Favorite LC song RIGHT NOW

General discussion about Leonard Cohen's songs and albums
Lilifyre

Favorite LC song RIGHT NOW

Post by Lilifyre »

In perusing the many threads here, I've discovered that many, like me, have no ONE favorite Leonard Cohen song, but many. In particular we seem to get hooked on one song at a time. I get stuck on a single song and play it at least 100 times virtually non-stop. Finally I get my fill and move on to another.

Until yesterday that song was "Take This Walz" for several weeks. Then I came here this morning and saw the thread about "The Window". Well, "The Window" has been playing on my PC via YouTube ever since. Thank goodness I have a PC capable of multi-tasking so I can listen to YouTube and still go about other things at the same time.

So, if you have a favorite for a time and then move on, please share it. You need not explain why you like it. We all know we love Leonard or we wouldn't be on this site. If you get your fill and switch to a different song, let us know that as well. This should prove very interesting.

Lili
Lili
"Well, that's my story
I admit it's broken and it's bleak
But all the twisted pieces fit
A 1000 kisses deep."
CarolineM

Re: Favorite LC song RIGHT NOW

Post by CarolineM »

Lilifyre wrote:In particular we seem to get hooked on one song at a time. I get stuck on a single song and play it at least 100 times virtually non-stop. Finally I get my fill and move on to another.
I do that too :D

for a while it's been "hey that's no way to say goodbye", then I've moved on to "The gipsy's wife".
Ottawa - May 25, 2009 / Ottawa - May 26, 2009 / NYC - October 23, 2009
Stamatina

Post by Stamatina »

Lilifyre wrote: In particular we seem to get hooked on one song at a time. I get stuck on a single song and play it at least 100 times virtually non-stop. Finally I get my fill and move on to another.
I've stopped doing this. In fact, right now my favourite song is "Sisters of Mercy", because that's the one playing right now. Two minutes ago it was That Don't Make It Junk and five minutes before that it was By The Rivers Dark..etc. :razz:

Well they lay down beside me, I made my confession to them / They touch both my eyes and I touch the dew on their hem / If your life is a leaf that the seasons tear off and condemn / They will bind you with love that is graceful and green as a stem...
"Oh chosen love, Oh frozen love
Oh tangle of matter and ghost
Oh darling of angels, demons and saints
And the whole broken-hearted host
Gentle this soul..."
somewhat_nifty

Post by somewhat_nifty »

hehe, so very true. There are ones that are always in my 'top ten' as it were, but the order changes. Currently 'Love Calls You By Your Name' is really speaking to me.
I'm chained to the old masquerade...
2008: London O2 14th Nov, RAH 18th Nov; 2009: NY RCMH 16th May, Weybridge MBW 11th July, Barcelona 21st Sept; 2010: Sligo 31st July, Lille 25th Sept, Las Vegas 11th Dec; 2012: Wembley Arena 8th Sept, Dublin 11th Sept 2013: London O2 21st June, London O2 14th Sept
mnkyface

Post by mnkyface »

I can't stop listening to Be For Real. I feel like I just "discovered " it... don't know why this song has slipped past me until recently.
"In this world of shallow, he is the abyss."~ YouTube commenter greg450318

Post by iris »

I started with Famous blue raincoat, 1988. Many followed.
A few weeks ago I was suddenly deeply moved bij I tried to leave you, Live in Londonversion.
I cant stop listening to this song... repeat and repeat and repeat...
here is your love for all this
2008 amsterdam/rotterdam, 2009 antwerpen, 2010 gent/dortmund, 2012 gent/amsterdam, 2013 antwerpen/oberhausen/rotterdam/amsterdam
MaryB

Post by MaryB »

Because Diana/ladydi (thank you), a while ago, told me to take a closer listen to 'Ballad of the Absent Mare', I have rediscovered the beautiful lyrics in this stunning melody. I can only imagine how it would be reinterpreted on this current tour. Right now, I can't stop listening to it.

Best regards,
Mary
1993 Detroit 2008 Kitchener June 2-Hamilton June 3 & 4-Vienna Sept 24 & 25-London RAH Nov 17 2009 NYC Feb 19-Grand Prairie Apr 3-Phoenix Apr 5-Columbia May 11-Red Rocks Jun 4-Barcelona Sept 21-Columbus Oct 27-Las Vegas Nov 12-San Jose Nov 13 2010 Sligo Jul 31 & Aug 1-LV Dec 10 & 11 2012 Paris Sept 30-London Dec 11-Boston Dec 16 2013 Louisville Mar 30-Amsterdam Sept 20
TheSpice-BoxOfEarth

Post by TheSpice-BoxOfEarth »

Last night I was kinda melancholy and "The Guests" touched me and my mood more deeply than ever.
Those who earnestly are lost are lost and lost again.
A cross on every hill
A star, a minaret
So many graves to fill
O love, aren’t you tired yet?

- The Faith, Leonard Cohen
Lilifyre

Post by Lilifyre »

As of right now, I still sort of have "The Window" playing in my head, but it is intersperced with Joan of Arc...like a CD player just playing the 2 songs. I can't seem to ge enough of either one.

Lili
Lili
"Well, that's my story
I admit it's broken and it's bleak
But all the twisted pieces fit
A 1000 kisses deep."
schubert

Post by schubert »

Today Ive been listening a lot to Bird on the wire, a song Ive always loved but there was a time I got bored with it,dont know why.
Anyway it sounded beautiful and fresh today,I really like the second version on SFAR which Ive recently bought. :lol: :razz:
rose red

Post by rose red »

the future
rose red

Post by rose red »

rose red wrote:the future
sung on I'm your Man Dvd by Nick Cave I bet Leonard loves it!
Florian

Post by Florian »

What i would call my LC song of the week is right now:
Waiting for the miracle
lightasabreeze

Post by lightasabreeze »

I am in tune with mnkyface at the moment. BE FOR REAL is being aired. Plus I have been re tuned to Dear Heather and UNDERTOW which I kinda like.
I tried to catch up with some form filling today with Leonard in the background. Can't be done... All I could concentrate on was Leonards voice in my ear distracting me from everything else
Form filling was abandoned as I just lay back to listen to someone who appeared to be singing solely to me.
Somebody must have died for you
A Thousand Kisses Deep

London 02 x 3..... Radio city New York... Wet Weybridge..... Wembley Arena... Brighton..
Parsifal

Post by Parsifal »

lightasabreeze wrote:I am in tune with mnkyface at the moment. BE FOR REAL is being aired. Plus I have been re tuned to Dear Heather and UNDERTOW which I kinda like.
I tried to catch up with some form filling today with Leonard in the background. Can't be done... All I could concentrate on was Leonards voice in my ear distracting me from everything else
Form filling was abandoned as I just lay back to listen to someone who appeared to be singing solely to me.
When I'm doing my form-filling, ANY kind of vocal music is absolutely deadly. So, I put on some soothing jazz - Bill Evans is very good for these moments: not that what he does is muzak (far from it) - it just gives you that space to focus on other things.

Tried to listen to the DOALM version of Memories today, but it just doesn't speak to me....so, tried the FCC live version instead - a whole world of difference there! :D

Return to “Leonard Cohen's music”