This is for your own works!!!
mickey_one

Re: Dream upon the Mourning light

Post by mickey_one »

Dream upon the Mourning light

I awakened to the sound of a soul beyond the fringe

Beyond the Fringe- I used to love that radio programme

There was the scream of the report, the breaking of the hinge

if only the door had a second hinge. bloody unusual to have just one. was it at the top or the middle?

That the door of safty was intended, to keep

"safty"? you're such a "dafty" a Northern expression for being a soft ninny.

The solid silver wailing, as the sky began to weep

what exactly was wailing? was it the candlesticks again, or the solid silver fruit bowl?

In a memory locked tightly, behind the shadows of regreat

"regreats, I've had a few, but then again too few to mention"

Stands a spirit of consumption, asking only for respect

I am a bottle of whisky, respect me!

The tapping of the nails, as they sink much deeper in

was that to put the hinge back?

The reading of the sentence, read by murders twin

what was "murders twin's" name? manslaughter, Jean O'Side, Indecent Expiosure?

A woman in the distance, falls down in mortal sin

serves her right

The whisper of the shadow, crawls upon her skin

yikes, that is sooo spooky

The wind a dragon, on its mission comes rushing in

you mean "wind-up dragon, I presume?

I've lost my will to live
aaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

blame Virginia for this, it's all her fault

mikeeeeeeeeeeeeee

rest of the original poem deleted to protect the innocent
damellon

Post by damellon »

Geoffrey wrote:mickey_one wrote:
>and you answered!

i monitor your frustration, michael, and wholeheartedly agree with your sentiments concerning the literary standards in here - the rectum of jarkko's forum. do not be like the homo who plants seed where no fruit will grow, for who but a foolish man spitting at the moon can teach pigs at the trough about elbows on the table.
Geoffrey
I wonder why you come here if you think it's full of shit.
Any shortfall in literary standards pales in comparison with the shortfall in decency you exhibit each time you vent your arrogant intolerance towards anyone whose sexual mores differ from yours.
You only have to let the soft animal of your body
love what it loves.

from Wild Geese
Mary Oliver
mickey_one

Post by mickey_one »

come on, Dame Llon, Geoffrey on sex is like me on poetry. just a few times a year and not to be taken too seriously.
damellon

Post by damellon »

mickey_one wrote:come on, Dame Llon, Geoffrey on sex is like me on poetry. just a few times a year and not to be taken too seriously.

Mickey
Thank you for your opening exhortation but, really, I need no encouragement. :)
Is Geoffrey not to be taken seriously? Is he merely posing as a bigot?
Whatever his motivation, to read such crap even once a year is too often.
You only have to let the soft animal of your body
love what it loves.

from Wild Geese
Mary Oliver
mickey_one

Post by mickey_one »

damellon wrote: Is Geoffrey not to be taken seriously? Is he merely posing as a bigot?
Whatever his motivation, to read such crap even once a year is too often.
Geoffrey is a wind-up. I have known him for 10 years or more but barely know him at all. I consider him a distant friend twice removed. He is a lay preacher or otherwise heavily involved in his church in Norway. He can be an excellent writer. He is very popular, especially with American women, despite his being half English. I think he is probably a genuinely strict moralist in sexual matters. All of my guesses are subject to him being an even more successful wind-up than I already give him credit for being. He may have recently suffered a bereavement. His entertainment value exceeds his nuisance value by a long way in my op. I sent him postcards from at least 2 of the LC Events as he won't fly and he analysed the writing, the style, and probably the fingerprints and DNA as well. He is far from infallible as he thought I had sent him a postcard last year from some place I had never visited. He is scared of dentists.
Cate

Post by Cate »

Hey Geoffrey, since you do requests why don't you post a poem or a story for us?

Cate
Geoffrey

Post by Geoffrey »

Cate wrote:
>Hey Geoffrey, since you do requests why don't you post a poem or a story for us?

Well, there is a story going around that shortly after Leonard celebrated his 26th birthday (September 1960) he bought a cottage on Hydra. By autumn all the property transference paperwork and other appertaining legalities were complete, and Leonard threw a Hallowe'en party in order to become acquainted with, and accepted by, the local community. Nobody came except one neighbour, a woman from Kenya - and neither of them had any condoms. Well, little Barack was born in August of the following year and put up for adoption. Anybody know what happened to him?
anunitu

Post by anunitu »

If you all are going to start doing the dozens, then take it outside please.

Anunitu
Cate

Post by Cate »

Well, that would be quite a story :)

(edited as I was being a bit greedy - thank's for the story)
Last edited by Cate on Tue Jan 20, 2009 3:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cate

Post by Cate »

anunitu wrote:If you all are going to start doing the dozens, then take it outside please.

Anunitu
What does that mean?
dozens - Is that something dirty?
Virginia

Post by Virginia »

Michael,
I don't know what your definition of a troll is but I doubt I fit it.
I use my own name, as I assume do you - that doesn't make me a troll.
I know nothing about you beyond the opinions you express here, nor do you know anything of me, beyond mine.

" if you applaud writers who can't be bothered to check their work and then choose not to make corrections, it hardly surprises me from what I have seen of your posts so far, Virginia. "
I neither applauded nor derided anything about "Dream upon the Mourning light" - I responded to what I saw as an overbearing response to someone's work.
I know you're surrounded by a flotilla of fawns - good for you - but is it necessary to be so harsh on those who are not part of that harem? (I know it's a mixed metaphor, thank you, but I enjoyed it.)

I actually find a deal of what you write quite hurtful, as with - "hardly surprises me from what I have seen of your posts so far, Virginia. "
Whatever I've written, I've written out of my experience - you may find it trite - I didn't - still don't, unfortunately.
But that's ok, that's your opinion.
I just wonder why everything has to be turned to a cheap laugh when you choose to make it so?
As you said yourself, you know little or nothing about poetry. Yet you act as though you are the arbiter of all taste.
Why do you do that - and don't hide in snide, superficial cleverness.
Just give me an honest answer.
Virginia
anunitu

Post by anunitu »

it is a term used by African Americans to describe trading insults IE. YO Mamma

I know this term, because I grew up in a VERY bad part of Oakland,Ca, in the projects.

Anunitu
Manna

Post by Manna »

In my defense, when I first met Michael, I didn't like him very much. But I have learned how best for me to deal with him, and now we are friends. He loves a good argument, especially one that involves evident wit. His approach is not instinctively kind to new-comers, and is especially wary (even suspicious) of those who may be trolls, and he likes to play with wind-up toys. I find it helps to tell him to piss-off once in a while. He doesn't mind and will readily forgive the crudeness by anointing you with a nick-name. He laughs at himself almost as well as he laughs at others.

He is a cat with 2 pet dogs.
anunitu

Post by anunitu »

Would this be Michael Wolkind, UK, that is a Lawyer in the UK?

I have no reason to dislike him, but I have not always been a gentle person, but I have connected with my shadow, and contained it. A nickname huh, you might use my street name from way back, that would be "The Dragon"

Anunitu
mickey_one

Post by mickey_one »

Virginia wrote:Michael,
I don't know what your definition of a troll is but I doubt I fit it.
I use my own name, as I assume do you - that doesn't make me a troll.
I know nothing about you beyond the opinions you express here, nor do you know anything of me, beyond mine.

just the personal harshness and rudeness of some of your posts, you're right that that doesn't make you a troll

" if you applaud writers who can't be bothered to check their work and then choose not to make corrections, it hardly surprises me from what I have seen of your posts so far, Virginia. "
I neither applauded nor derided anything about "Dream upon the Mourning light" - I responded to what I saw as an overbearing response to someone's work.
I know you're surrounded by a flotilla of fawns - good for you - but is it necessary to be so harsh on those who are not part of that harem? (I know it's a mixed metaphor, thank you, but I enjoyed it.)
"flotilla of fawns" - that's the rudeness I mean. you write off others and their choices

I actually find a deal of what you write quite hurtful, as with - "hardly surprises me from what I have seen of your posts so far, Virginia. "
Whatever I've written, I've written out of my experience - you may find it trite - I didn't - still don't, unfortunately.
But that's ok, that's your opinion.

I only had in mind your responses to others not your own poetry. I hope I'm clear now.

I just wonder why everything has to be turned to a cheap laugh when you choose to make it so?

As you said yourself, you know little or nothing about poetry. Yet you act as though you are the arbiter of all taste.

I think I write like anyone would on a decent poetry site, pointing out blatant mistakes being only the start of crit. you may hear at as me being "the arbiter of all taste" but detach yourself from the personality and judge the advice/suggestions on the merits. on some sites you are only allowed to post one work a month. to appear here and post ten a go is discourteous. to choose not to make corrections is arrogant.

Why do you do that - and don't hide in snide, superficial cleverness.

because I love to see people improve their writing. I will often take the time to offer a crit. on poems otherwise ignored here. many posters over the years have thanked me and others for their crits. It is so satisfying when that happens. others, sadly, get all defensive or over-protective.

Just give me an honest answer.
Virginia

Return to “Writing, Music and Art by the Forum members”