Yasmine died to-day

This section is for all other music-related topics
Judy

Re: Yasmine died to-day

Post by Judy »

Dominique BOILE posted this about Yasmine's CDs on the French LC Website

Yasmine était une artiste flamande, chantant en néerlandais ou en anglais, connue pour son travail très important dédié
à Leonard Cohen et à son oeuvre :

- 1 CD Vandaag - Het Morgen Van Gisteren en 2004 avec 14 adaptations de chansons de Leonard (en néerlandais).
- 1 livre en 2004, écrit avec Marc Hendrickx, biographie consacrée à Leonard Cohen intitulée Yesterday's Tomorrow, auquel est joint
le CD ci-dessus, mais chanté en anglais et avec 1 titre en plus.
- 1 DVD Live Vandaag en 2005, avec 19 chansons de Leonard (en néerlandais ou en anglais + 1 CD bonus avec 17 chansons
(les 14 du CD de 2004 en néerlandais + 3 autres titres en anglais).

Le premier CD (en néerlandais) est disponible sur le label V2.
Le second CD (en anglais) est disponible uniquement avec le livre publié en Belgique et en Hollande par Vitgeverij Van Halewyck.
Le DVD + le CD bonus sont disponibles sur le label Yas / Canvas.
Last edited by Judy on Mon Jul 06, 2009 9:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
nessler

Post by nessler »

http://www.proxis.be/BEEN/Product/Vanda ... 1Id=100005

there is also a dvd+cd (?)
http://www.proxis.be/BEEN/Product/Vanda ... 1Id=100005

the page can be seen in English so it should do the trick for you.
jarkko
Site Admin

Post by jarkko »

Info about her Cohen-related albums and DVD also at
http://www.leonardcohenfiles.com/yasmineCD.html
1988, 1993: Helsinki||2008: Manchester|Oslo|London O2|Berlin|Helsinki|London RAH|| 2009: New York Beacon|Berlin|Venice|Barcelona|Las Vegas|San José||2010: Salzburg|Helsinki|Gent|Bratislava|Las Vegas|| 2012: Gent|Helsinki|Verona|| 2013: New York|Pula|Oslo|||
Mabeanie1

Post by Mabeanie1 »

Thank you nessler!!

Very easy. I ordered the CD but may go on to the DVD later.

Total cost €19.49 including shipping to the UK in case anyone else is interested.

Wendy

Edit July 9: Just received an e-mail from Proxis to say that they are unable to supply the CD as it is out of print.
Last edited by Mabeanie1 on Thu Jul 09, 2009 8:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nessler

Post by nessler »

There may be copies left in some record stores over here so it might be possible
to send them to you cheaper, but I won't be visiting any store until Saturday.

btw, if anyone could buy me some Cohen plectrums at any gig do let me know.
scorp

Post by scorp »

scorp

Post by scorp »

And a solo performance of So Long Marianne...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_u7HxayTO0

and:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2pVmSOB-6OM

and Suzanne - in Belgian...oooh, like it but don't know the language :-0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fH5mveuWyoE

and a solo of Suzanne:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnPLE7wwER8 [ooooh, what a performance]
Wybe
Site Admin

Post by Wybe »

Yasmine loses lawsuit three days before suicide

Here in the "Gazet van Antwerpen"

http://www.gva.be/nieuws/media-en-cultu ... moord.aspx

Wijbe
2008 -- Brugge, Amsterdam, London, Berlin, Helsinki, Oberhausen, Rotterdam -- 2008
2009 -- Antwerpen, Venice, Barcelona .-- 2009
2010 -- 2 x Gent, Lille, 2x Las Vegas, -- 2010
2012 -- Gent, 2 x Amsterdam, Dublin, Verona -- 2012
2013 -- Pula, Rotterdam -- 2013
-- +++ https://www.icantforget.nl -- +++
Maarten

Post by Maarten »

Wybe,
I translated the newspaper article on demand of Henning, using an online translator and then adjusting the mistakes a bit...
Yasmine loses court case three days before commiting suicide

August 7 2009 (Gazet Van Antwerpen, Belgian newspaper)
The Leonard Cohen Tour that was so successful for Yasmine in 2004 and 2005, got a venomous tail barely a few days before her death. On June 22 2009 the singer was told that she had lost the court case that Marc Hendrickx - writer and creator of the Cohen Project - had filed against her.

On June 22 the Court of Appeal in Antwerp came to a negative judgement for Yasmine. She had to pay 10,000 euros to Hendrickx, and about 7500 euros in court costs. Three days later the singer would commit suicide.

"No comment"

In the days before her death, Yasmine talked about it with few people. "We don’t know anything" says her mother Anita Claes. "We left on vacation Monday, Hilde has only received that phone call on Tuesday." Michel Clavareau, Yasmine’s brother-in-law, confirms that Yasmine talked about the court case to him and his wife, but doesn’t want to respond any further.

When we get in touch with the counterparty, Marc Hendrickx, he initially wants to tell his story. As the date of publication comes closer, he backs out. "I have spoken with my lawyer and wish not to make statements," says the writer.

Interrelation / understanding

The facts go back to nine years ago, when Marc Hendrickx got the idea for a project on the Canadian singer Leonard Cohen. It would be a book with soundtrack, coupled with a theater tour. The first contacts took place in 2001, the first tour - under the title 'Yesterday's Tomorrow "- started at the end of 2004. Public and press responded enthusiastically and applications for the next season rolled in.

Meanwhile, it went wrong internally. The relationship between Yasmine and Marc Hendrickx went from bad to worse and on the occasion of a show in Brussels AB, it came to a court case. Earlier, the manager of Yasmine wrote a letter to Marc Hendrickx saying that Yasmine would perform her last "Yesterday's Tomorrow" on April 24, 2005. Then she would continue under a different title and without the quotes from the book by Marc Hendrickx.

"Caught cold / Caught off guard”

That night in the AB - on April 30, 2005 – Yasmine would perform “Today, Yesterday’s Tomorrow”, a concert with guest appearances . Hendrickx felt left out and put a lawyer on the case.

"Caught off guard by the incredibly bad, opportunistic decision of singer Yasmine and her management to abuse a project on which we have worked together in excellent harmony for her own ego and profit of money”, went the author then on his own website.

Hendrickx did not only file a law suit against Hilde Rens and her manager Johan Berckmans, but also against VRT (Belgian National TV) that would record the show. Hendrickx wanted to be involved. The judge rejected the demand of Hendrickx, and on September 18, the concert was broadcast on Canvas (Belgian National TV). Meanwhile, Yasmine continued with “Today, Yesterday’s Tomorrow”.

On appeal

Marc Hendrickx went on appeal against this decision and got his way in the Court of Appeal in Antwerp on June 22, 2009. Johan Berckmans, who was always the manager of Yasmine, does not want to respond to the facts and the ruling. "One thing you should know about Marc Hendrickx, I don’t want to talk to that man ever again nor see him ever again." The lawyer of Hilde Rens does not want to respond either.

By Eefje Rampaert

2008 Manchester | Bruges | Amsterdam | London | 2x Brussels | Rotterdam |2x London
2009 New York | Cologne | Antwerp | Venice | Colmar | Barcelona | Las Vegas | San José
2010 Salzburg | 2x Sligo | Helsinki | 3x Ghent | Lille | 2x Las Vegas
2012 5x Ghent | 2x A'dam | Helsinki | Dublin | Verona | 3x Paris | Lisboa
2013 Paris | Antwerp | Oberhausen | Brussels | Pula | Rotterdam | Amsterdam | 2x Wellington | Auckland
Maarten

Post by Maarten »

Personal note:

I'm not a big lover of Yasmine's Dutch music, but I have always thought of her as a good person. At the time of her tour and the book by Marc H., I stumbeled upon Marc's website, where he had some sort of a blog in which he indeed said that Yasmine was only interested in the Leonard Cohen Project for her own benefit and the money. Since I disliked Marc Hendrickx (he always seemed mister-know-it-all to me) and wanted to put something in defense for Yasmine, I reacted to his blog by sending him a personal email, asking him why he wrote these nasty things about his collaboration with Yasmine and that I did not believe that Yasmine was in it for the money only. I remember writing something like:

"Of course to some extend she's in it for the money, but so are you. You are a writer and your job is to write in order to make money. That's why you wrote the LC book. But to be part of such a big production on LC songs, she can't be in it just for the money, she must have warm feelings towards LC's music and your project. I don't judge any of you both, because I'm not involved in it and I totally don't know the background of this, but it's a real pitty that things are turning out this way. (...) Best regards, Maarten"

I can't remember ever getting a response to this...

Some time before this, I went to the Antwerp Book Fair (the largest book fair in Belgium) where both Yasmine and Marc were present to advertise for the book by Marc, which included a cd by Yasmine. I got two copies and let them sign both (one for myself, one "To Jarkko" which I sent to Jarkko later). They were really enjoying themselves there and when I asked to sign one book "To Jarkko", we talked briefly about the Hydra Event which they both attended before...

Maarten

2008 Manchester | Bruges | Amsterdam | London | 2x Brussels | Rotterdam |2x London
2009 New York | Cologne | Antwerp | Venice | Colmar | Barcelona | Las Vegas | San José
2010 Salzburg | 2x Sligo | Helsinki | 3x Ghent | Lille | 2x Las Vegas
2012 5x Ghent | 2x A'dam | Helsinki | Dublin | Verona | 3x Paris | Lisboa
2013 Paris | Antwerp | Oberhausen | Brussels | Pula | Rotterdam | Amsterdam | 2x Wellington | Auckland
jarkko
Site Admin

Post by jarkko »

On Hydra I had the pleasure of taking Yasmine, Marc and their camera crew to Leonard's house - they were filming around in the house for their forthcoming LC project. This was the Monday after our Event. I found Yasmine to be a very warm and nice lady. Later she sent me some of her CDs and DVDs for Leonard and myself. I was shocked to hear about her death and those most unfortunate things that made her to make such a terrible decision.
1988, 1993: Helsinki||2008: Manchester|Oslo|London O2|Berlin|Helsinki|London RAH|| 2009: New York Beacon|Berlin|Venice|Barcelona|Las Vegas|San José||2010: Salzburg|Helsinki|Gent|Bratislava|Las Vegas|| 2012: Gent|Helsinki|Verona|| 2013: New York|Pula|Oslo|||
Henning

Post by Henning »

Thanks for the translation - Maarten.
IT'S DARKER NOW
1979: Frankfurt | 1980: Frankfurt | 1985: Wiesbaden - Munich | 1988: Munich - Nuremberg | 1993: Frankfurt
2008: Dublin - Manchester - Amsterdam - Loerrach - Berlin - Frankfurt - Oberhausen - London
2009: Cologne - Barcelona | 2010: Wiesbaden - Dortmund
2012: Ghent - Moenchengladbach - Verona - Lisbon | 2013: Oberhausen - Mannheim - Pula
nshaw94

Post by nshaw94 »

whose Yasmine..May her soul rest in Peace :cry:

Return to “Other music”