Isle of Wight 1970 release (October 2009) - all the details

News about Leonard Cohen and his work, press, radio & TV programs etc.
Joe Way

Re: Isle of Wight release - all details

Post by Joe Way »

Thank you Jarkko for the review. We'll be looking forward to seeing it in Barcelona and purchasing it when available. Anne & I saw him in Madison a little over two months after the Isle of Wight event. It will be particularly nostalgic for us. I have a couple of audience recordings from May 1970 and Leonard and the band really improved from that point. There are a couple of spots in the recording where they simply broke down and had to restart the song. There was none of that by the time we saw them in Madison. I still really like that group with Bob Johnston, Charlie Daniels and Corlynn Hanney.

Joe
"Say a prayer for the cowboy..."
jorcx

Post by jorcx »

Thanks Jarkko for the privilege of enjoying this great concert as a World Premiere in Barcelona:
For all those interested, the DVD Screening of the "Isle Of Wight" DVD is scheduled on Sunday 20th September at 5PM (doors open at 4.30PM) at the venue where we are holding all the celebrations: Sala Vivaldi (Llançà St. 5). Is there the possibility of re-running the DVD again at the lunch on Monday afternoon?
Best regards,
Jordi
Barcelona 15th May '93 | Dublin 13th June '08 | Lucca 27th July '08 | London 17th November '08 | Cap Roig 15th August '09 | Barcelona 21st September '09 | Barcelona 3rd October '12
jarkko
Site Admin

Post by jarkko »

I know that some members come to Barcelona too late for the Sunday premiere. If you guys find a good moment in the Monday schedule, re-showing will certainly be OK!
1988, 1993: Helsinki||2008: Manchester|Oslo|London O2|Berlin|Helsinki|London RAH|| 2009: New York Beacon|Berlin|Venice|Barcelona|Las Vegas|San José||2010: Salzburg|Helsinki|Gent|Bratislava|Las Vegas|| 2012: Gent|Helsinki|Verona|| 2013: New York|Pula|Oslo|||
RainDog1980

Post by RainDog1980 »

jarkko wrote:I know that some members come to Barcelona too late for the Sunday premiere. If you guys find a good moment in the Monday schedule, re-showing will certainly be OK!
Jarkko,

I am continually impressed by your efforts for this forum. Thank you so much for the advance review, I am excited to get the CD/DVD, and have a full Cohen concert from so early in his career.

Do you know if Leonard's crew records all of his performances when they're on tour, or only what is planned on being released as a live LP/CD?
jarkko
Site Admin

Post by jarkko »

The audio of EVERY concert of the tour has been recorded. The video footage has also been saved from all concerts that have had cameras for the screens.
1988, 1993: Helsinki||2008: Manchester|Oslo|London O2|Berlin|Helsinki|London RAH|| 2009: New York Beacon|Berlin|Venice|Barcelona|Las Vegas|San José||2010: Salzburg|Helsinki|Gent|Bratislava|Las Vegas|| 2012: Gent|Helsinki|Verona|| 2013: New York|Pula|Oslo|||
sourire

Post by sourire »

Wow. If ALL the tour concerts have been recorded, wouldn't it be wonderful if we could 'relive the moments' at local meetups where the footage is shown again for forum members? Maybe we could pay a small fee/donation for charity to view again?
How feasible is that? I've no idea of the copyright and technical issues & regs. on this, and venue would be an issue, I guess?
I'm sure many of us will be in 'cold turkey' once these tours are over :roll: :!: and would welcome the chance to live and "laugh about it all again".
Is it possible? Or am I dreaming?
Light breaks where no sun shines;
Where no sea runs, the waters of the heart
Push in their tides....

Dylan Thomas
jarkko
Site Admin

Post by jarkko »

Unfortunately the rights issues make this kind of use impossible, but let's hope there will be other solutions ín the future.
sourire

Post by sourire »

Thanks, Jarkko. It was a wonderful dream while it lasted. To the future, then... ;-)
Light breaks where no sun shines;
Where no sea runs, the waters of the heart
Push in their tides....

Dylan Thomas
Okudzhava

Post by Okudzhava »

Back to the topic... jarkko, is the moment where Leonard asks the crowd to light a match captured on the IOW DVD?
Belgrade, Serbia, 2. IX 2009.
jarkko
Site Admin

Post by jarkko »

Yep, it is!!
Pope

Post by Pope »

That's like knowing what your Xmas presents are...wait and see! :D
http://glynpope.blogspot.com/
Okudzhava

Post by Okudzhava »

Jarkko, thanks.

Pope, nope.
maureen

Post by maureen »

Hi Jarkko,
Have you any more updates, of when and if, a pre-sale is going to happen about the Isle of Wight dvd. On Amazon it is saying that they will have it from 19th October, just hoping that it will be available on the forum before then, Thanks a lot then and enjoy Barcelona.
Okudzhava

Post by Okudzhava »

Yeah, thanks for reminding me maureen - wonder if there's a trailer made by now? Off to Amazon!
jarkko
Site Admin

Post by jarkko »

Haven't received any new details!

Return to “News”