LIFE mag archive - 1960 pic of Leonard & Marianne

News about Leonard Cohen and his work, press, radio & TV programs etc.
jazz4111

LIFE mag archive - 1960 pic of Leonard & Marianne

Post by jazz4111 »

A good friend from Hydra sent me this - incredible pictures taken by a LIFE Magazine photographer on Hydra in 1960 or 61. There is one of a group of young artists (I think it's at Douskos) which includes a young, handsome Leonard Cohen and beautiful Marianne Ihlen. There is another of Marianne feeding a baby Axel and a third of big Axel and a friend. You cannot download these photos - but you can view them and order copies. We think the assignment might have been an interview with George Johnston - then an acclaimed Australian author living on Hydra who was good friends with LC. I searched the LIFE magazine table of contents archive for 1960-61, but could not find a listing for a story which might include these pictures.
But the pictures themselves are stunning! As far as we can determine, no one knew of the existence of these photos until recently. Here is the link (it is a Google site):
http://images.google.com/images?ndsp=18 ... &start=0&s a=N
ENJOY!
MERRY CHRISTMAS & HAPPY NEW YEAR
Jazz
John Etherington

Re: LIFE mag archive - 1960 pic of Leonard & Marianne

Post by John Etherington »

Excellent! These pictures are a real find, and really convey the atmosphere of that now-mythical era. Thanks for the link.

All good things, John E
st theresa

Post by st theresa »

Wow what a find!!! Thanks for sharing. Even before I had heard of him.....
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Leave it to you, Jazz 8) to bring us an incredible gift like this. Just so sumptuously layered with atmosphere! OH to have been there during those days and times... and, still, I love seeing how much is still so much the same and recognizable 8) . Really fine display of life on Hydra. I laughed at the one of vacuums. It looks like the sun must've bleached out Marianne's hair after awhile. She had such a sweet face in that photo. I'll check out the one of Leonard with how much it costs. You're right... so handsome; and so genuinely interested in those around him. Gorgeous photos. Great looking people. I'll be sitting here this summer thinking about how everyone will be there walking those streets.

Thanks, Jazz 8) :D ! You really outdid yourself :) .

$79.95 framed in black. Not so bad considering the vintage and our personal interest.

~ Lizzy
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
drsing

Post by drsing »

jazz4111 wrote:A good friend from Hydra sent me this - incredible pictures taken by a LIFE Magazine photographer on Hydra in 1960 or 61.
You cannot download these photos - but you can view them and order copies.
Thanks very much for the beautiful pictures ! And there is only one person with a guitar... :!: :)
By the way, I have no problem in downloading the picture....
1985 Rotterdam
1988 Amsterdam
1993 The Hague
2008 Manchester, Brussels (2x), Rotterdam
2009 Lisboa
2010 Dortmund
2012 Ghent 2012 (2x), Amsterdam 2012 (2x)
2013 Antwerp, Oberhausen, Brussels, Rotterdam, Amsterdam
linmag

Post by linmag »

I also had no problems downloading the group picture. I wonder if Life Magazine knows what a treasure it has there. Thanks, Jazz :)
Linda

1972: Leeds, 2008: Manchester, Lyon, London O2, 2009: Wet Weybridge, 2012: Hop Farm/Wembley Arena
jazz4111

Post by jazz4111 »

Re: Downloading. yes, I belatedly discovered they can be downloaded and printed - and I did both - so Lizzie before springing for the framed pictures - you might consider printing on photo paper and framing them yourself. I think there may be another picture with LC in it - the one of "artists" by the shore" has a male seated with his back to the camera holding a book or writing tablet - it very well could be Leonard. What do you all think?
I also sent the link to Marianne via her biographer Kari - so I may be able to identify some of the others in the pictures. I will keep everyone posted. I really enjoy visiting this site and feel no one deserves to share these photos more than all you devoted fans. Thanks for your words of appreciation. AGT...
Jazz
drsing

Post by drsing »

jazz4111 wrote: I think there may be another picture with LC in it - the one of "artists" by the shore" has a male seated with his back to the camera holding a book or writing tablet - it very well could be Leonard. What do you all think?
Thanks again for the wonderful pictures. I think the one with the book is not LC, but the same person as the one in the middle of the group picture. His hair is more blond. What would you say?
Attachments
hydra2.JPG
hydra2.JPG (32.03 KiB) Viewed 5550 times
hydra 1961.JPG
hydra 1961.JPG (29.97 KiB) Viewed 5551 times
1985 Rotterdam
1988 Amsterdam
1993 The Hague
2008 Manchester, Brussels (2x), Rotterdam
2009 Lisboa
2010 Dortmund
2012 Ghent 2012 (2x), Amsterdam 2012 (2x)
2013 Antwerp, Oberhausen, Brussels, Rotterdam, Amsterdam
friscogrl

Post by friscogrl »

Hmmm, the hair does seem lighter but the posture, shape of the head and the ears seem to resemble Leonard.
The other fellow you mentioned appears to have longer and probably even lighter hair. Anyway great pictures.
Hydra must have been a really "hip" place to be at that time.

Frisco
2008 Toronto June 6/ 2009 New York Feb 19 Oakland April 13 14 Coachella April 17 Ottawa May 25 26 Barcelona Sept 21 Las Vegas 11/12 San Jose 11/13
2010 Malmo Aug 4 Gothenburg Aug 12 Las Vegas Dec 10 & 11
2012 Verona 9/24 San Jose 11/7. Montreal 11/28 11/29/ 2013 Oakland 3/2 NYC 4/6
Hamilton 4/9
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Perhaps, the shoes can give a clue. The 'blondeness' of the hair seems to me to be just the highlighting that comes in photos from the sun and the sun is very bright on Hydra. The person really does resemble Leonard from behind. He also seems to have that more conservative form of dress that is typical of Leonard.

And, of course, then there's Leonard's cheek and what appears to be Marianne in the photo below it. In the other, group shot, it looks like Marianne, with her feet resting on the seat where everyone else sits.

These photos are really a pleasure to look at and imagine the happenings surrounding them.

~ Lizzy
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde

Return to “News”