Chelsea Hotel Plaque

This is a temporary section for the 75th birthday present threads (do not post here anymore)
Mirek

Re: Chelsea Hotel Plaque

Post by Mirek »

Dick wrote:The address has been sent

WELCOME friends from France! We remember you well in the Berlin Hotel.... :D
Oh, yes... that was an incredible experience! Hope to see another performance of the young lady next year in Krakow!

Mirek
carlowmike
Location: it's just the way it changes, like the shoreline and the sea,!

Post by carlowmike »

Just a thought,
will there be a small reception following the unveiling
the hotel might be interested in sponsoring such ?
I think a "songsmith" is one who writes words combined with music !. mike
2008~Dublin x 3,- Amsterdam,- London,- Berlin,- London x 2,. 2009~Dublin x 3,- Barcelona, Sept.- New York, Chelsea Hotel Plaque Dedication and MSG Concert,- Las Vegas. 2010~Sligo x 2, Las Vegas x 1.]2012, Ghent, Berlin, Dublin, Los Angeles, New York.
Like You Would Do For One You Love
bhenshaw

Post by bhenshaw »

Dick,

I would like to send a check. Would you please email to me the address to send the check to.

Thanks!

Bill
naf nehoC dranoeL

Post by naf nehoC dranoeL »

This Chelsea hotel remembrance needs to stop right now.
LC only received a blowjob by Janis in his phantasies.
No big deal.

Give the man a break please.

If I would ever reach the age of 75, I could not care less about my age!
Nothing to celebrate, because your left-over days are counting down.

Let him enjoy performing, and do not interfere in his private life.
A much obliged thank you will be your reward.

It would not be spoken from this man's heart for sure.
MaryB

Post by MaryB »

WHOA naf nehoC dranoel! You're in trooouuuuble!
1993 Detroit 2008 Kitchener June 2-Hamilton June 3 & 4-Vienna Sept 24 & 25-London RAH Nov 17 2009 NYC Feb 19-Grand Prairie Apr 3-Phoenix Apr 5-Columbia May 11-Red Rocks Jun 4-Barcelona Sept 21-Columbus Oct 27-Las Vegas Nov 12-San Jose Nov 13 2010 Sligo Jul 31 & Aug 1-LV Dec 10 & 11 2012 Paris Sept 30-London Dec 11-Boston Dec 16 2013 Louisville Mar 30-Amsterdam Sept 20
dick

Post by dick »

Leonard lived on and off at the Chelsea several times, and has mentioned
composing several songs while in that venue.
ladydi

Post by ladydi »

naf nehoC dranoeL wrote:This Chelsea hotel remembrance needs to stop right now.
No big deal.

At this moment I am respecting you as an individual...you appear to appreciate Leonard's music, but other than that we don't know too much about you...as we really don't know too much about each other sometimes, other than our shared admiration for the incredible talent that is Leonard Cohen. This plaque at the Chelsea commemorates and remembers the years that Leonard lived off and on at the Chelsea. If you have ever been there, you know that the front of the hotel is plastered with plaques honouring many authors and poets who have at one point in time made the Chelsea their home base. It has nothing to do with any song that you think is from a fantasy? A fantasy...wow. You know, there are fantasies and realities. Many fantasies become realities....have you never experienced this in your life? Where do you obtain this somewhat "inside information" that this is a fantasy? Names, dates, please....

I, for one, really do not appreciate your input at this moment in time. In fact, even though I am still respecting you as an individual, my gut really tells me to tell you to "buzz off". At least on this subject.

All the best,
Diana
Birdonawire

Post by Birdonawire »

Hi Leonard Cohen fan, ooops, I mean naf nehoC dranoeL,

If I remember correctly Leonard/Leonard's management have given his approval for this enterprise (am I right Dick?).
I'm sure if he didn't want this to happen he would make his feeling known.
New York (Joe's Pub), April 24th 2007 / Dublin, June 14th 2008 / Dublin, June 15th 2008 / New York, February 19th 2009 / Dublin, July 20th 2009 / Barcelona, September 21st 2009 / Sligo...here I come!
Womanfromaroom

Post by Womanfromaroom »

ladydi wrote:
naf nehoC dranoeL wrote:This Chelsea hotel remembrance needs to stop right now.
No big deal.

[...] Where do you obtain this somewhat "inside information" that this is a fantasy? Names, dates, please....

I, for one, really do not appreciate your input at this moment in time. In fact, even though I am still respecting you as an individual, my gut really tells me to tell you to "buzz off". At least on this subject.

All the best,
Diana
I couldn't agree more!! Your post, naf..., may be well meant (not sure about your motivation), but to my mind, it is ill conceived. If you don't like this effort, don't join it, but be so kind as to otherwise shut up on it, please - for I really don't see your point! Your words are disrespectful to those who have put a lot of work into this project, and it is disrespectful to those of us loving Leonard's music and trying to show it to him somehow, even if there is no way of actually "giving back" what he has given us. Still, the plaque is a sign of respect, and least that you can say is that it definitely doesn't do any harm!!
[-]
Last edited by Womanfromaroom on Sat Aug 01, 2009 5:52 pm, edited 3 times in total.
"You thought that it could never happen / to all the people that you became"...
Love Calls You By Your Name
Paula

Post by Paula »

Womaninaroom "This used to be such a civilised forum"

WIAR you have only been registered less than a couple of years I have no idea whether you have monitered this forum over the years but take the rose coloured glasses off.
Dublin 14th June, Manchester 20th June, O2 17th July, Matlock Bandstand Aug 28, O2 14th November, Royal Albert Hall 17th and 18th November 2008, MBW 11th July 2009, Liverpool Echo 14th July 2009
Womanfromaroom

Post by Womanfromaroom »

[quote="Paula"]Womaninaroom "This used to be such a civilised forum"

WIAR you have only been registered less than a couple of years I have no idea whether you have monitered this forum over the years but take the rose coloured glasses off.[/quote

All I mean is that recently, you can hardly write anything without coming in for more or less harsh criticism (not even talking about the "politics" section here), which is not in itself the problem, being outspoken is as important as it is a good thing - but I find that often, the tone is not always what it should be to start with. I am not suggesting that this online community is not "civilized" any more, but surely not everything going on here recently meets the standards that I have come to really appreciate about this site. I am not naive, and I don't mean you, Paula - your comments are fine!! As I have said, naf's comment is not what I was primarily addressing, either. But apart from that, generally speaking, I am not the only one who has had the impression that recently, standards of respectful communication have deteriorated here a little. When I started posting here, as you say, a comparatively short time ago, maybe people - some especially - were just kind because I was "new" - but you may have noticed that not even newcomers are necessarily granted this privilege any more. I think it was Hydriot who at some point said that his kids have always thought that this forum is kind of crazy because people are quite nice to one another, by and large. Don't know about you, but personally, I liked it that way - seems to do Leonard justice!
P.S.: I wouldn't call it "monitoring", but, yes, I had been aware of an reading the forum for quite some time before I finally joined!
"You thought that it could never happen / to all the people that you became"...
Love Calls You By Your Name
sue7

Post by sue7 »

Re naf's post and the discussion following it: sometimes I get the feeling that there are a few people who join a group like this with the primary objective being to become the focus of attention and create a little storm of some sort. The most effective way of doing that is to write in an insulting or degrading way about something people value or honor. Perhaps the best way for us to deal with naf is to simply ignore him/her. I have seen that done elsewhere on a listserv, and the person actually began sending messages asking why his post had not created more anger and bad reaction... eventually he went away, presumably to another community where he could upset people.
Best wishes,
Sue
Paula

Post by Paula »

I agree Sue either ignore the rant or engage it either way you break your teeth.

This forum is still very civilised I think, but sometimes as in life some one says black is white just to watch the (over)reaction.
Dublin 14th June, Manchester 20th June, O2 17th July, Matlock Bandstand Aug 28, O2 14th November, Royal Albert Hall 17th and 18th November 2008, MBW 11th July 2009, Liverpool Echo 14th July 2009
dick

Post by dick »

Some good news ---

Hotel Chelsea is so pleased with the plaque we are doing that they have agreed to give Leonard Cohen Forum members a 10% discount on their rooms the weekend of the Madison Square Garden concert -- 10/23 - 10/25.

Linda and I will definitely do an overnight there on the 23rd, and that becomes a strong reason for doing the dedication on that date. Nothing in concrete yet, but will let you know here.

Thanks again for all the great support I have been getting!

Dick
Birdonawire

Post by Birdonawire »

That's great news Dick. Seems like they really appreciate what you're doing.

Now, if you can arrange a free flight for me from Ireland, front row centre tickets to the gig, and an extra 90% discount on one of
those rooms, then I'll see you there. :lol:
New York (Joe's Pub), April 24th 2007 / Dublin, June 14th 2008 / Dublin, June 15th 2008 / New York, February 19th 2009 / Dublin, July 20th 2009 / Barcelona, September 21st 2009 / Sligo...here I come!

Return to “Leonard Cohen 75 years (September 21, 2009)”