Misheard Lyrics

Ask and answer questions about Leonard Cohen, his work, this forum and the websites!
mnkyface

Re: Misheard Lyrics

Post by mnkyface »

This one comes from my 7 year old daughter again...she is so used to listening to LC in the car. She will be seeing him in Lyon with us next month and is very excited. Her favorite song is Closing Time.

Anyway, we were listening to Boogie Street and it was this line:

The rivers and the waterfall,
Wherein I bathed with you.

She thought it was:
The rivers and the waterfall
We're in our bathing suits

hehehehehehehe
"In this world of shallow, he is the abyss."~ YouTube commenter greg450318

Post by Duddy Kravitz »

My younger brother (who died at 16 in 1979) always sang:
Is this what you wanted,
To live in a house that is haunted,
By the ghost of our Aunt Bea.
gammahay

Post by gammahay »

I imagined he wanted to run with an expert crowd instead of a "novice crowd".

(lawless crowd) (Anthem)
brokenhill

Post by brokenhill »

Given the sudden rise in awareness of "Hallelujah" in 2008 you have to wonder how many of the population are wondering what the great event known as "The Mafeking Composing" was all about, but worse, how many think the whole song is about
"The Minotaur in John Major's lift" :D
Still reliving every second of:1970 Isle of Wight, 1985 Birmingham, 2008 Manchester OH , Edinburgh, Cardiff, Bournemouth, Birmingham, 2009 Liverpool and ................ :o)
mnkyface

Post by mnkyface »

Another one from my daughter:

Lift me like an olive branch and "be my homework done"
(instead of "homeward dove" in Dance Me to the End of Love)

It makes sense, in a way, to be someone's homework done. It's a feeling of completeness and satisfaction to have your homework done. The line would be about wanting someone to make you feel that way, or wanting that person to do things for you selflessly.

I like it. Leonard would too, I think.
"In this world of shallow, he is the abyss."~ YouTube commenter greg450318

Post by friscogrl »

Mnkyface, I love your daughter's take on Leonard's lyrics. People say his songs mean different things to different people, and this person happens to be a clever seven year old girl.
-Frisco
Last edited by friscogrl on Fri Jan 02, 2009 7:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
2008 Toronto June 6/ 2009 New York Feb 19 Oakland April 13 14 Coachella April 17 Ottawa May 25 26 Barcelona Sept 21 Las Vegas 11/12 San Jose 11/13
2010 Malmo Aug 4 Gothenburg Aug 12 Las Vegas Dec 10 & 11
2012 Verona 9/24 San Jose 11/7. Montreal 11/28 11/29/ 2013 Oakland 3/2 NYC 4/6
Hamilton 4/9
AvidCohenFan

Post by AvidCohenFan »

Until a few days ago, I thought that after 'Destroy another fetus now' in The Future came 'But don't harm children anyhow' instead of 'We don't like children anyhow,' probably because of my pro-choice views. Can't remember any other ones right now.
kwills

Re:

Post by kwills »

songster wrote:For a long time I thought LC was singing in the song Democracy about "getting lost in that hopeless little scream"
I did too!
Manchester 19th June/Cardiff 8th Nov
hydriot

Post by hydriot »

I was disappointed to learn that the correct phrase is :"I'm junk, but I'm still holding up that little wild bouquet." I always heard it as :"I'm choked ...", which actually I think is stroger.
“If you do have love it's a kind of wound, and if you don't have it it's worse.” - Leonard, July 1988
AvidCohenFan

Post by AvidCohenFan »

In Bob Dylan's When The Night Comes Falling From The Sky I thought it went 'On the lawn with someone else's wife' instead of 'I don't wanna drown in someone else's wine'.
burningviolin

Post by burningviolin »

But you see that nightmare moving through the station....and not 'line there'.
Last edited by burningviolin on Wed Aug 18, 2010 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2009 Liverpool 14/07/09, Dublin 20/07/09, Belfast 26/07/09, Lisbon 30/7/09, Barcelona 21/09/09.
2010 Sligo (x2), Lille 25/09/10 Las Vegas 11/12/2010
2012 Wembley 8/9/12, RHK 11/9/12
O2 London 2013 O2 Dublin 2013
"I've been where you're hanging, I think I can see how you're pinned."
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

When he tells the officer he was just getting home late, I thought for almost forever that it was, "I was just getting laid... " which made a lot more sense as to WHY he was getting home late in the first place, and something that a man might say to a man [even though he's an officer], anticipating belief and understanding.
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
Evie B

Post by Evie B »

Hi Mnkyface

I also thought it was 'homework done' and I have a year or two on your daughter. I still think it's a rather nice line.

Also, until recently, like someone else, I thought it was 'something blonde' in Who by Fire.

I admit that I thought 'battle king' not baffled king.

I think I should go off and get a hearing aid, or maybe one of those wonderful horn things they used to use in days gone by, my opinion is they were rather regal. Not sure they would go down too well at Leonard Cohen concerts though, they could give the person sitting in the next seat a nasty crack on the head.

Evie
mnkyface wrote:Another one from my daughter:

Lift me like an olive branch and "be my homework done"
(instead of "homeward dove" in Dance Me to the End of Love)

It makes sense, in a way, to be someone's homework done. It's a feeling of completeness and satisfaction to have your homework done. The line would be about wanting someone to make you feel that way, or wanting that person to do things for you selflessly.

I like it. Leonard would too, I think.
...he shows you where to look amid the garbage and the flowers
Womanfromaroom

Post by Womanfromaroom »

Evie B wrote:
I think I should go off and get a hearing aid, or maybe one of those wonderful horn things they used to use in days gone by, my opinion is they were rather regal. Not sure they would go down too well at Leonard Cohen concerts though, they could give the person sitting in the next seat a nasty crack on the head.

Evie

Evie,

sorry for the somewhat silly association - but I am in the mood right now: "There is a crack in everything ... ". Imagine Darling (not our forum member, but the famous one!) sitting next to you, it might actually do him good... If that is how the light gets in... ;-)
"You thought that it could never happen / to all the people that you became"...
Love Calls You By Your Name
brightnow

Post by brightnow »

My misheard lyric is from "Blue Alert" and I just can't shake it. Even though I know it's "the innermost door", every now and then when I listen to the song and I'm tired or distracted then... "we're saying goodbye at the animal store" :?
Columbia May 11, 2009; Boston May 29, 2009; Durham November 3, 2009; Las Vegas December 10 & 11, 2010; Austin November 1, 2012; Boston December 15, 2012; Brooklyn December 20, 2012

Return to “Comments & Questions”