A Broken Hallelujah

General discussion about Leonard Cohen's songs and albums
John K.

A Broken Hallelujah

Post by John K. »

On Tuesday night I'm at open mike, relaxing and listening to the performers since my own performance was done. A young lady gets up with a guitar and performs her first song, I forget what it was but that's not the point. She had a fantastic, soulful voice, really great, very talented, I loved it.

She strums a few chords to start her second song and, you guessed it, it's Hallelujah. A really, really, slow version. Her voice was still magnificent, but I found myself tired of it before the first line was completed.

I just feel like there's been way too much Hallelujah lately. I LOVED Hallelujah when it first came out, I loved it even more when John Cale did his version (which for me is the definitive cover version of it), and I was happy for Leonard when he got some attention because back in the Shrek days. It was an honor to perform it for all of you in NYC. But right now it seems like every singer does Hallelujah, and I would be happier to only hear Leonard perform it from this point on.

Am I the only one who feels this way?
I love to speak with John
He's a pundit and a fraud
He's a lazy banker living in a suit

http://www.johnkloberdanz.com
MaryB

Re: A Broken Hallelujah

Post by MaryB »

I'm with you aaaaall the way John (k.d. lang's is my favorite next to LC of course). Even LC has said something to that effect about giving it a rest. Let the master perform it only :D ! Although people have found LC through this song :? .

Warmest regards,
Mary
1993 Detroit 2008 Kitchener June 2-Hamilton June 3 & 4-Vienna Sept 24 & 25-London RAH Nov 17 2009 NYC Feb 19-Grand Prairie Apr 3-Phoenix Apr 5-Columbia May 11-Red Rocks Jun 4-Barcelona Sept 21-Columbus Oct 27-Las Vegas Nov 12-San Jose Nov 13 2010 Sligo Jul 31 & Aug 1-LV Dec 10 & 11 2012 Paris Sept 30-London Dec 11-Boston Dec 16 2013 Louisville Mar 30-Amsterdam Sept 20
seadove

Post by seadove »

I can never get tired of Hallelujah. :D
Womanfromaroom

Post by Womanfromaroom »

seadove wrote:I can never get tired of Hallelujah. :D
Oh, I can't, either - it is just that it will have to be one of Leonard's own versions (or maybe, just maybe Jeff Buckley sometimes), but that's it! ;-)
"You thought that it could never happen / to all the people that you became"...
Love Calls You By Your Name
tomsakic

Post by tomsakic »

"I was just reading a review of a movie called Watchmen that uses it and the reviewer said - 'Can we please have a moratorium on Hallelujah in movies and television shows?' And I kind of feel the same way."

Leonard Cohen, Q TV interview, 2009 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ugh8Xe6hX7U
John K.

Post by John K. »

Tom Sakic wrote:"I was just reading a review of a movie called Watchmen that uses it and the reviewer said - 'Can we please have a moratorium on Hallelujah in movies and television shows?' And I kind of feel the same way."

Leonard Cohen, Q TV interview, 2009 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ugh8Xe6hX7U
Isn't that funny, when the writer asks for a break from one of his own songs!
I love to speak with John
He's a pundit and a fraud
He's a lazy banker living in a suit

http://www.johnkloberdanz.com
Womanfromaroom

Post by Womanfromaroom »

Yes - I even seem to remember Leonard saying in the same interview something like "I like the song, but too many people are singing it. They should give it a rest for a while..." Well, yes, exactly!
somewhat_nifty

Post by somewhat_nifty »

I agree - I love the song, but for me it's such a 'Cohen' song that I have never really enjoyed it when anyone else sings it. The song was unavoidable in the UK about 6 months ago due to the X Factor, it was horrible hearing it turned into a showcase for vocal gynamstics. I'd be extremely happy if only Leonard sang it from now on :D
I'm chained to the old masquerade...
2008: London O2 14th Nov, RAH 18th Nov; 2009: NY RCMH 16th May, Weybridge MBW 11th July, Barcelona 21st Sept; 2010: Sligo 31st July, Lille 25th Sept, Las Vegas 11th Dec; 2012: Wembley Arena 8th Sept, Dublin 11th Sept 2013: London O2 21st June, London O2 14th Sept
Darling

Post by Darling »

I agree too. Only Leonard Cohen (and maybe K.D. Lang once in a while)...

It's especially irritating for me to hear Hallelujah blaring on the radio (sung by ???) while at the supermarket or other similar place, it's a song that deserves full attention and respect .
AdinaCohen29

Post by AdinaCohen29 »

I also watched the interview in which LC said, that the artist should 'Hallelujah' rest for a while.

Some days ago, I stood at the busstation and 2 young girls were hearing music with an I-Pod... at a time I hear the beginning of 'Hallelujah', but some kind of different then the original. I didn't knew who the singer was, but it was a female. The girls after the song ends ..'WoW, Leona (Lewis) is such a good songwriter - this song might be the greatest I've ever heard'

In this moment - I didn't know if I should laugh or cry! I wasn't able to enlighten the girls.

Adina

P.S.: Leona and songwriter in one sentence may be blood-curdling! She is maybe a good singer, but that's it.
Tho' your promise count for nothing
You must keep it nonetheless...
Heart with no Companion (Various Positions, Leonard Cohen)
musicmania

Post by musicmania »

I never ever tire of Leonard singing this or Jeff Buckley but I draw the line at anyone else. I'm not a fan of covers in general anyway as most are an insult to the original & I'd gladly never hear a cover version of any song ever again!!!
2009 Dublin 2010 Lissadell Katowice LV x2 2012 Ghent x2 Dublin x4 Montreal x2 Toronto x2 2013 New York x2 Brussels Dublin x2

Gwen's Leonard Cohen Journey: http://myleonardcohenjourney.wordpress.com/

"I did my best, it wasn't much"
Womanfromaroom

Post by Womanfromaroom »

At least in this case, I fully and totally agree! If anyone is still in doubt about how it should be - has to be! - performed, and wants to see how really (as at least I am firmly convinced) no one can really do it the same intense way as Leonard himself - just take a look at the absolutely breathtaking Dublin version that IrishAl has recorded and just kindly shared with us on Youtube and on the forum: Left me absolutely spellbound...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bLiVE1vK ... re=channel
Last edited by Womanfromaroom on Fri Jul 24, 2009 11:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
musicmania

Post by musicmania »

I know. I was there & it was amazing. He came alive during that song & I feel so privileged to have been there. I wish some one had recorded So long Marianne last night too as that was also a mind blowing performance. There is a video on you tube of one of the other nights but having been there last nights rendition was way better.
2009 Dublin 2010 Lissadell Katowice LV x2 2012 Ghent x2 Dublin x4 Montreal x2 Toronto x2 2013 New York x2 Brussels Dublin x2

Gwen's Leonard Cohen Journey: http://myleonardcohenjourney.wordpress.com/

"I did my best, it wasn't much"
MaryB

Post by MaryB »

I'm pretty sure you are referring to the video posted by IrishAl. I thought that rendition of So Long Marianne was the best I had seen to date. Not only was the audience participation spot on, but the band was having so much fun with it! If you say last night's was even better, I so hope, like you say, someone did get it on video! Having this would be like opening up a gift.
1993 Detroit 2008 Kitchener June 2-Hamilton June 3 & 4-Vienna Sept 24 & 25-London RAH Nov 17 2009 NYC Feb 19-Grand Prairie Apr 3-Phoenix Apr 5-Columbia May 11-Red Rocks Jun 4-Barcelona Sept 21-Columbus Oct 27-Las Vegas Nov 12-San Jose Nov 13 2010 Sligo Jul 31 & Aug 1-LV Dec 10 & 11 2012 Paris Sept 30-London Dec 11-Boston Dec 16 2013 Louisville Mar 30-Amsterdam Sept 20
Lilifyre

Post by Lilifyre »

It's nice to know I'm not the only one who feels that this song has been way over done. I am at the point where I literally cringe when I hear someone other than Leonard attempt to sing it. K. D. Lang does a good version, but I really can't stand the others. I really detest Rufus (and Martha) Wainwright's (did I spell their last name correctly?) versions. Neither of them have the voices or talent of their parents, IMHO.

I certainly agree with those who would propose this song off limits to any more covers.
Lili
"Well, that's my story
I admit it's broken and it's bleak
But all the twisted pieces fit
A 1000 kisses deep."

Return to “Leonard Cohen's music”