CONCERT REPORT: Rotterdam, November 3

September 21 - November 30, 2008. Concert reports, set lists, photos, media coverage, multimedia links, recollections...
RickT

CONCERT REPORT: Rotterdam, November 3

Post by RickT »

We had a great time. It was a really great concert. Something really special. Unfortenly I was sitting to far away for making good pictures. [Arena Tribune]

However I did made some music video`s. I will put them on youtube tomorrow.

Thanks again Leonard for coming to Rotterdam.

I could make just 1 good picture

Leonard Cohen in Rotterdam - The Future
http://nl.youtube.com/watch?v=AIK8RnEJSZ4

Leonard Cohen in Rotterdam - Everybody Knows
http://nl.youtube.com/watch?v=bRwum48GeAw

Leonard Cohen in Rotterdam - Heart With No Companion
http://nl.youtube.com/watch?v=GiKzfXcoeUM

Leonard Cohen in Rotterdam - The Partisan
http://nl.youtube.com/watch?v=J3Iy5UMZMlA

Leonard Cohen in Rotterdam - Anthem
http://nl.youtube.com/watch?v=L70rA7I6RyQ

sorry for the poor quality :-(
› LEONARD COHEN WEDEROM GROOTS :: 4-11-2008

Het optreden van LEONARD COHEN, vierenzeventig, is in vele opzichten een reprise van zijn legendarische bezoek aan het Westerpark te Amsterdam, 12 juli jongstleden. Dezelfde bandleden, hetzelfde podiumbeeld, en vrijwel dezelfde songs. Ook de aankondigingen en de bewoordingen waarmee hij zijn bandleden presenteert zijn vaak exact hetzelfde. Ook van gelijke strekking: de enorme charme en overtuiging van zijn persoonlijkheid als performer, en de kracht van zijn songs. Leonard Cohen is ook vanavond weer inspirerend, liefdevol en troostrijk.

Verschillen zijn er ook. Het is fantastisch om nu Chelsea Hotel #2 (over seks met Janis Joplin) en Famous Blue Raincoat te horen, daarentegen moeten we Sisters of Mercy missen, dat in het Westerpark wel tot het toegiftenblok behoorde. Dit maakt het optreden niet wezenlijk anders. De locatie doet dat wel.

Het ‘veld’ van een mooi vol Ahoy is voorzien van keurige rijen stoelen, wat prima uitkomt voor de overwegend oudere concertbezoeker. Tegelijkertijd geeft de ambiance van sfeer en comfort de avond iets vormelijks dat ‘Westerpark’ niet had. Gezeten op hun stoelen durven de mensen nauwelijks mee te zingen met de bezwerende bariton van Leonard en de vaak hemelse vrouwenzang van Sharon Robinson en Hattie en Charly Webb (The Webb Sisters). Hierdoor krijgt de avond meer het karakter van een recital en minder van een spirituele samenkomst met community singing. En ja, en dan is er het verschil tussen in- en outdoors. Het beton van Ahoy in de herfst kan nu eenmaal niet op tegen een zomeravond in juli, waar de grillige natuur (wolken, wind en een in zonnestralen openbarstende hemel) een magische synergie aanging met de muziek.

Dat alles laat onverlet dat we vanavond wederom collectief een brok in de keel wegslikken, of een opkomende traan moeten wegpinken bij de topstukken uit het oeuvre van de meester, zoals Bird On The Wire, Secret Life, Anthem (wow, wat een song), de bijna verbeten strijdbare uitvoering van het Franse verzetsliedje The Partisan of Hallelujah, waarvoor Leonard door de knieën gaat: ‘I didn’t come to Rotterdam to fool you, and even though
it all went wrong/ I'll stand before the Lord of Song/ With nothing on my tongue but Hallelujah.’

Die zinnen zijn cruciaal. De oude Leonard, wederom het toonbeeld van gentlemanship, met zijn onkreukbare kostuum, de hoed in de hand nemend en bewonderend tegen het hart drukkend wanneer zijn bandleden soleren, nog iets magerder en oudemannen-achtiger dan in het Westerpark, maar toch ook vief en soms zelf dartel, staat vanavond – met als wapen zijn ‘golden voice’, een fikse portie zelfrelativering en een levenswijsheid die je alleen maar benijdenswaardig kunt noemen – voor de Lord Of Song (wie dat dan ook wezen mag, als toehoorder kun je niet om zijn bestaan heen) en wat hij zijn gehoor meegeeft kun je niet anders ervaren als een zegening. Schrijf maar op: Leonard Cohen wederom groots. Wat kan muziek simpelweg mooi zijn. TOM ENGELSHOVEN

Foto: PETER PAKVIS

Gezien: AHOY, ROTTERDAM (3 NOVEMBER 2008)

translation with Google:

Leonard Cohen GREAT AGAIN

4-11-2008

The appearance of Leonard Cohen, seventy-four, is in many respects a reprise of his legendary visit to the Westerpark in Amsterdam on July 12 this year. The same band, same podium picture, and almost the same songs. The announcements and the terms by which he introduced his band members are often exactly the same. Also equivalent: the enormous charm and conviction of his personality as a performer, and the power of his songs. Leonard Cohen is also back tonight inspiring, loving and comforting rich.

There are also differences. It is fantastic to now Chelsea Hotel # 2 (about sex with Janis Joplin) and Famous Blue Raincoat to hear, on the other hand, we should miss Sisters of Mercy, that the Westerpark up to the encore block belonged. This makes the action not substantially different. The site does that well.

The 'field' of a beautiful full Ahoy is equipped with neat rows of chairs, which easily leads to the predominantly older concert visitor. At the same time, the ambient atmosphere and comfort of the evening daily form something that Westerpark 'had not. Seated in their chairs people hardly dare to sing with the incantation baritone of Leonard and the often vocal ofheaven wife Sharon Robinson and Hattie Webb and Charly (The Webb Sisters). This evening, the more the character of a recital and less of a spiritual meeting with community singing. And yes, and then there's the difference between in and outdoors. The concrete of Ahoy in the fall may not happen at a summer evening in July, where the capricious nature (clouds, wind and sunshine in a sky bursting open) entered a magical synergy with the music.

All this does not prevent us tonight again a collective lump in the throat wegslikken, or an emerging need to tear wegpinken to the highlights from the oeuvre of the master, such as Bird On The Wire, Secret Life, Anthem (wow, what a song) the almost relentless combative performance of the French resistance song The Partisan or Hallelujah, by Leonard covered the knees is: 'I did not come to Rotterdam to fool you, and even though
it all went wrong / I'll stand before the Lord of Song / With nothing on my tongue but Hallelujah. "

Those phrases are crucial. The old Leonard, once the epitome of gentleman ship, with its integrity costume, the hat in hand against taking and admiring the heart when his bandmates stiffling solo, something leaner and old men-achtiger than in the Westerpark, but also keen and sometimes frisky self, is tonight - as a weapon with his' golden voice ', a large portion himself into perspective and a life wisdom that you can only call Decent enviable - for the Lord Of Song (who also refused it may, as an observer, you can not have outward existence) and what they are hearing you can not give otherwise perceived as a blessing. Write it on: Leonard Cohen once again grand. What can simply beautiful music. TOM ENGLISH HOVEN

Picture: PETER PAKVIS

Seen: AHOY, ROTTERDAM (3 NOVEMBER 2008)
Setlist

Dance Me To The End Of Love
The Future
Bird On The Wire
Everybody Knows
In My Secret Life
Hey, That’s No Way To Say Goodbye
Heart With No Companion
Anthem

Tower Of Song
Chelsea Hotel #2
Suzanne
Gypsy Wife
The Partisan
Boogie Street
Hallelujah
Democracy
I’m Your Man
Take This Waltz

So Long, Marianne
First We Take Manhattan
Famous Blue Raincoat
If It Be Your Will
Closing Time
I Tried To Leave You
Whither Thou Goest

http://www.oor.nl/deruit_concertverslag ... asp?id=907

[Music magazine]
Last edited by RickT on Wed Nov 05, 2008 3:50 pm, edited 17 times in total.
ronald1956

Re: Rotterdam, November 3

Post by ronald1956 »

I will post the setlist and my comments as well.
Ia m very, very excited, after that wonderfull evening in Amsterdam, now Leonard will be playing in my hometown.
I 'am bringing a friend that I know for fourty years and he never liked Leonard's music that much. But after my stories from the show in Amsterdam and the many stories of the tour in Europa he would see it for himself. So I love to hear his toughts of the show.
ronald1956

Post by ronald1956 »

Well I'am speechless. This was an amazing evening.
For me the first three songs weren't that great, it was a bit dull. Except for the acrobetics of the webb sisters. But from "bird on a wire" on it was outstanding. Leonard sang Bird on a wire with such a feeling and compassion that it nearly knocked me of my seat. For me I thought that Leonard changed lyrics at the end of the song.
A great surprise was "chelsea hotel" that wasn't that much in the setlists that I saw. It was great to hear it.
I was with a friend of mine who onely knows "suzanne" and a litte bit of "so long Marianne". At the end of the show he was clapping and shouting louder then I was. For him it was a one time experience that he will never forget. For me it was something i was waiting for for a long time and reached up to all my expectations.
geedsen

Post by geedsen »

What a great evening. As a regular concert visitor, I have to say this concert was outstanding. His golden voice seems to only get better. Leonard, thanks
Last edited by geedsen on Tue Nov 04, 2008 11:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Inge

Post by Inge »

It was wonderful. It was amazing. I thought that the concert in Amsterdam couldn't be better, but in Rotterdam his voice was even better than in Amsterdam. And he sang "Chelsea Hotel"!!!! Was this the first time in the tour (summer and fall)?
And he sang The Partisan, my favourite. And Famous Blue Raincoat. It was all fantastic.
I thought that the atmosphere in Amsterdam was better. It was outside and the location was great. But Leonard's voice was much better in Rotterdam. It really surprised me.
I want to tell more, but I'm tired and can't organize my thoughts. To much music in my head. To much Leonard in my head.
All I can say, it was beautiful, wonderful, amazing. And I feel happy. Thank you, Leonard, thank you very much.
colia

Post by colia »

I'm still speachless thanks to this wonderfull concert,
Last night will be with me forever,
Thank you Leonard for all your songs, and indeed for your golden voice.

Sincerily Lia.
heleen

Post by heleen »

Dear all LC fans..

yesterday was again marvelous! this time i took my son, he was overwelmed too.. so much that he googled and read this Forum after coming home
Last edited by heleen on Wed Nov 05, 2008 12:23 am, edited 2 times in total.
anthem

Post by anthem »

The concert in Rotterdam is undoubtedly the best concert i have ever been to (to me, it was even better than the concert in Amsterdam this summer).
From humility and grace, from solitude to solace, from sadness with a smile to a smile with sadness, from love to war to happiness.... It was all there. I can't thank the band and Leonard Cohen enough for what turned out to be a memorable night.

I found the audience to be very, very pleasant. Silent and respectful, yet welcoming Leonard with a standing ovation on the opening bars of Dance me to the end of love.

What also impressed me was that somewhere during the second part of the show the whole audience got up on its feet and it remained so till the end of the concert! This was a wonderful gesture of respect and love towards the band and Leonard. (I have never seen anything like this at another concert before. I don't know how this was at the other concerts of this tour, but i found it to be utterly moving.)

As the concert progressed it seemed to turn into a spiritual gathering, with lots of people softly humming or singing along and tears flowing. Right before me were an older couple and halfway the encores the woman just lay her head on the shoulders of her man; an image of love and intimacy in a big concrete nasty hall: that is exactly what Leonard brought to this building and I am sure that all who were there were touched in some way.

May God bless you, Leonard, and please don't catch a cold. Thank you for the music and thank you for the searching of the soul.
gijs

Post by gijs »

Everything great, amazing etcetc
Chelsea Hotel Great, I think with one false chord in the second verse, but who cares
Mazal

Post by Mazal »

The setlist above is not complete... This is the correct list:

01. Dance Me to the End of Love
02. The Future
03. Ain't No Cure for Love
04. Bird on a Wire
05. Everybody Knows
06. In My Secret Life
07. Who by Fire
08. Hey, That's No Way to Say Goodbye
09. Heart With No Companion
10. Anthem

11. Tower of Song
12. Chelsea Hotel #2
13. Suzanne
14. The Gypsy's Wife
15. The Partisan
16. Boogie Street
17. Hallelujah
18. Democracy
19. I'm Your Man
20. Take This Waltz

21. So Long, Marianne
22. First We Take Manhattan
23. Famous Blue Raincoat
24. If It Be Your Will
25. Closing Time

26. I Tried to Leave You
27. Whither Thou Goest
Attachments
DSC00055.JPG
DSC00055.JPG (15.37 KiB) Viewed 11835 times
DSC00058.JPG
DSC00058.JPG (8.36 KiB) Viewed 11826 times
DSC00071.JPG
DSC00071.JPG (8.5 KiB) Viewed 11823 times
Last edited by Mazal on Wed Nov 05, 2008 9:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
RickT

Post by RickT »

Thanxz Mazal ;-)
neo

Post by neo »

Thanks Mazal for the pix!
ellenaversonn

Post by ellenaversonn »

i was so happy, i managed to get an autographImage

RickT

Post by RickT »

You`r one lucky girl. :D

Specially wen you reed this:
Because of the very hectic tour itinerary Leonard is not able to invite visitors, he is not giving any interviews, and is not going backstage after the concerts. The short periods between the sound checks, concerts and continuous traveling from country to country have to be reserved for rest. I am sure we all can understand this.
maybe you can put it on ebay ;-)
drsing

Post by drsing »

ellenaversonn wrote:i was so happy, i managed to get an autograph

Congratulations!!
I was also at the concert in Rotterdam, noticed the tour buses outside the Ahoy, but HOW? at what time did you manage to see mr. Cohen, you must have been waiting for hours I suppose ?
:?: :roll:
1985 Rotterdam
1988 Amsterdam
1993 The Hague
2008 Manchester, Brussels (2x), Rotterdam
2009 Lisboa
2010 Dortmund
2012 Ghent 2012 (2x), Amsterdam 2012 (2x)
2013 Antwerp, Oberhausen, Brussels, Rotterdam, Amsterdam

Return to “The Fall Tour in Europe 2008”