Hello, I'm new to this forum... (introducing yourselves)

Ask and answer questions about Leonard Cohen, his work, this forum and the websites!
Paula

Re: Hello, I'm new to this forum... (introducing yourselves)

Post by Paula »

Box That was a really good read You only discover Leonard in December talk about at the right time.
Dublin 14th June, Manchester 20th June, O2 17th July, Matlock Bandstand Aug 28, O2 14th November, Royal Albert Hall 17th and 18th November 2008, MBW 11th July 2009, Liverpool Echo 14th July 2009
Box_of_Rain

Post by Box_of_Rain »

Thanks everyone!
News Gal

Post by News Gal »

Siyo and Hi everyone...

My name is Courtney Miller-Rao, and I'm a 26-year-old newcomer to the forum. I'm a news anchor and reporter by trade, but I have many other interests including art, nature, and food. I came to this site shortly after a former professor and very close friend of mine introduced me to the works of Leonard Cohen late last year, and I thought this would be a nice place online.

Sgi/Thank you,
Courtney
ᎤᏩᎬᏗᏒ ᏥᎪᏩᏘᎲ, ᎯᎩᎾᎵᎢ, ᎠᏓᎯᏍᏗ ᎨᏐ. Uwagvdisv tsigowatihv, higinali'i , adahisdi geso (I've seen the future brother, it is murder.)
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Well, you are so right, Courtney :D . You've landed in the right place 8) ! From here, you can go to the Files themselves and to Marie Mazur's site "Speaking Cohen" to learn oh so very much about Leonard and matters related to him... in both words and photos. As someone just referenced yesterday[?], you've hit the mother lode. I don't know what country you're in, but I just made a 'call' in the News section for other news programs [as is happening in Canada] to run a contest for people to win two tickets to one of Leonard's concerts. They're doing it for the Radio City Music Hall one in NYC. The other-country issue might be a problem, yet if you're elsewhere, Leonard may come near, regardless. Still, it's the U.S. that needs the help the most! "Leonard Cohen is Coming to the U.S.A." ~ the sooner that people 'get' him, the better off we'll all be.

Welcome to the Forum, Courtney. It'll be wonderful if you bring your unique perspectives/approaches to our discussions.

~ Lizzy
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
ladydi

Post by ladydi »

Last edited by ladydi on Sat Aug 04, 2012 1:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
News Gal

Post by News Gal »

lizzytysh wrote:Well, you are so right, Courtney :D . You've landed in the right place 8) ! From here, you can go to the Files themselves and to Marie Mazur's site "Speaking Cohen" to learn oh so very much about Leonard and matters related to him... in both words and photos. As someone just referenced yesterday[?], you've hit the mother lode. I don't know what country you're in, but I just made a 'call' in the News section for other news programs [as is happening in Canada] to run a contest for people to win two tickets to one of Leonard's concerts. They're doing it for the Radio City Music Hall one in NYC. The other-country issue might be a problem, yet if you're elsewhere, Leonard may come near, regardless. Still, it's the U.S. that needs the help the most! "Leonard Cohen is Coming to the U.S.A." ~ the sooner that people 'get' him, the better off we'll all be.

Welcome to the Forum, Courtney. It'll be wonderful if you bring your unique perspectives/approaches to our discussions.

~ Lizzy

Thanks so much for the welcome! I stumbled on this from the back cover of Book of Longing while I was in the newsroom, looked at the site and loved it! I'm in the USA, in Connecticut, and originally come from Tennessee. I've actually given some thought to maybe getting a hold of Mr. Cohen for our radio station, WATR-AM in Waterbury. He fits the format perfectly.

I'm Native American (Eastern Band Cherokee) and find the fact that he was inspired by our cultures a wonderful thing. That's rare, especially for the time when he wrote Beautiful Losers. Because of that, I'm working on writing a cover of Closing Time as a Round Dance song. The style is Canadian, so it fits :) When I get it done, maybe I can post it?

Sgi (thank you)
Courtney
ᎤᏩᎬᏗᏒ ᏥᎪᏩᏘᎲ, ᎯᎩᎾᎵᎢ, ᎠᏓᎯᏍᏗ ᎨᏐ. Uwagvdisv tsigowatihv, higinali'i , adahisdi geso (I've seen the future brother, it is murder.)
hydriot

Post by hydriot »

Good to have you on board, News Gal. How long ago did you read the 'sunstroke' Beautiful Losers?
“If you do have love it's a kind of wound, and if you don't have it it's worse.” - Leonard, July 1988
Box_of_Rain

Post by Box_of_Rain »

Thanks Diana! I would like to expand it to include my feelings on meeting all of you. I wanted to mention the town you are from, but I couldn't remember the name. Something like clear water???

The last few paragraphs I thought were ok. I'll keep working on it. I didn't have much time and I wanted to put something out quickly. I deleted quite a few paragraphs, because I felt no one would really care to hear about it on myspace...it was all about the ticket ordeal and how I got the fifth row. I know I'd be tied up and dragged threw the mud about it, as I should be!

The whole thing was amazing. So great.

I am so glad you will be at Red Rocks!!! Everyone should come to Red Rocks, since it's the last show of the tour!

Hi, Courtney! Welcome! Are you going to any of the up coming shows?

Cheers!
Denise
News Gal

Post by News Gal »

Hi, Courtney! Welcome! Are you going to any of the up coming shows?

Cheers!
Denise
Hi there! Sadly, no, as I ended up having to fill in for my news director in the AM after the New York show. I have to do that tomorrow morning too, it's noon here in Connecticut now. Busy!

Good to meet you! Oniyv (see you later)
Courtney
News Gal

Post by News Gal »

hydriot wrote:Good to have you on board, News Gal. How long ago did you read the 'sunstroke' Beautiful Losers?

Thanks! I finished it about a week ago,actually.

Thanks for all the welcomes everyone :)
Courtney
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Thanks, too, Courtney, for your Indian words. Perhaps, you would consider doing a phonetic spelling of their pronunciation... not really the dictionary type, but just common words of rhyme or actuality.

How about approaching your station head about a two-free-tickets contest? Possible?

~ Lizzy
~ Oscar Wilde
News Gal

Post by News Gal »

lizzytysh wrote:Thanks, too, Courtney, for your Indian words. Perhaps, you would consider doing a phonetic spelling of their pronunciation... not really the dictionary type, but just common words of rhyme or actuality.

How about approaching your station head about a two-free-tickets contest? Possible?

~ Lizzy

No problem :) I speak the Kituwah dialect of Cherokee, found in North Carolina. If you want to say Hi, it's pronounced "shee-YOH." Our word for thanks, sgi, is pronounced "shkee" and Oniyv, meaning "Later" is "oh-nee-YUH." If you want to learn more of the language, a person on YouTube named Tsasuyeda has a great set of lessons in Kituwah dialect:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1EcqRlCYANQ

I've studied six languages other than English, and my own is the hardest I've studied so far. It's tonal, like Chinese, which made learning Chinese easier!
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

All hats I'm able to grab to you for learning even ONE language other than English, Courtney. I'm afraid that's an "If only... " for me... perhaps, when I retire, I'll be able to devote some time to one, though. An amazing accomplishment, six of them! Ironic that your own is the hardest :lol: . To think it helped you in learning Chinese, the silver lining!

Thank you for the pronunciations, as well as the link.

Great to hear that you'll follow up on the contest idea. [IF that's what you meant by "No problem." :lol: ] Who knows? If you do, it might actually happen! Though, I guess someone needs to be at the computer tomorrow morning :shock: .

~ Lizzy
~ Oscar Wilde
News Gal

Post by News Gal »

Well, Lizzy, to do the contest LC'd have to be coming to Waterbury or the Greater Waterbury area. Worth a thought though...you gave me a great idea! Yeah, I have to be up VERY early tomorrow, going to the radio station to fill in for my news director at 4am.
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Ahhh. Well, Kudos to Canada, then... for sending the winners out of their vicinity... to see one of their National Heroes, granted... but with greater exposure, Leonard could become one of ours, as well... by proxy... born in Montreal and living in LA [some of the time].

Oh, my... early day for you tomorrow :) . The price of responsibility :lol: .

~ Lizzy
~ Oscar Wilde

Return to “Comments & Questions”