Live at the Isle of Wight (1970) > BluRay/DVD/CD/LP

News about Leonard Cohen and his work, press, radio & TV programs etc.
Eskimo

Re: Leonard Cohen Live At The Isle Of Wight 1970 Coming In Sept.

Post by Eskimo »

....very exciting news....hopefully Columbia/Legacy will find it worth their while to follow up with (many) more as Tom Sakic suggests....something along the line of what Columbia has done with Dylan's "bootleg series"....
LisaLCFan

Post by LisaLCFan »

I'm very excited about this! I just love watching Leonard live, and it will be nice to have an addition to Live in London. It would also be great if Sony (or anyone, I don't care!) would release not just CDs but DVDs of previous concerts. There are so many clips on YouTube, so really good footage is obviously available from many of his tours. Bring them on!
jarkko
Site Admin

Post by jarkko »

really good footage is obviously available from many of his tours
Actually there isn't. Some footage filmed for TV during the 1988 and 1993 tours, but not many complete concerts. And in many cases the quality leaves a lot to be desired. The lightning of San Sebastian 1988 is pretty dark and they used only a few cameras. Also, the master recording in the archive of the Spanish TV has Spanish subtitles that cannot be removed. TV companies in Norway and Iceland have some good stuff. And of course Austin City Limits 1988 and 1993.
My wishful thinking would also include three documentaries (Palmer 1974, Rasky 1980, BBC 1988). Shorter items (could be useful as bonus items!) would be Rockpop Special 1979 and I'm a Hotel 1983. Let's hope Stina Dabrowski will put her two LC documentaries (Mt Baldy and Paris 2001) also on one DVD now when Armelle Brusq's Mt Blady documentary has been released. - The rights issues will make it very difficult to release ANY of these on DVD, but let's hope for the best!
1988, 1993: Helsinki||2008: Manchester|Oslo|London O2|Berlin|Helsinki|London RAH|| 2009: New York Beacon|Berlin|Venice|Barcelona|Las Vegas|San José||2010: Salzburg|Helsinki|Gent|Bratislava|Las Vegas|| 2012: Gent|Helsinki|Verona|| 2013: New York|Pula|Oslo|||
mutti

Post by mutti »

I love this photo of Leonard in 1970 at Isle of Wight! long hair looks gorgeous on him.
1988 Vancouver
2009 Victoria/Seattle/Almost Red Rocks/Las Vegas/San Jose.
2010 Sligo x 2/Victoria/Vancouver/Portland/Las Vegas x 2.
2012 Austin x 2/Seattle/Vancouver/Montreal x 2.
2013 Oakland x 2/New York City x 2/Winnipeg...
Undertow

Post by Undertow »

Thats brilliant news! We can compare it to Live in London side by side ;)

Maybe some of you oldies can spot yourselves in both :P
MarieM

Post by MarieM »

Here's something just posted from Isle of Wight. Audio only but it should whet our appetites for what is to come.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Siev43_pFs
Marie
Speaking Cohen
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Maybe some of you oldies can spot yourselves in both :razz:
Haha. That's funny, Undertow! How I'll love it if even one actually does.
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
AvidCohenFan

Post by AvidCohenFan »

Has this been confirmed yet? And will it include the really cool poem things like A Person Who Eats Meat?
somewhat_nifty

Post by somewhat_nifty »

Am seriously excited at the prospect of this DVD - the thought of being able to watch Leonard's performance of Sing Another Song, Boys (my favourite from SOLAH), long a fantasy, could soon be a reality! It's great to finally get to share in these events that happened before some of us here were born.
I'm chained to the old masquerade...
2008: London O2 14th Nov, RAH 18th Nov; 2009: NY RCMH 16th May, Weybridge MBW 11th July, Barcelona 21st Sept; 2010: Sligo 31st July, Lille 25th Sept, Las Vegas 11th Dec; 2012: Wembley Arena 8th Sept, Dublin 11th Sept 2013: London O2 21st June, London O2 14th Sept
jarkko
Site Admin

Post by jarkko »

According to Legacy Records, the street date is September 29, but it may still change.
1988, 1993: Helsinki||2008: Manchester|Oslo|London O2|Berlin|Helsinki|London RAH|| 2009: New York Beacon|Berlin|Venice|Barcelona|Las Vegas|San José||2010: Salzburg|Helsinki|Gent|Bratislava|Las Vegas|| 2012: Gent|Helsinki|Verona|| 2013: New York|Pula|Oslo|||
Undertow

Post by Undertow »

And we have a date too. Brilliant work.
table top joe

Post by table top joe »

Mabeanie1 wrote:
table top joe wrote:
never liked Lenny looking like a hippie(hes not Lenny without the sharp suit! :razz: )

Everyone looked like that in 1970! You should see our wedding photos ....

W

Oh i know.....ive seen my parents wedding photos from 1973 :razz:

Ive only just noticed that its a CD/DVD package! thought it was just DVD.....even more excited now!

Look at the bloody setlist!!Image

1. Bird On The Wire
2. So Long, Marianne
3. Let's Renew Ourselves Now (improvisation)
4. You Know Who I Am
5. Dead Song (poem)
6. Lady Midnight
7. They Locked Up A Man (poem)
8. A Person Who Eats Meat (poem)
9. One Of Us Cannot Be Wrong
10. The Stranger Song - solo
11. Tonight Will Be Fine
12. Hey, That's No Way To Say Goodbye
13. Diamonds In The Mine *
14. Suzanne
15. Sing Another Song, Boys
16. The Partisan
17. Famous Blue Raincoat!!!!Image
18. Seems So Long Ago, Nancy
John Etherington

Post by John Etherington »

I don't think there's much chance of those of us who were there spotting ourselves on the DVD. There was a press enclosure (maybe thirty yards wide) in front of the audience and it was dark, so the only thing I would expect to see are lighted matches!
tonys

Post by tonys »

Yeah it's not confirmed but why doesn't everyone who reads this sign up with AMAZON because it's not officially set for release...i don't know if Leonard Cohen sorted out his publishing problems or not...but legacy/sony is putting it out...i'm still waiting for them to finish up the regular cds with book(let) type treatment...i could careless about the bonus tracks but i do like the sonic upgrade the 1st 3 got...but this i'd rank ahead of those if it has the video to go along with the audio...but really sign up with amazon to get notified even if your not 100% sure of buying it at least you'd stimulate them to release it for those of who do want to buy it...i saw Leonard Cohen in the spring and he was in good spirits...his London DVD was similar to the concert as he said the same in between song banter...i guess even the banter is lines, but they all do it now that we can hear/see performers perform their concerts on a nightly bases...the internet has made us all closer whether we want to or not.
tomsakic

Post by tomsakic »

According to Amazon.com, release date is October 20, and it's DVD/CD box-set.

Return to “News”