Words LC pronounces better than anyone in the world

General discussion about Leonard Cohen's songs and albums
wafflewaitress

Re: Words LC pronounces better than anyone in the world

Post by wafflewaitress »

....[/i]
Last edited by wafflewaitress on Mon Sep 12, 2022 2:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Womanfromaroom

Post by Womanfromaroom »

For me, although I just love his entire way of speaking, it will definitely have to be "out", too! And "thousand"... :) AAAAAND: "Shout" (as in "Democracy"!!!).
Edit: I will have to add "tonight"; and "core", and "answer"! As in the "Live in London"-recording, when he muses about the "do-dumm-dumm-de-do-dumm-dumm"-background in "Tower Of Song" and says that "tonight", he has "penetrated to the very core of things and stumbled on the answer"; three wonderful words in just two sentences! 8)
And, of course, I just love his way of speaking French!
Last edited by Womanfromaroom on Sat Jul 18, 2009 1:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
"You thought that it could never happen / to all the people that you became"...
Love Calls You By Your Name
TheSpice-BoxOfEarth

Post by TheSpice-BoxOfEarth »

I love the way he pronounces "wood" in Joan of Arc live version, it turns me on goose bumbs.
A cross on every hill
A star, a minaret
So many graves to fill
O love, aren’t you tired yet?

- The Faith, Leonard Cohen
burningviolin

Post by burningviolin »

Just adding LisBOA to the list here, check it out at 6:10 in IrishAl's excellent video...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMedaI-P0Ng :D
2009 Liverpool 14/07/09, Dublin 20/07/09, Belfast 26/07/09, Lisbon 30/7/09, Barcelona 21/09/09.
2010 Sligo (x2), Lille 25/09/10 Las Vegas 11/12/2010
2012 Wembley 8/9/12, RHK 11/9/12
O2 London 2013 O2 Dublin 2013
"I've been where you're hanging, I think I can see how you're pinned."
schubert

Post by schubert »

The way he sings the la las at the end of Sing another song boys,awesome!! :D :razz: 8)
LisaLCFan

Post by LisaLCFan »

burningviolin wrote:Just adding LisBOA to the list here, check it out at 6:10 in IrishAl's excellent video...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMedaI-P0Ng :D
Oh, yeah! That's wonderful!
LisaLCFan

Post by LisaLCFan »

[quote="friscogrl"]I love the way he pronounces "balloons" in the live version of Memories on Field Commander Cohen.
"Bahlooons"! :)

A related (for the "oo"s) and wonderful pronounciation of a word is when LC sings "loom" in Winter Lady ("she weaves it [her hair] on a loom"). I love that!
somewhat_nifty

Post by somewhat_nifty »

schubert wrote:The way he sings the la las at the end of Sing another song boys,awesome!! :D :razz: 8)
One of my favourites! Who'd have thought he could get so much feeling into 'la'!
I'm chained to the old masquerade...
2008: London O2 14th Nov, RAH 18th Nov; 2009: NY RCMH 16th May, Weybridge MBW 11th July, Barcelona 21st Sept; 2010: Sligo 31st July, Lille 25th Sept, Las Vegas 11th Dec; 2012: Wembley Arena 8th Sept, Dublin 11th Sept 2013: London O2 21st June, London O2 14th Sept
Lilifyre

Post by Lilifyre »

There are 2 simple words that I just love. They may have already been mentioned...sorry, I didn't go back to read all the previous posts to this thread. I love the way he says "been"........always "bean" and the word "again" which he always says "a-gayn"....uses the long "e" and long "a" sounds respectively. It's just Leonard-speak and one of his endearing qualities.

Lili
Lili
"Well, that's my story
I admit it's broken and it's bleak
But all the twisted pieces fit
A 1000 kisses deep."
LisaLCFan

Post by LisaLCFan »

I love the way he pronounces words that normally have a long i sound, like "time", which he tends to pronounce with an extended softish "a" sound, saying "taam", and "my" which he says "maa", "life" is "laaf", etc. I just love that, it's very Leonard.
CinCin

Post by CinCin »

Yearns from Joan of Arc - I just got Songs of Love and Hate a week or so ago, and I can't stop listening to it. And I have to admit when he sings the Wisdom of Old in Live in London, it goes straight to a certain part of my anatomy. As his voice has deepened it has become so visceral. I keep editing this to take out the words that really describe the physical effects. Are we allowed to use those?
From bitter searching of the heart, we rise to play a greater part. Frank Scott (Although I would never have heard it if it weren't for Leonard Cohen).

Phoenix, April 2009; Nashville, Nov. 5, 2009; San Jose, Nov. 13, 2009.
GinaDCG

Post by GinaDCG »

I love to hear accents and construct in my head threads connecting one regionalism to another. I grew up bi-lingual: I can speak deep, Appalachian (aka Shakespeare's pronunciation) as well as standard Mid-western American English (with a hint of Southern.) (My parents required one accent; my friends on the street demanded another.) And whenever someone from outside Appalachia pronounces a word in an Appalachian way I find it fascinating. So (forgive the prologue:) the way Leonard pronounces "grown" -- as in gro-wen" in "My body has grown numb."

Who would'a thunk? A Candian with a (limited) Raleigh County accent?
Mollydog

Post by Mollydog »

I totally agree with you, Gina. I especially love the way he says it at the beginning of Sing Another Song, Boys - Let's sing another song, boys, this one has grown old and bitter.

Mary
1972 London/1974 London/1985 Montreal/1993 Ottawa/2008 Montreal,London O2/2009 NYC Beacon,Kingston,Ottawa X 2,Barcelona,Las Vegas,San José/2010 Malmo,Las Vegas X 2/2012 Verona,Vancouver,Montreal X 2,Ottawa,Kingston/2013 NYC, Hamilton
schubert

Post by schubert »

Yeah I love that one too Mollydog. :) :neutral:
mnkyface

Post by mnkyface »

I completely, blissfully understand, CinCin. :lol: That line was what first hooked me on Leonard, as a matter of fact.
CinCin wrote:And I have to admit when he sings the Wisdom of Old in Live in London, it goes straight to a certain part
"In this world of shallow, he is the abyss."~ YouTube commenter greg450318

Return to “Leonard Cohen's music”