LC's Hallelujah named top Canadian Pop song!

News about Leonard Cohen and his work, press, radio & TV programs etc.
KimSolez

LC's Hallelujah named top Canadian Pop song!

Post by KimSolez »

LC's Hallelujah named top Canadian Pop song of all time!

Article in yesterday's Globe and Mail - Canadian national newspaper.

Link posted at top of http://www.leonardcohennights.org

Cheers. - Kim
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Thanks for that information, Kim. YAY, Leonard!!! :D

And that sounds much more of an honour than the Junos, anyway.

Lizzytysh

Thanks, Kim. I've just been there and read the highly-entertaining read that accompanies the list, which Leonard tops with Hallelujah.....with Famous Blue Raincoat further down. My subjectivity would've had it higher, of course, but there are several of the Canadian singers/songs listed, of whom I've never heard.
Kush

Post by Kush »

Congratulations to LC.
On the other hand I noticed that Seasons in the Sun has been named as one of 5 worst canadian songs. The song is actually written by Jacques Brel - one of my favorites. So don't know if I'd give much credibility to these lists.......
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Kush

Perhaps the particular rendition of it that didn't pass muster? Have you met Lightning on the Board? She's an avid Brel person with the joie de vivre that he embodies. She sent me a wonderful documentary on him. I first encountered "him" [a club performance] when I was selling roses in Quebec City. Got very distracted from what I was supposed to be doing, having never heard of him [but realizing later, had heard some of his songs]. We may not agree on C&W, but we do agree on Brel. I also love his body language in performance. Humourous, intense, expressive, many things. Lightning also lives in New York.

I'll endorse the validity of any list that puts Cohen at the top, at least for the duration of that slot. At least it shows they had good sense to that point.

Lizzytysh
Kush

Post by Kush »

Lizzytysh,
You are indeed fortunate to have had "encountered" Jacques Brel. His lyrics have a deliciously irreverent and mocking edge that cuts through all pretensions and hypocrisy (his and ours). And yes, his stage performance is famous for its intensity.....
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Yes, I agree, Kush. I learned through the documentary that he had issues with his appearance [visage]...akin to Leonard's personal perception of self "we are ugly, but we have the music," except that Brel [unlike Leonard] was somehow openly ridiculed by certain members of the public [I can't really say they were fans, even if they were of his music, as that's a very cruel thing to do] and it deeply hurt him. He wrote at least one song in regard to it. He's a very sympathetic performer, ex post facto.....and at the time, as well.

Yes, I love the lyrics that I've had the fortune to understand. The rest I still need to research for their translations.

Lizzytysh
Kush

Post by Kush »

I may be mistaken but wasnt it Charles Aznavour who had problems with his appearance and height .

Return to “News”