Krakow 6-8th August 2010

The Krakow Event - before and after
SK

Krakow 6-8th August 2010

Post by SK »

Ladies and Gentlemen, Cohenites of the world, friends,

Continuing the tradition of international meetings for Leonard Cohen fans I have the pleasure to invite you to the next Leonard Cohen Event which will take place in Krakow, Poland on 6-8th August 2010.

Krakow, in contrast to the previous cities, is not a place which had the privilege of becoming a hallmark in Leonard Cohen’s life or career. Though it is porobable Cohen has never visited Krakow, still you can find here places which are not unlike those connected with our Artist. Krakow is a city of culture, a city that never sleeps, a city of artists, students (and … tourists), the district of Kazimierz is an important centre of Jewish culture. Cohen simply fits here.

We assume that the programme for the Krakow Event will be largely based on programmes of the previous events. We are planning concerts, an open-mic session, sightseeing, small gifts, but, first of all, we would like this event to be an opportunity to meet like-minded old friends and acquaintances from all over the world, like-minded also with Leonard Cohen.

All the information on the event will be available on The Leonard Cohen Files and on the event website: http://leonardcohenevent.info/

If you have any suggestions, questions, or if you simply want to tell the world you are going to Krakow - you’re welcome to use the forum.
If you would like to help the organizers, or if you have an interesting idea how to make the Krakow event even better, we’re waiting for your suggestions.

You can contact the organizing committee at krakow2010@leonardcohenevent.info

On behalf of the organizing comitee,

Sebastian Korta

P.S. Bring your guitars!
hydriot

Re: Krakow 6-8th August 2010

Post by hydriot »

I shall certainly do my best to come, and strongly recommend Krakow to all who have yet to visit Poland. It is a centre of artistic and academic activity with a fine university, and beautiful too, especially around the main square.

Here's a tale my last Polish host told me. During the Communist era, the authorities were concerned at the failure of Krakow citizens to shake off their bourgeouis tendencies. So, in an attempt at social engineering, they built a giant steel mill (Nowa Huta) employing hundreds of thousands just outside Krakow, expecting the workers from there to promote proletarian ideals in Krakow itself. What they actually got were steelworkers who went to the opera.
Last edited by hydriot on Wed Feb 04, 2009 12:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“If you do have love it's a kind of wound, and if you don't have it it's worse.” - Leonard, July 1988
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

HaHa :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Geez... what a wonderful anecdote, Hydriot!

I'm praying Cracow will be fully do-able by 2010. I've been there once and loved it; not nearly enough time to take it all in, though. I didn't have time to get to Kazimierz, either. That will be a given for me.

I'm so glad to see a Krakow section! It's great to know you're part of the core deal, Sebastian 8) . Is your avatar from the photo of Leonard sitting on some steps outside by a tree? It's one of my all-time favourite photos of him.

~ Lizzy
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
Yorkshire Lad

Post by Yorkshire Lad »

Having experienced three wonderful events to date ( new york, berlin, edmonton ) only Leonard accepting an invitation to dine at our house on August 7th 2010 could keep my wife and I away and at the moment that seems unlikely as he will probably still be on tour
manchester, london,manchester , a mountain in Wales ,hills in Haiger
Be content with a mistake or two. Perfection holds no compromise. It's a prison for perfect people .Where the flag of insanity flies
Pope

Post by Pope »

I take it organisers will be arranging hotels. I can get myself there. When will further details be posted. Or do I just sort the whole thing myself and be there on the date. Sorry for my ignorance, or if I appear abrupt but I just don't know.
Bestr wishes
Glyn
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Hi Glyn ~

I'll answer just your basic question until someone comes along with more. The organizing committee secures an event discount at hotel/s, but you're able to stay in others, if that's your preference. They generally let us know of other ones that are in the vicinity. Sometimes peope just have their individual choices due to location or type or whatever.

Typically, the hotels that are secured are close/fairly close to the venues where the Event activities will take place. All that type information will be posted as time goes on, but nowhere near this current date; and you'll need to make your individual arrangements and payments with the hotel/s in question. What the committee does is secure a reduced rate and then you say something like your being with the Leonard Cohen group.

~ Lizzy
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
Suemerlyn

Post by Suemerlyn »

Hi Lizzy or SK,

Would love to come, have never been to Poland. But I have a question - how is this event different from the gathering on Hydra ( to which i am going)? Or is it that events in other countries take place in years when Hydra is not happening??

Would be appreciative if someone could find a mo to let me know!
margaret

Post by margaret »

Hydra this summer is an unofficial event with no major organised plans, just an opportunity for a social gathering of like minded friends getting together again (or for the first time :) ) Some of us try to go to Hydra as often as we can regardless of whether an event is taking place.

Krakow is an major International Event that has a group of people organising sightseeing, concerts, open mic sessions, and whatever else they decide. There is usually a fee to attend these "Events" that are attended by at least 200 people who arrange to stay close to one another in specially checked-out hotels within the same area.

If you look on http://www.leonardcohensfiles.com and go down the page to Events you can open the links to previous Events to see what happened in Hydra 2002, New York 2004, Berlin 2006, and Edmonton 2008

See you in Hydra in June :D
Margaret
Mirek

Post by Mirek »

Hello Friends,

I have just been chosen by the team of organizers to be an official spokesman of the 2010 Krakow Event, so I guess I should answer the questions asked so far.

First - the Organizing Committee is working really hard, looking for the best places, finding artists etc. We will try to provide you with some preliminary information in the near future.

Lizzy & hydriot: thanks for your support!

Glyn: As Lizzy said - of course, we will arrange hotels, because we want the B'Losers to stay near the important places, where the meetings will take place. We cannot give any information right now, as we still are not sure about the venue place.

Suemerlyn - your question was just answered by Margaret. Oh yes, the 2010 Event will be different from the Hydra gathering. What's more - it will probably be different from other events (Edmonton, Berlin etc.).
But I'm pretty sure one thing will be similar - the atmosphere.

I hope we'll be able to see you all in Krakow. If you have any suggestions or comments - let us know. We're open to new ideas.

On behalf of The Team

Mirek Dworniczak - 2010 Krakow Event Spokesman
Henning

Post by Henning »

Hi Mirek

I can't wait for the Cracow event - all people I am talking to are looking forward to it. We will have a great time. Our Cohenite life is so rich of encounters and emotions. Cracow is exactly the place we need next. Thanks for all your work and passion.

H.
IT'S DARKER NOW
1979: Frankfurt | 1980: Frankfurt | 1985: Wiesbaden - Munich | 1988: Munich - Nuremberg | 1993: Frankfurt
2008: Dublin - Manchester - Amsterdam - Loerrach - Berlin - Frankfurt - Oberhausen - London
2009: Cologne - Barcelona | 2010: Wiesbaden - Dortmund
2012: Ghent - Moenchengladbach - Verona - Lisbon | 2013: Oberhausen - Mannheim - Pula
Andrew (Darby)

Post by Andrew (Darby) »

Congratulations Mirek - I'm sure you will excel in your new role. 8)

I am not only very keen to be at this event, but also offer whatever support I can from this distance - it was great to meet with some of the first committee members last August. :D

Cheers
Andrew :)
'I cannot give the reasons
I only sing the tunes
The sadness of the seasons
The madness of the moons'
~ Mervyn Peake ~
schmedler

Post by schmedler »

i am so excited to see the dates of this event have finally been posted!

hopefully whoever we missed seeing in edmonton will be there in krakow...look forward to seeing everyone again =)

laura
Mirek

Post by Mirek »

Dear Friends

We're waiting for the spring, the days are still quite short (as far as northern hemisphere is concerned, of course).
If you have some free time, you may spend it reading a few words about Krakow - the place of the 2010 Event.
The article has been written by Grzegorz Styla, pictures by Michal Korta.
You can find it here.

Enjoy! Comment!

In a few days I will start publishing some practical pieces of information about Poland and Krakow - hope this would be suitable for the future travellers.

Yours truly,

Mirek
liverpoolken

Post by liverpoolken »

Mirek

I've been to Krakow a couple of times the last time was 3 or 4 years ago in the middle of a very bad winter.
Imagine my surprise when I arrived to find an international sea shanty festival in full swing.
Land locked Krakow must be 400 or 500 hundred miles away from the sea and with no maritime history at all.
However being from a port city myself and familiar with sea shanties I really enjoyed whole affair.
Looking forward to seeing Krakow again and this time in the full blaze of summer.

Ta Ken
Solitudine non é essere soli, é amare gli altri inutilmente - Mario Stefani
Marisha

Post by Marisha »

hello Liverpool Ken, you say you are from a port city. which city is it?

Just curious

Marisha

Return to “The Leonard Cohen Event in Krakow 2010”