The Monkey and a plywood violin

October 17 - November 13, 2009. Concert reports, set lists, photos, media coverage, multimedia links, recollections...
lizzytysh

Re: The Monkey and a plywood violin

Post by lizzytysh »

We've already come dangerously close to X-Rated in this thread, once before :shock: .

~ Lizzy :lol:
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
Bill's Bar

Post by Bill's Bar »

[quote][/quote]French music on the radio made me feel [again] like I was in one of those romantic French films.

Lizzy,
Thanks for that.
The post sounds like a French film in itself!! :D :D
I think you running down the streets would be a great opening shot. :D :D And even though you were a rose peddlar., you weren't seeing the city through rose tinted glasses.
I'm a bit of a sucker for French history and culture.
I was surprised when Googling Quebec City, how interesting and beautiful it seemed. Somehow the name doesn't quite catch what the city seems to be like.
I have a feeling that ice sculpture festival will be over in May, but it looks like there's no shortage of things to do and see. Leonard is playing in Pavillon de la jeunesse, which looks like a large stadium.

Tony aka Bill's Bar. :D
Bill's Bar

Post by Bill's Bar »

OK Mary

He's a very cute monkey. :D
2008: Dublin 14/6, Lucca 27/7,Munich 6/10, Bournemouth 11/11, London 13/11 ,Paris 24/11.
2009: Quebec 21/5, Ottawa 26/5, Dublin 19/7,Venice 3/8, Barcelona 21/9, Nashville 5/11, St.Louis 7/11, San Jose 13/11
2010: Sligo 31/7,1/8.
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Hi Tony ~

If you pronounce it the way I was told... kay BECK' CITY [and saying the whole thing]... it seems to be a better match between the way it sounds and the way it is... KWuhBeck doesn't seem to do it justice, however. I'll check out that venue.

If you're already a sucker for that kind of thing, learn as much as you can before you go, and you may not make it back ;-) . I never had a problem understanding why the Quebecois were interested in seceding. So far as I could tell, it was the closest you could get to Paris without having to cross the water.

Our driver [the owner of the rose business] drove, he dropped us ~ his girlfriend and me ~ off at one point, gave us directions on where to go... and then picked us up at the second point, where he awaited us... before repeating it all over again. She and I each had our own set of places to go into. It seemed he drove 100 mph... with all the factors involved, these were high adrenaline nights.

Yes, I think you'll likely miss the ice festival... but everything else is just so marvelous. The narrow, winding streets and all... Mmmm. I can't imagine Quebec City not being wonderful at any time of year... the winter might make it difficult to navigate, but it would still be beautiful. I'd love to see it after an ice storm.

You're in for such a treat.

~ Lizzy
~ Oscar Wilde
Bill's Bar

Post by Bill's Bar »

Thanks for the handy pronunciation hint Lizzy.
If the Quebecois are like the Parisiens, they like to hear you attempt to speak the language. :D
2008: Dublin 14/6, Lucca 27/7,Munich 6/10, Bournemouth 11/11, London 13/11 ,Paris 24/11.
2009: Quebec 21/5, Ottawa 26/5, Dublin 19/7,Venice 3/8, Barcelona 21/9, Nashville 5/11, St.Louis 7/11, San Jose 13/11
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Yes... they sure seemed to be like the Parisiens in that... and, honestly, when you think about it... who isn't? Why would anyone not at least TRY. Germany was sooooo frustrating in that way... so difficult. I don't think I ever got a word out without completely mangling it.

You're welcome... now for someone to come along and say I told you wrong :lol: .

~ Lizzy
~ Oscar Wilde
Bill's Bar

Post by Bill's Bar »

Nah, what you said sounds pretty right to me. :D And I agree with you about German. :D I like to try speaking French even though it can come out excruciatingly bad.
And if I can trespass on your time just once more, :D as I said I'll be in Montreal for a few days, are there any Cohen sites I should check out in the city. My daughter has a friend there, who shops in the same supermarket as Len (allegedly)!! :D
hydriot

Post by hydriot »

Woo hoo! Just noticed at the bottom of the page on a different thread ... the Monkey is on-line right now. Came straight over to this thread, lovely little guy, to hear your plywood violin once more...
“If you do have love it's a kind of wound, and if you don't have it it's worse.” - Leonard, July 1988
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Oh, WoW! Monkey's online right now 8) !?!

Well... let me put in a request right this very minute, then... when all of you go to Quebec City, please be sure that you take Fred to some of the finest places to dine. Okay, that's it. Looking >>>>>>> Forward >>>>>>> to our next Monkey Connection... are you out there, Fred :D ?

~ Lizzy
~ Oscar Wilde
hydriot

Post by hydriot »

The Monkey's off-line now *sniff* :( . We didn't scare him away did we, Lizzy?
“If you do have love it's a kind of wound, and if you don't have it it's worse.” - Leonard, July 1988
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

We mighta', Hydriot. I think he may pride himself of super-sleuthing his way in here and photos magically appearing! Well, next time, we'll stay on the down low about it ;-) .

~ Lizzy
~ Oscar Wilde
ladydi

Post by ladydi »

I've been online when "our monkey" is online and there is this adrenaline rush to maybe, perhaps, possibly find out just who is our Fred's buddy. But, of course, it's impossible. They almost slipped up in Victoria. Or perhaps they did it intentionally. The last photo of Fred with his "new...FEMALE" friend was taken with the tour bus in the background, reflecting the foreground. But...no go. Reverse images totally blocked.

Prepare to be bombarded with bananas in Detroit! Well, maybe not.... perhaps a few will be placed discreetly upon the stage...not exactly bombarded. But no holds barred when we come to Red Rocks! :D Fling those 'naners! We will want to see Fred's friends! However, if Fred is indeed going to Europe, then just let a couple of us know at Red Rocks (especially his "Mom" Mary) and we will keep our lips zipped so all our friends on the other side of the Atlantic can enjoy Fred's antics too! :D

Night, night Fred! Keep safe in Edmonton...that is a cold place but fortunately they have several Sisters of Mercy! Some will keep you warm, but others may have more on their agenda. Be aware of some of those Canadian women...Leonard can fill you in on the details.

Hugs,
(displaced Canadian woman) Aunt Diana

xoxoxo
Last edited by ladydi on Sat Apr 25, 2009 4:33 am, edited 2 times in total.
Davido

Post by Davido »

Hey Fred! Ask Leonard to sing the Chiquita Banana Song to you:
Perhaps he'll add it to the setlist!
I'm Chiquita Banana, and I've come to say
Bananas have to ripen in a certain way.
And when they are flecked with brown
and have a golden hue,
Bananas taste the best, and are the best for you.
You can put them in a salad. You can put
them in a pie - aye.
Anyway you want to eat them it's
impossible to beat them.
But bananas like the climate of the very,
very tropical equator.
So you should never put bananas in the refrigerator.

I have a recording of (a much younger) Leonard singing this. :)
"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies"~ Groucho Marx
imaginary friend

Post by imaginary friend »

Hi Lizzy!

I loved your story describing your Secret Life in Quebec City! And I loved that you were a romantic rose-seller speaking learned lines of French, as if you were in a film.

XO
ladydi

Post by ladydi »

OMG Davido....that would be such a fun recording to hear! He must have done it in the late 60's or 70's! I remember that song from the faaaar past as a commercial on tv when I was a kid! How funny. I am sure Fred would appreciate it!

Wish I could remember those monkey smilies...they would come in perfect right about here!

All the best,
Diana

Return to “The Fall 2009 Tour in USA”