד - The fact that I am being silent doesn't mean that I have nothing to say
|1985Wroclaw|1988Stuttgart|2008Montreal|2009 New York RC| MSG|Red Rocks |Las Vegas |2012Aalborg| Denver|Chicago|2013Milwaukee
Laura

Post by Laura »

lizzytysh wrote: The same as Laura overlaid her name, and Stamatina overlaid one of Leonard's logos,

~ Lizzy

Blush... I thought I used the smallest letters possible, didn't think anyone would see. You know, it's the privilege of the "creator" to sign his/her work.
Thank you for the choking suggestion, Lizzy, yes, it's tempting... ;-)

Laura
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

. . . it's the privilege of the "creator" to sign his/her work.
That's how I saw it, with signing and use of [colour-coordinated] colour... and had/have no problem with any of it. I feel it's relevant to the piece and you ought to be designated. The font works well, too... and, actually, I feel the result would be a bit odd, visually, if everyone's names were overlaid. It seems it would end up looking cluttered.

[You got off easy this time, Vlad ;-) ]

~ Lizzy
~ Oscar Wilde
surrender

Post by surrender »

Dear creative team,
suddenly I've thought - there is no date, even no year on the poster.
Forgive me if it is on purpose, it is not so important anyway....
Thanks for the time and the work you put in this project
1988: Amsterdam 1993: Nijmegen 2008: Amsterdam|Oberhausen 2009: Cologne|Antwerp|Barcelona 2010: Ghent (8/20-21-22)|Lille
2012: Ghent (8/12)|Amsterdam (8/21-22)|Verona|Lisboa 2013: Antwerp|Brussels|Rotterdam|Amsterdam

After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music...
(Aldous L. Huxley)
bridger15

Post by bridger15 »

surrender wrote:Dear creative team,
suddenly I've thought - there is no date, even no year on the poster.
Forgive me if it is on purpose, it is not so important anyway....
Thanks for the time and the work you put in this project
I was wondering the same thing. Isn't this supposed to be a 75th birthday poster?
jarkko wrote:The birthday poster that was the winner of the poll is now ready
May I also add my compliments to the creative team for the time and effort you all have put into this project.
2009-San Diego|Los Ang|Nashville|St Louis|Kansas City|LVegas|San Jose
2010-Gothenburg|Berlin|Ghentx2|Oaklandx2|Portland|LVegasx2
2012-Austinx2|Denver|Los Ang|Seattle|Portland

Arlene's Leonard Cohen Scrapbook http://onboogiestreet.blogspot.com
mutti

Post by mutti »

Laura I agree with one of the posts, I would love to see your signature at the bottom of this masterpiece...it is so well done and appreciated by all of us!
and thank you to all involved...
Much love and appreciation to all the hard work and dedication put into this poster.
Mutti
Last edited by mutti on Sun Sep 13, 2009 10:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1988 Vancouver
2009 Victoria/Seattle/Almost Red Rocks/Las Vegas/San Jose.
2010 Sligo x 2/Victoria/Vancouver/Portland/Las Vegas x 2.
2012 Austin x 2/Seattle/Vancouver/Montreal x 2.
2013 Oakland x 2/New York City x 2/Winnipeg...
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

I wasn't going to comment at all on these last, few posts... however, this is my take on all of it. I know that when I spoke of Laura's signature, I interpreted her comments on it as meaning overlaying her name in that lovely font over her pretty-much coloured photo. Signatures come in all forms. That's not to say that I have any issues with her signature at the bottom, as well... even so, it seems to have already been covered with the way she chose to do it. Whatever... whatever... on that :) .

With the Happy 75th Birthday comments, however, this is my perspective:

With gifts I've gotten, they've rarely been marked with the birthday age I was when they were received; nor would I have wanted them to be. When they are, after awhile, there's just something that seems to be 'dated' about them. Our love for Leonard didn't begin, nor will it end in his 75th year... nor did this tour begin with that year. Considering that Leonard's never even been fond of birthdays, having that there would certainly be a continuous reminder. So, even though this is a gift marking his 75th year, I feel it's purely an executive decision on Laura's part as to indicating that... and I'm fine, either way... though, actually, leaning toward its not being there.

~ Lizzy
~ Oscar Wilde
mutti

Post by mutti »

Edited
Mutti
Last edited by mutti on Sun Sep 13, 2009 10:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
1988 Vancouver
2009 Victoria/Seattle/Almost Red Rocks/Las Vegas/San Jose.
2010 Sligo x 2/Victoria/Vancouver/Portland/Las Vegas x 2.
2012 Austin x 2/Seattle/Vancouver/Montreal x 2.
2013 Oakland x 2/New York City x 2/Winnipeg...
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Hi Leslie ~

Since Laura could be very busy at this moment, as she works to meet the deadline of printshop and Jarkko's departure for Barcelona, I'm going ahead and pointing Laura out to you.

Looking and counting from the left margin, Laura is in the 4th row over and the 9th photo down from the top. It's a very sweet, demure, and lovely photo of her. You can be certain Leonard will know where she's placed herself ;-) ... and not even in a particular place of prominence, which in terms of humility, is to her credit 8) .

Of course, she may agree with you and the others on the 75th being placed on the poster, as well; however, I have to believe that she considered it as an option and, ultimately, decided to do it as she did... and a very classy poster it is, indeed.

~ Lizzy
~ Oscar Wilde
jarkko
Site Admin

Post by jarkko »

Laura has now uploaded the new version of the poster!
It's here: http://cohen.1g.fi/kuvat/Poster/ray+of+ ... +final.jpg
Thanks again to Laura for her untiring wprk on this project. I am going to
order from a local photo lab a professional print on glossy art paper,
and will take it to Barcelona.
1988, 1993: Helsinki||2008: Manchester|Oslo|London O2|Berlin|Helsinki|London RAH|| 2009: New York Beacon|Berlin|Venice|Barcelona|Las Vegas|San José||2010: Salzburg|Helsinki|Gent|Bratislava|Las Vegas|| 2012: Gent|Helsinki|Verona|| 2013: New York|Pula|Oslo|||
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Beautiful!!!! Though, I haven't had [and don't right this moment] a chance to examine it all closely, it appears that most of the repeat spaces have been utilized to place the photos that were in hiding. Please no one says that theirs was still omitted :shock: . I'm trusting that all has been righted 8) :D !!!

~ Lizzy
~ Oscar Wilde

Return to “Leonard Cohen 75 years (September 21, 2009)”