'The Partisan' by 16 Horsepower / Noir Desir

Tributes & covers; Leonard's songs on the soundtracks and TV
johnny7moons

'The Partisan' by 16 Horsepower / Noir Desir

Post by johnny7moons »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SRHJiqfw ... L&index=12

This is one of the most passionate and compelling Cohen covers I’ve ever heard, so I thought I’d stick the link up here, and add a couple of words about the performers.

The first voice is David Eugene Edwards, the man behind ‘alt.country’ band Sixteen Horsepower and, latterly, Wovenhand. The closest reference-point for Edwards’ music is probably Nick Cave, but where Cave often seems to be using his Biblical imagery for artistic effect, Edwards’ religious material is the real deal – proper, God-fearing, red-state Christianity, fire and brimstone and eternal damnation and no ironic detachment here, this guy means every word of it in pure deadly earnest. If you want to listen further, this clip shows him in all his searing, spittle-flecked authenticity, singing one of his own songs, ‘Black Soul Choir’. “No man ever seen the face of his Foe, no, he ain’t made of flesh and bone…”

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bcg5WnShwHQ

The French lines are sung by Bertrand Cantat, the (ahem) troubled singer of French rock band Noir Desir. The words “French rock band” generally send a shiver of repulsion down any right-thinking person’s spine, but Noir Desir actually had some very fine moments – viz this clip for ‘Le Vent Nous Portera’.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eUvApC0bwUk

Even listening to them these days raises some uncomfortable feelings (Cantat is best known for serving several years in jail after accidentally killing his girlfriend in a drunken fight). I’d argue that their music – or some if it, at least – stands on its own merits, and doesn’t have to be viewed through the prism of those terribly sad events.
Lostlyric

Re: 'The Partisan' by 16 Horsepower / Noir Desir

Post by Lostlyric »

Thank you johnny7moons for sharing what you know about Noir Desir. I have had this track but didn't know it was 16 Horsepower featuring Noir Desir. And I have always admired the work of 16 Horsepower, Sackcloth 'n' Ashes especially. It would have been sublime if they could have retained the musical soul of their first album. Though I don't consider myself knowledgeable enough to comment on either David Edwards or Nick Cave's religious credentials or authenticity reflected in their body of work.

Biraj
"So if you're sitting all alone and hear a-knocking at your door and the air is full of promises, well buddy, you've been warned!!!"

Nick Cave on love
tomsakic

Post by tomsakic »

I have all WovenHand CDs and I was looking for The Partisan for years... Yesterday my copy of Les Inrockuptibles magazine arrived, and there it was, The Partisan (by 16horsepower) on the attached CD:)
Lostlyric

Post by Lostlyric »

Wow!! I must check out Wovenhand. By the way Tom how many CDs have Wovenhand put out, and if you can give me their titles I would very much appreciate it.

Thanks in advance,

Biraj
"So if you're sitting all alone and hear a-knocking at your door and the air is full of promises, well buddy, you've been warned!!!"

Nick Cave on love
tomsakic

Post by tomsakic »

CDs are:
Wovenhand - 2002
Blush Music - 2003
Consider the Birds - 2004
Mosaic - 2006
Ten Stones - 2008

I bought Wovenhand, the yellow CD, when it came out, as it got some press (16horsepower were having some fame), and simultaneously the Blush Music CD was available. There was some chaos there, as Blush Music was based on music Wovenhand made for theatre play, so the same year there was another CD, with music only (so, without singing), that one being available only through mail order from Glitterhouse. I first heard for David Eugene Edwards/Wovenhand as he was in Mojo I think, saying that his music is based on God-Love-Murder concept by Johnny Cash, and that his triangle of influence is Cash-Cohen-Cave. Later I lost trace of his music, and I bought all CDs with some delay - Consider the Birds I saw in the store in Austria, I bumped into Mosaic on Amazon and ordered it immediately. I saw Ten Stones also online, but still didn't order that one.

I don't have any source of music news anymore, except for occasional copy of Mojo, and I'm not even sure is Wovenhand making it into the Mojo or Uncut magazine. Pitchfork bores me to death so I didn't check their website for years now, and Glitterhouse Records lost their distributor in my country. I simply don't know how to get new&good music anymore, or heard for it. Mostly, I heard about it occasionally here or somewhere online, while surfing, and then I download it...

Also: http://www.wovenhand.com/

I checked it thru our search engine: Wovenhand was mentioned many times, particularly in 2005: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=4013&st=0&sk=t&sd= ... =wovenhand - it was mentioned as one of favourite artists of many forum members. It was also mentioned in "Artists similar to Leonard Cohen" threads.
Lostlyric

Post by Lostlyric »

Thanks so much Tom:

This is good info. And I love the way you share the story behind your pursuit of this music. Indeed 16 Horsepower, and now Woven Hand they both belong to the genre of music I refer to as noirish. As do Nick Cave, Tom Waits, and Tindersticks. Of course Tom Waits is different thematically but I deeply admire his body of work. His most noirish albums I guess are "The Black Rider" and "Bone Machine". Of course the former is is more accessible compared to the latter.

Best,

Biraj

Nick Cave on love

Return to “Tribute concerts, Cover versions & Soundtracks”