CONCERT REPORTS: Dublin, July 19, 20, 22, 23

Europe and Israel (July 1 - September 24, 2009). Concert reports, set lists, photos, media coverage, multimedia links, recollections...
Bock the Robber

Re: CONCERT REPORTS: Dublin, July 19, 20, 22, 23

Post by Bock the Robber »

Gay Byrne, you say? The man who spent years disparaging and laughing at Leonard Cohen on his radio show?

Can this be possible?
table top joe

Post by table top joe »

Bock the Robber wrote:Gay Byrne, you say? The man who spent years disparaging and laughing at Leonard Cohen on his radio show?

Can this be possible?

Really? i saw him there too.....what did he say about The Great One? ive never liked Gay Byrne but i thought he cant be all bad if he was at a Leonard Cohen gig,would be interesting to know what the bandwagon jumpers thought of the show too,i cant imagine what the gig would be like for someone who doesnt worship the man :razz:
IrishAL

Post by IrishAL »

VIdeo Links.

Two songs from last nights concert. The crowd really got going with so long Marianne:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TYH47y3SyAg

followed by Tower of song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_DcnrGB97_c

enjoy.

Albert
2008: Dublin x2 London Helsinki London RAH M'chester
2009:
New York Weybridge Dublin x2 Belfast Lisbon Bratislava, B'celona Chicago L' Vegas, San Jose
2010: Zagreb Sligo x2 Berlin Gent x2 Florence Marseille Katowice Bratislava L' Vegasx2
2012 Gent x2 Amsterdam X2 Dublin x4 Verona Paris x2,Boston
2013NewYork,Brussels,Prague,Vienna,Zurich,Manchester,Birmingham,Dublinx2,London,Rotterdam,Amsterdam
Bock the Robber

I remember when Lenny released I'm Your Man, hearing Gay Byrne on the radio slowly reading out the words of Can't Forget:

I can't forget. [Pause]

I can't forget [pause]

I can't forget but I don't remember what [patronising chuckle]

Well my friends [chuckle] that's what they call songwriting these days. Oh dear, oh dearie me.

That was Gaybo for you. I'm glad he got sense in the end and realised he was dealing with someone of genuine stature.
Last edited by Bock the Robber on Mon Jul 27, 2009 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
table top joe

Post by table top joe »

Interesting,i can definitely hear the smug fecker saying that......Jesus he used to bug me,a very irritating man
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Another great show from The Man. Lucky as I was to get a seat in block D I was able to just about ignore the out-of-synch screens. I was singing along with everything , really getting in to it. That band - so tight! A really excellent show.

Sitting next to me was a reviwer for The Evening Herald . Her comments , in todays 'paper, don't seem to be in their online edition, so I've scanned them from the print edition -

DEE O'KEEFFE

CHOOSING to ignore Randy Newman’s advice, Leonard Cohen takes his hat off. A lot. Mainly while it's being tipped towards his fellow musicians as a sign of appreciation for the fact that they too are responsible for the on-stage magic.

His first gig in the 02 last night was absolute magic. Part of what makes him such a class act is the fact that his stage shows are purely about the poetry. There are no gimmicks - unless you count two of his 'angels', aka backing singers ,doing a wee cartwheel at one point. All people want to get from his shows is a chance to listen to his words of wisdom.

It's rare to witness a live performance where the main attraction, the person who gets the bums on the seats, is so willing to give centre stage to his colleagues, but this is all part of the Cohen act.

He's particularly generous to, and quite rightly so, his co-writer Sharon Robinson. While Cohen basically `speaks' his lyrics Robinson does indeed have the voice of. an angel (and is a dead ringer for Michelle Obama to boot).

Most of what the fans consider to be his favourite numbers are on the programme, kicking of with In My Secret Life, Bird on the Wire, There Ain't No Cure For Love, Everybody Knows, Tower of Song and many more follow.

He slips in Hallelujah in the first half and the funny thing is that one of the most iconic songs in the history of music does not over-shadow the man who penned it.

Cohen is one of those male rarities. Women swoon and men want to bring him for a pint. And you just know he would not disappoint.
You forget that he is now 74. Particularly when you see him , skipping off stage (no exaggeration) and then skip, back on for three encores. He's poetry in motion and I will now be able to (eventually) die a happy woman.
Bock the Robber

So the Herald had no adults to send, then?

Pity.
Heike

Post by Heike »

Hi everyone,

Only just returned from Sunday's concert in Dublin and I must say that it was just a-ma-zing again :D !
It seemed to me that Leonard and the musicians had a lot of fun on stage, at least I noticed that he was dancing and they were all smiling more than at earlier concerts. Not a surprise really considering the warm reception and everybody singing along (and perfectly in tune :) ) to "So long, Marianne" and "Famous Blue Raincoat".
And you can certainly imagine how I felt when Leonard embarked on my favourite part of the show, the recital of "A Thousand Kisses Deep". If anyone remembers the last four lines that Leonard changed, please post them here. Thank you!

Thanks for the nice company at Jury's Inn go to Karin & Rainer, Tony, and especially to Jim, who initiated my trip in a way, and his lovely family.
2008: Lörrach/Berlin/Frankfurt/Oberhausen/Manchester
2009: Cologne/Dublin/Barcelona
2010: Berlin/Wiesbaden/Lisboa/Dortmund/Stuttgart/Warszawa
2012: Ghent, August 12/Berlin/Lisboa
2013: Oberhausen/Berlin
mamcglynn09

Post by mamcglynn09 »

Just arrived back in Drogheda after Monday night concert in the 02/Point - just blown away.....again. LC seemed in great form tonight, the synch was better, the band seemed relaxed. Maybe I just had better seats (right in front of the stage).
this show keeps getting better and better. Audience totally in love with Leonard and his music. Also appreciative of the multi-talented band.
Need another fix of live LC and band....help, this addiction is fast spiralling out of all control.
Guys, if ye have tickets for Dublin on 22nd or 23rd - ye are in for a mighty treat.
Keep us posted. :D
Marianne09
2008 - Edinburgh; Cardiff; Manchester.
2009 - Liverpool, July 14th; Dublin July 19,20,21st; Belfast July 26th; Barcelona - Sep 21st
2010 - 31st July & 1st August, Sligo ; 21st September, Marseilles; 10th, 11th December, Las Vegas
2012 - 12th; 14th September, Dublin.
JudasPriest

Post by JudasPriest »

Yep,I enjoyed Monday more too although the fact I had excellent seats obviously helped. Thought the voice was a little more commanding last night and the screens working properly was a relief.
paulbond66

Post by paulbond66 »

Hi all I met lc last year in dublin stayed in same hotel he came down for breakfasyt very humble posed for pics truly a gentleman ok went to two concerts in dublin 2008 they where very special you cant repeat that setting and the rain and the first time after all those years it was very very special Went to O2 on sunday block d row 14 very good view at the break having a cig i heard people saying he was miming this is and was stupid of course he wasnt but the screens where a joke i was delighted he did partisan and especially Famous blue raincoat in my humble opion his best song from his best album nowhere does a crowd like a Dublin crowd (and im english) my god they are brillent and of course so is LC the word genius is used too much but he is a Genius Thanks LC and safe trip and for those of you still to go enjoy we will never see his like again lots of love p
tinderella

Post by tinderella »

Lucky you paul. Has anyone met The Man yet this year in Dublin?
kencowley

Post by kencowley »

Great show last night in Dublin (night 2)
Here's my review, if anyone interested;
http://samsonsdiner.blogspot.com/
IrishMar

Post by IrishMar »

It is wonderful to have Leonard in Dublin. Last night was, in his own word, sublime. I really enjoyed Sunday night but I felt Monday had the edge, if that is possible. Leonard and the band were in great spirits, still really giving it their all and still keeping it fresh, the outpouring of love from the audience is incredible.

I have posted the set list in the appropriate thread. One big highlight for me was the additional verse in A Thousand Kisses Deep. I recorded it but I need Albert's help to get it to YouTube. Here are the beautiful words;

Don't matter if the road is long don't matter if it's steep
Don't matter if the moon goes out and the darkness is complete
Don't matter if we lose our way it's written that we'll meet
At least that's what I heard you say a thousand kisses deep
Well that's my story I admit it's broken and it's bleak
but all the twisted peices fit a thousand kisses deep

I am always touched by his humility. At the end of the evening after his blessing he said "It is such a great privilege to be accepted in this land of great song and poetry". Leonard we LOVE you.

Hope he doesn't mind the Irish rain on his day off!

Great to meet Forum members on both nights.

Marie
2008 DUB3 LDN Helsinki LDN Paris MAN
2009 NYC Boston Weybridge DUB4 Belfast Lisboa Bratislava Barcelona Chicago LV SJ
2010 Zagreb Sligo2 Berlin Ghent2 Firenze Marseille Katowice Bratislava Victoria Vancouver LV2
2012 Ghent2 A'dam2 Helsinki DUB4 Verona Paris2 Boston2
2013 NYC Brussels Prague Vienna Zurich MAN
clionamhic

Post by clionamhic »

Thanks so much for the extra words for Thousand kisses deep. I remembered that they were so beautiful, but damned if I could recall them.

Once again what an AMAZING concert from a truly beautiful man. Is it possible to feel love in every cell of your body, literally? Words fail me, but that is what I felt both from and for the man. Thank you so much Leonard. May light and love be with you always.

Return to “The Summer Tour in Europe 2009”