CONCERT REPORTS: Dublin, July 19, 20, 22, 23

Europe and Israel (July 1 - September 24, 2009). Concert reports, set lists, photos, media coverage, multimedia links, recollections...
DrHGuy

Re: CONCERT REPORTS: Dublin, July 19, 20, 22, 23

Post by DrHGuy »

Browsing through jemtreadwell's wonderful scrapbook of articles pertinent to Leonard Cohen from the 1970s UK music press at http://www.jemtreadwell.com/cohen/scrapbook (also see thread: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=14747&start=0&st=0& ... =scrapbook), I found this from a review of Leonard Cohen's "Dublin tour debut" on Page 3:
dublin.jpg
dublin.jpg (33.95 KiB) Viewed 4631 times
It looks as though, save the set list order, the review for the Dublin concert was written 30+ years ago.
burningviolin

Re: CONCERT REPORTS: Dublin, July 20

Post by burningviolin »

Report on Dublin Monday 20th.

Can't really add anything that hasn't already been said, most wonderful concert. Was way way liverlier than Liverpool and I enjoyed it much more than Liverpool. I thought despite a cold or sore throat or whatever he had LC was really up for it as were the band. Great energy from the start right throught to the end. The crowd were really energic and at one point I felt it was almost getting rowdy which wasn't so good. (It reminded me of Christy Moore gig, he seems to carefully 'manage' the audience which is annoying but the idea is to not clap along to everything, if they did, it would just ruin things as everything deteriorates into a sing song. He does allow the audience to clap along in some parts and its obvious like Lisdoonvarna...but anyway....) I was so glad Marianne 'deteriorated' into a sing song, it was brilliant.

The set list is really well put together, it undulates nicely with changing tempi and the reading of the poem seemed to come at exactly the right time. I also loved the extra verses on that. Comparing it to Liverpool again I felt the concert wasn't as rushed. LC did interact with the audience more and I felt it wasn't happening at as relentless a pace as on July 14th. There was a little gap between songs when the mood called for it. I do like it when he speaks to the audience or says thank you or watever because it allows the audience to catch their breath between songs as well!!

One other thing that stands out (there were lots, won't mention them all) was So Long Marianne when he stoped to listen to the audence sing and in I'm your man, the crowd sang along with the 'I'm your man' parts and on the last one LC let the crowd sing it (crowd didn't allow for slowing down at the end thats usually in there) and said, 'yes, thats right, thank you'!

Sound quality was excellent, I was seated on the flat out to the right so was close to the speakers which I liked. From the look of the seating chart I thought it was going to be a fairly bad seat but it was quite good actually.
The band were of course excellent. I'm not really familiar with Boogie Street but I like to hear Sharon Robinson sing it. Its so funky and thats parly what I like about LC's music, ranges from Country and Western to funky to Jazzy to Waltz. He has a compositional style as all composers do but he's able to dip into loads of genres to make it work. I also enjoyed watching Roscoe's 'conducting' the band on the slow intro and ending of the song using the neck of the bass guitar. I also thought (perhaps its very subjective of me) 'If it be your will' seemed to take some of the 'rowdy' wind out of the crowds sail as it was half way through Closing Time that things started to get lively again...for me anyway. Neil Larson was hopping out of his seat on the solo for Halleluiah, loved that. Was more subdued in Liverpool I thought. And Raphael, dropping his drum stick after throwing it up to catch it during his 'I tried to leave you' solo had everyone clapping the beat and a smiling LC picking it up to hand to him. Excellent.

Anyone know what it was that was shouted that made him laugh?

It was also really nice to meet Olley and Birdonawire before the show in the Harbourmaster, by happy coincidence Bird and myself were seated next to each other in the third row. Thanks to both of you for the company it greatly enhanced my concert going experience!

Thanks to whoever posted the link to the Dave Fanning interview, really good interview. Much more interesting than recent CBC one. it was really interesting!

LC is a such a good performer, seems to sing things with a different enphasis every time, his records are wonderful but hes very much a live performer has to be seen to be believed. So glad I have been able to see him do his thing, twice now. Roll on Belfast!!
2009 Liverpool 14/07/09, Dublin 20/07/09, Belfast 26/07/09, Lisbon 30/7/09, Barcelona 21/09/09.
2010 Sligo (x2), Lille 25/09/10 Las Vegas 11/12/2010
2012 Wembley 8/9/12, RHK 11/9/12
O2 London 2013 O2 Dublin 2013
"I've been where you're hanging, I think I can see how you're pinned."
Olwen

Post by Olwen »

Just to let you know about the delay between the voice and the video- its not just Leonard Cohen. I was at another concert in the O2 Dublin on July 3rd, and it was exactly the same. So technically they should get it sorted out. Anyway to get back to Leonard Cohen - I was there Monday night and he was brilliant. I was in Block c which was pretty good - but would have liked to be nearer of course! I thought he sang really well, and the musicians and backing singers were great too. He is so comfortable with his audience - I just hope he had as good a time as we did. Perhaps we should all contact the o2 Dublin and point out to them the problem with the video screens! I look forward to my next Leonard Cohen concert. :)
Olwen
Plymouth 1976, Kilmainham Dublin 2008, 02 Dublin 2009, Lissadel Sligo 2010,
Kilmainham, Dublin 2012, 02 Dublin 2013, Leonard Cohen Dublin Event 2014.
Happygirl

Post by Happygirl »

Thanks burningviolin for reminding us of a few of the lovely subtleties of Monday night's gig, particularly this one (sigh...):
in I'm your man, the crowd sang along with the 'I'm your man' parts and on the last one LC let the crowd sing it (crowd didn't allow for slowing down at the end thats usually in there) and said, 'yes, thats right, thank you'!
I also enjoyed the perfect mix of faster and slower songs, I thought the audience was quite good at gauging when it was OK to chime in and when it was time to be quiet. Where I was sitting there were a few good singers around me so it was lovely to share the 'singalong songs' with everyone, especially as we were not so close to the front this time. Memories to treasure for a lifetime.

P.S. For me, nothing will ever beat Lucca in July 2008 when some of us crept to the front for the encores and crouched behind the first couple of seats for the finale. Kneeling on the ground, tears streaming down my face, stars above us, I was thinking there is nowhere in the whole wide world I would rather be now...
I lit a thin green candle {in Barcelona} to make you jealous of me
Dublin 13th July 08 - Lucca 27th July 08 - Dublin 19th, 20th, 22nd, 23rd July 09 - Barcelona 21st Sept 09 http://lifeisafestival.wordpress.com/
IrishMar

Post by IrishMar »

Lovely review burningviolin. A gentleman shouted up a request for Alexandra Leaving at one point, Leonard didn't catch it and turned to Sharon, he laughed then. I suppose we could keep him an extra three hours with requests.

Mydoglorca, at one point Leonard said "It's every artist's dream to get a welcome like you have given us this evening". I think that is the line you are looking for.

I know there is already a YouTube recording of this, but here is my Thousand Kisses Deep recording from the night

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88k-oC5GSYg

Marie
2008 DUB3 LDN Helsinki LDN Paris MAN
2009 NYC Boston Weybridge DUB4 Belfast Lisboa Bratislava Barcelona Chicago LV SJ
2010 Zagreb Sligo2 Berlin Ghent2 Firenze Marseille Katowice Bratislava Victoria Vancouver LV2
2012 Ghent2 A'dam2 Helsinki DUB4 Verona Paris2 Boston2
2013 NYC Brussels Prague Vienna Zurich MAN
Red Poppy

Post by Red Poppy »

Does anyone know what Leonard had for his breakfast this morning? :lol:
Aido

Post by Aido »

Red Poppy wrote:No not a wind up. In the Ierne ballroom, Parnell Square,not with his own band though. Joe Dolan's old band - the Drifters.
Mixture of his own songs and covers of Joe's songs. 700 tickets only.
Stop it Red Poppy. This is going beyond a joke. Wind up merchant of the year award on its way....
Kilmainham 2008 (1st night!), O2 London 2008, O2 Dublin 2009, Lissadell 2010, Kilmainham 2012 (2 nights).
donalm

Post by donalm »

Hi guys , still recovering from a fantastic Sunday, I just want to thank my buddies Rob and Babs for a great day and of course the "sublime Mooney sisters".
Pity about the O2 sync and yes it was their fault not LC production team as blamed !!
Birdonawire

Post by Birdonawire »

Red Poppy wrote:Does anyone know what Leonard had for his breakfast this morning? :lol:
I hear from a reliable source that when he's in Dublin, Leonard eats nothing but a good big bowl of Dublin coddle, morning, noon and night.
He says it's the only thing that gets him through his hectic schedule.
New York (Joe's Pub), April 24th 2007 / Dublin, June 14th 2008 / Dublin, June 15th 2008 / New York, February 19th 2009 / Dublin, July 20th 2009 / Barcelona, September 21st 2009 / Sligo...here I come!
Laura

Post by Laura »

Birdonawire wrote: I hear from a reliable source that when he's in Dublin, Leonard eats nothing but a good big bowl of Dublin coddle, morning, noon and night.
What's that? (sigh, english again...)

Laura
Lumi2414

Post by Lumi2414 »

Laura,

Check this out: chefmomcooks.blogspot.com/2008/03/irish-cooki...

"Dating back as early as the eighteenth century, this traditional supper dish of sausages, bacon, onions and potatoes isn't the most culinary artistic meal to place in front of you, but its taste is spectacular, particularly on rainy days and cold nights.

"Coddle" is a generic cooking term which means "to cook slowly and gently below the boiling point" which makes this a perfect crockpot meal. As a matter of fact, in Dublin, coddle is THE quintessential slow-cooked meal served with sides of Guinness and soda bread.

This is an easy to prepare one pot meal, adapted for a crockpot, and its simplicity belies its amazing taste and flavor - comfort food at its best!"

Hope this helps :-)
Birdonawire

Post by Birdonawire »

I concur!

Couldn't have said it better myself, I mean it!!!

As we say about coddle here in Dublin, It's a hug in a bowl.
New York (Joe's Pub), April 24th 2007 / Dublin, June 14th 2008 / Dublin, June 15th 2008 / New York, February 19th 2009 / Dublin, July 20th 2009 / Barcelona, September 21st 2009 / Sligo...here I come!
margaret

Post by margaret »

Is it widely available in pubs or cafes in Dublin? I'll be over there soon for a short break!
Birdonawire

Post by Birdonawire »

Not too sure Margaret. I know some people fry sausages first then add to pot. Scandalous! Here's how I do it:

Ingredients:

Potatoes.
Onions.
Carrots (if desired).
Rashers (bacon).
Sausages (not fried or otherwise previously cooked!).
Water.

Now, put all ingredients into pot, cover with water, bring to the boil then simmer. When potatoes are done that's it. Done!

(It may be necessary to skim off some of the fat that rises to the surface)

I sometimes put chicken stock into the pot but you don't really have to. The finished article looks off-putting but it really tastes great.

Enjoy.
MaryB

Post by MaryB »

IrishAl - thanks for the 'So Long Marianne' video. This proves that you Dublin audiences are the best for audience participation - Sharon's smile in the beginning of the video is great evidence of this - PRICELESS!
1993 Detroit 2008 Kitchener June 2-Hamilton June 3 & 4-Vienna Sept 24 & 25-London RAH Nov 17 2009 NYC Feb 19-Grand Prairie Apr 3-Phoenix Apr 5-Columbia May 11-Red Rocks Jun 4-Barcelona Sept 21-Columbus Oct 27-Las Vegas Nov 12-San Jose Nov 13 2010 Sligo Jul 31 & Aug 1-LV Dec 10 & 11 2012 Paris Sept 30-London Dec 11-Boston Dec 16 2013 Louisville Mar 30-Amsterdam Sept 20

Return to “The Summer Tour in Europe 2009”