"Leonard Cohen Live in London" > DVD & 2CD (April 2009)

News about Leonard Cohen and his work, press, radio & TV programs etc.
jarkko
Site Admin

Re: "Leonard Cohen Live in London" - DVD & 2CD - April 2009

Post by jarkko » Sun May 31, 2009 1:18 pm

Record Collector, June 2009:

***** (of *****)
Dance me to the end of, erm, the Greenwich Peninsula

Had X factor been years earlier in jump-starting the fortunes of Leonard Cohen's Hallelujah - resulting in tidy royalties from three versions scaling the singles charts to varying heights - the song's writer might never have played this wonderful show at the O2 Arena. He's gone on record saying he was swindled out of close to $5 million and needed to beef up his pension fund, so the 73-year old staged his first tour for 15 years.

It's unthinkable now to entertain the notion of that tour not happening. Out of financial necessity came a truly stunning series of concerts, including this mesmerising performance from last July, one of the most talked-about in the capital in long time. The ease and power with which Cohen revisited 26 of his greatest songs over two-and-a-half spellbinding hours left all who saw it awe-struck.

He looks great for a septuagenarian, sharp-suited with dark fedora on greying temples, like a veteran spy in a John le Carre novel. The gravel voice caresses every number with tenderness, punctuated by a nifty line in comic patter, at one point listing the medications, philosophies and religions which failed him because "cheerfulness kept breaking through". Live DVD of the year. no contest.
Terry Staunton
1988, 1993: Helsinki||2008: Manchester|Oslo|London O2|Berlin|Helsinki|London RAH|| 2009: New York Beacon|Berlin|Venice|Barcelona|Las Vegas|San José||2010: Salzburg|Helsinki|Gent|Bratislava|Las Vegas|| 2012: Gent|Helsinki|Verona|| 2013: New York|Pula|Oslo|||
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 » Sun May 31, 2009 5:31 pm

http://www.kldenman.com/2009/05/leonard-cohen.html

Saturday, May 30, 2009

Leonard Cohen

I wasn't fortunate enough to see Leonard Cohen perform live on his recent tour, but I was able to console myself by buying a DVD copy of his London performance. I watched it through once and since then, have listened to this marvelous music so often my family has fled. I don't think I've re-listened to music so often since I was a teen with something like Carole King's album, Tapestry, playing on my tinny old turn table, so I began wondering - just what is it about this music that's captured me?

It's the lyrics. It's a rare thing to find such poetry in music and much as I enjoy Cohen's beautiful melodies, I wouldn't feel the need to hear numerous repetitions were the music not mirrored and woven through with such wise and shocking insight, such depth of feeling and stunningly gorgeous metaphor. The phrases Cohen turns often delight, and if they're not doing that, they're challenging intellect or prompting a stare down with morality and spirit.

Many years ago (many) when I was in Grade 5, our teacher brought a Cohen recording into the classroom, played Suzanne, and asked us what we thought it meant. I didn't know but I remember being entranced, drawn into the mystery of that song and wanting even then to hear it again and again so that I might understand. Like the Suzanne of his song, I think Cohen is still showing us "where to look amid the garbage and the flowers". And I expect I'll keep listening.
Posted by K L Denman at 2:43 PM
jarkko
Site Admin

Post by jarkko » Sun May 31, 2009 6:44 pm

The London DVD & CDs have reached the Gold record level in Holland: http://muziek.nieuws.nl/557990/leonard_ ... nkzij_lisa
(Source: Dany Hilven)
1988, 1993: Helsinki||2008: Manchester|Oslo|London O2|Berlin|Helsinki|London RAH|| 2009: New York Beacon|Berlin|Venice|Barcelona|Las Vegas|San José||2010: Salzburg|Helsinki|Gent|Bratislava|Las Vegas|| 2012: Gent|Helsinki|Verona|| 2013: New York|Pula|Oslo|||
Marcus4LC

Post by Marcus4LC » Thu Jun 04, 2009 3:43 am

After being at the Boston concert at the Citi/Wang Theater on Saturday night, I decided to purchase both the DVD and the CD from Amazon. Whoever said live concerts spur the sales of recordings wasn't kidding. :D
Emeraude

Post by Emeraude » Thu Jun 04, 2009 5:40 am

Like the Suzanne of his song, I think Cohen is still showing us "where to look amid the garbage and the flowers". And I expect I'll keep listening.
Yes and I'm another one who played Carole King's Tapestry over and over. I've got to get me this DVD.

In addition to the live concerts, I think message boards are another motivator too, Marcus4LC. :)
You're in my blood like holy wine... J. Mitchell
Marcus4LC

Post by Marcus4LC » Thu Jun 04, 2009 4:51 pm

The DVD of the London concert is very similar to the live show. However, the one criticism I have of the DVD is leveled at whoever made the executive decision to film this in low definition and in the 4:3 format. It's the summer of 2008, HD is becoming the standard in 2009 (the anticipated release date of the DVD) and you go with low definition 4:3. You sir (or madam), are a true visionary. Said, of course, with dripping sarcasm...
jarkko
Site Admin

Post by jarkko » Thu Jun 04, 2009 5:01 pm

The London footage was originally filmed for the big screens on both sides of the venue, that explains the 4:3 format.
All autumn concerts were filmed in HD in 16:9 ratio, so the fortcoming "Best of" BluRay will be in this quality/format.
brightnow

Post by brightnow » Thu Jun 04, 2009 5:10 pm

jarkko wrote:The London footage was originally filmed for the big screens on both sides of the venue, that explains the 4:3 format.
All autumn concerts were filmed in HD in 16:9 ratio, so the fortcoming "Best of" BluRay will be in this quality/format.
Filmed for the big screen, HD 16:9... :D we are going to have so much fun with these for years to come!
Columbia May 11, 2009; Boston May 29, 2009; Durham November 3, 2009; Las Vegas December 10 & 11, 2010; Austin November 1, 2012; Boston December 15, 2012; Brooklyn December 20, 2012
Marcus4LC

Post by Marcus4LC » Fri Jun 05, 2009 1:23 am

jarkko wrote: All autumn concerts were filmed in HD in 16:9 ratio, so the fortcoming "Best of" BluRay will be in this quality/format.
Thanks for the information jarkko (and for everything else you do). :D

Any idea when we can expect to see the Blu-Ray compilation released?
Brownie

Post by Brownie » Fri Jun 12, 2009 4:28 pm

Watched the BBC 2 "Live in London" last night and realised that the copy that I bought from Amazon must be faulty. The sound quality was fine on the TV. Either that or the BBC fixed it. Any other opinions on that? But I am probably too late to return my copy to Amazon anyway.
wakeupmartin

Post by wakeupmartin » Sat Jun 13, 2009 12:21 pm

Brownie wrote:Watched the BBC 2 "Live in London" last night and realised that the copy that I bought from Amazon must be faulty. The sound quality was fine on the TV. Either that or the BBC fixed it. Any other opinions on that? But I am probably too late to return my copy to Amazon anyway.
That's interesting. I wonder if perhaps those people who complained earlier (in this thread) about the sound quality didn't have the same problem as you. I'm no expert but perhaps your DVD player for some reason mucks up the sound on the Live in London DVD? Something to do with the way the sound is compressed on the DVD, that your player can't handle? Have you tried it on your PC or another player?

Personally I didn't understand people's complaints about the sound. I've been watching the DVD on my computer with headphones and was delighted by its quality. Again, I'm no expert here, and I know there are some sound-connoiseurs out there with refined sensitivity to the nuances in a mix... but... I'm no fool, and have pretty good ears... and I say THE MIX IS GREAT ON THE DVD!!! Everything is crystal clear, and well balanced. If I really listen carefully I can make out each individual background vocal nicely spread out on the left. Leonard's voice is amazing. There's so much going on with the band as well... A much better mix than the Beacon Concert where I thought the female vocals were a bit quiet and wasted in the background. This, combined with your comment, leads me to conclude that those who reported sound problems have unfortunately got some kind of player/DVD discord going on.

While I'm at it... I'd like to add something to the list of complaints regarding the visuals. :) Just for fun really cos I think for 10quid the DVD is a wonderful thing... This is a guitarist's complaint... I don't think the camaramen/women play guitar, because for close-ups their preference is to zoom in to the Javier Mas's right hand as he plays. Why?!?!?! The left hand is far more interesting, to a guitarist anyway. Fortunately there are enough shots with both hands in view. Anyway, like I said, just a lighthearted complaint! :)

Martin
hydriot

Post by hydriot » Tue Jun 16, 2009 4:58 pm

wakeupmartin wrote:This is a guitarist's complaint... I don't think the camaramen/women play guitar, because for close-ups their preference is to zoom in to the Javier Mas's right hand as he plays. Why?!?!?! The left hand is far more interesting, to a guitarist anyway.
It has nothing to do with which hand is more interesting and everything to do with where the sound is perceived to be coming from ... so, in the case of a stringed instrument from the hole. (With a wind instrument, the camera will tend to zoom slowly into the bell, with a flute the lips, etc).
“If you do have love it's a kind of wound, and if you don't have it it's worse.” - Leonard, July 1988
tomsakic

Post by tomsakic » Wed Jun 17, 2009 11:35 am

"Live in London" is back at #17 in Poland's Top 20.
jeremek

Post by jeremek » Wed Jun 17, 2009 9:03 pm

MUSIC REVIEWS Poland Assessment and Description DVD LIVE IN LONDON (scores from 0 to 5)

Leonard Cohen – Live In London – concert / folk rock / b.o. / USA 2009 / 154 min. Dir. Romain Guelat. Ex. Leonard Cohen, Roscoe Beck, Rafael Bernardo Gayol, Neil Larsen.
Distr. SONY MUSIC

Video: 5 Image: 3,5 Sound: 4 Appendices.: 0,5

The picture and SOUND
The first impression when it comes to image (television format 1.33:1), it is not too positive. You can see blurry textures, not very good contrast and low color saturation. Fortunately, after a while, and the improvement of the material until the end is as well.

Site audio very good. Choices and LPCM Stereo Dolby Digital 5.1. At first the plan strikes a voice singer, heard a bit louder than musical instruments. The Dolby Digital 5.1, all speakers are actively working, the rear is clearly audible, and the subwoofer pomrukiwaniem delicate subtly supports a whole.

About ADDITIVES
Very few, only the lyrics and the leaflet.

DVD Specifications
Image Format: Color, 1.33:1 (4:3). Sound: Dolby Digital 5.1, LPCM Stereo. Soundtracks: English. Subtitles: none. Disc Type: Single-double-layer. Extras: Direct access to 18 songs, lyrics (25), leaflet

I greet all
jeremek

ps.Data from the "filmopolis"
1985/2008/2010/2013/Always
palefire

Post by palefire » Tue Jun 23, 2009 1:06 am

wakeupmartin wrote:
Brownie wrote:Watched the BBC 2 "Live in London" last night and realised that the copy that I bought from Amazon must be faulty. The sound quality was fine on the TV. Either that or the BBC fixed it. Any other opinions on that? But I am probably too late to return my copy to Amazon anyway.
That's interesting. I wonder if perhaps those people who complained earlier (in this thread) about the sound quality didn't have the same problem as you. I'm no expert but perhaps your DVD player for some reason mucks up the sound on the Live in London DVD? Something to do with the way the sound is compressed on the DVD, that your player can't handle? Have you tried it on your PC or another player?

Personally I didn't understand people's complaints about the sound. I've been watching the DVD on my computer with headphones and was delighted by its quality. Again, I'm no expert here, and I know there are some sound-connoiseurs out there with refined sensitivity to the nuances in a mix... but... I'm no fool, and have pretty good ears... and I say THE MIX IS GREAT ON THE DVD!!! Everything is crystal clear, and well balanced. If I really listen carefully I can make out each individual background vocal nicely spread out on the left. Leonard's voice is amazing. There's so much going on with the band as well... A much better mix than the Beacon Concert where I thought the female vocals were a bit quiet and wasted in the background. This, combined with your comment, leads me to conclude that those who reported sound problems have unfortunately got some kind of player/DVD discord going on.
I 'complained' about the sound earlier in the thread. It's a personal taste thing in my case. I really liked the mix in Cardiff, where, to my ears, it sounded like Bob Metzger & Neil Larsson were a little less prominent in the mix and Javier Maas was more discernible. The vocals (Len, Sharon, the Webbs) were dialled back just a little.

Perhaps a good illustration of this would be to look at the track "The future" (on the DVD, on BBC4 or listen to the CD). Looking at the video feed it is clear that Maas is very busy in this song. His contribution is very much buried in the mix. My recollection of the Cardiff gig is that his playing added a very welcome dimension to the song, which does not come out in the recording.

Might be a problem with my ears. I'd be interested to hear other people's thoughts.

Return to “News”