CONCERT REPORT: Munich, October 6

September 21 - November 30, 2008. Concert reports, set lists, photos, media coverage, multimedia links, recollections...
Bill's Bar

Re: Munich, October6

Post by Bill's Bar »

Ihope Charley will turn more cartwheel tricks for the rest of the tour. I agree that Leonard seems to get great energy and connection with the audience. It happened at each concert I've been at and is a reflection of the charisma and sincerity of the man. I get the feeling that he is still surprised and humbled by the reaction. And it always brings a lump to my throat especially at the end when he says " I don't know when we'll meet again".....lots of time I hope. I get the feeling that he regrets not having toured more in the past 15 years. Has anyone seen or heard him comment on this.? And a final ? for now. I saw somewhere (maybe on this forum) that Lian Lunson is making a film of the tour. Is she.?

Tony.
2008: Dublin 14/6, Lucca 27/7,Munich 6/10, Bournemouth 11/11, London 13/11 ,Paris 24/11.
2009: Quebec 21/5, Ottawa 26/5, Dublin 19/7,Venice 3/8, Barcelona 21/9, Nashville 5/11, St.Louis 7/11, San Jose 13/11
2010: Sligo 31/7,1/8.
Speed Demon

Post by Speed Demon »

Thanks for the info - yeah... please, more of Charley's cartwheel tricks. ;)

Hm, to be honest there's one thing I didn't like that much: When I was in Lörrach, what he said to the audience all seemed so true and personal. But when I saw the show in Munich for the second time, most of what he said seemed identical. Of course I'm not saying he wouldn't mean it, but a little alteration would be nice. This way, if you have seen the concert you just think "ah, next he'll say this" or "ah, now this' joke's next"... :roll:.
richardrj

Post by richardrj »

Speed Demon wrote:Hm, to be honest there's one thing I didn't like that much: When I was in Lörrach, what he said to the audience all seemed so true and personal. But when I saw the show in Munich for the second time, most of what he said seemed identical. Of course I'm not saying he wouldn't mean it, but a little alteration would be nice. This way, if you have seen the concert you just think "ah, next he'll say this" or "ah, now this' joke's next"... :roll:.
I couldn't agree more, in fact I've been making the same point on this forum for months. Live performance by its nature should be raw, spontaneous and improvisatory. These shows are none of those things – they are slick, rehearsed and managed, just like a Broadway musical.
Apolinary

Post by Apolinary »

Yes, such repeating can be disappointing a bit. I had the same feeling on the second concert I attended. Fantastic words I've heard the first time became a stage-managed skit.
But there are so much shows, so much work and tiredness. There aren't many people attending more than one gig. If you do so, you have to be prepared to listen some things twice :)
From my personal experience - it's very difficult to prepare a new oration for the same song every time you play it. I try not to repeat myself in the same place twice, but I can't do more about this. It's better to focus the creativity on new songs and arrangements :)
And, after all, when people are fantastic again, it's not a sin to tell them the same thing again. Except from You or maybe 10-20-50 other people, everyone's hearing it for the first time :)
There is a crack in everything
That's how the light gets in.
Suzana123

Post by Suzana123 »

I can see your point, but hey, Leonard is an artist who communicates through his music.
Apolinary

Post by Apolinary »

That's the most important true!
There is a crack in everything
That's how the light gets in.
Bill's Bar

Post by Bill's Bar »

It's definitely true that Leonard's music is the most important thing on the tour, and it's a little bit unfair to say each show is entirely the same and his comments totally scripted. For example in Munich he referred to the collapse of the stock markets and also made a joke about the Circus Kroner? where he last played there.
Ive seen Bob Dylan stumble and shuffle on and off the stage without even acknowledging the audience on occasion. I'm a big fan of Dylan, but his concerts have never matched the intensity of Leonard's live shows for me. A well rehearsed and professional concert where the audience and band are treated with respect and given full value for money is well worth seeing again and again.!!
2008: Dublin 14/6, Lucca 27/7,Munich 6/10, Bournemouth 11/11, London 13/11 ,Paris 24/11.
2009: Quebec 21/5, Ottawa 26/5, Dublin 19/7,Venice 3/8, Barcelona 21/9, Nashville 5/11, St.Louis 7/11, San Jose 13/11
2010: Sligo 31/7,1/8.
mirka

Post by mirka »

richardrj wrote: I couldn't agree more, in fact I've been making the same point on this forum for months. Live performance by its nature should be raw, spontaneous and improvisatory. These shows are none of those things – they are slick, rehearsed and managed, just like a Broadway musical.
Is this a joke ?? :shock:
Live performance should be raw and spontaneous, but it's OK for the audience expecting this 'raw and spontaneous performance' to be reserved and uptight ?
Artist is not a puppet obliged to perform new tricks each time, he is a human being, a very sensitive one, and responds directly to the emotions from the audience. I saw LC holding a genuine dialog with the audience at some concerts, for this to happen however the audience needs to show signs of life, snoozing and politely clapping certainly don't count, IMHO.
And besides - the concerts were never announced as jams, they are just rehearsed performances.
/Warsaw March 22 1985 / Halifax May 16 /Charlottetown May 18 / Dublin June 15 / Vienna Sept 24 2008/
Oakland April 13, 14, 15, San Jose Nov 13 2009/
Las Vegas Dec 11 2010/ Oakland March 2 2013/
MaryB

Post by MaryB »

mirka wrote:
richardrj wrote: I couldn't agree more, in fact I've been making the same point on this forum for months. Live performance by its nature should be raw, spontaneous and improvisatory. These shows are none of those things – they are slick, rehearsed and managed, just like a Broadway musical.
Is this a joke ?? :shock:
Live performance should be raw and spontaneous, but it's OK for the audience expecting this 'raw and spontaneous performance' to be reserved and uptight ?
Artist is not a puppet obliged to perform new tricks each time, he is a human being, a very sensitive one, and responds directly to the emotions from the audience. I saw LC holding a genuine dialog with the audience at some concerts, for this to happen however the audience needs to show signs of life, snoozing and politely clapping certainly don't count, IMHO.
And besides - the concerts were never announced as jams, they are just rehearsed performances.
I agree completely Mirka! I too have seen that the more the audience has responded at certain concerts, the more we have gotten back from LC and his wonderful singers and musicians.
Best regards,
Mary
1993 Detroit 2008 Kitchener June 2-Hamilton June 3 & 4-Vienna Sept 24 & 25-London RAH Nov 17 2009 NYC Feb 19-Grand Prairie Apr 3-Phoenix Apr 5-Columbia May 11-Red Rocks Jun 4-Barcelona Sept 21-Columbus Oct 27-Las Vegas Nov 12-San Jose Nov 13 2010 Sligo Jul 31 & Aug 1-LV Dec 10 & 11 2012 Paris Sept 30-London Dec 11-Boston Dec 16 2013 Louisville Mar 30-Amsterdam Sept 20
Suzana123

Post by Suzana123 »

I have forgotten to mention, that us, sitting on the galleries were limited to watching the bigscreens most of the time, or at least when we wanted to see a closeup on Leonard or the band. Well, I'd like to thank and say how muchI appreciate the great job of the camerman (men?). The images were beautiful. Thank you, guys!
fab

Post by fab »

I went from Valencia (Spain) to Munich only for the concert.

It was my first LC concert and I can say like Susana that it was the most wonderful concert ever.

The concert was so long and beautiful, that sometimes I think that it seems a goodbye tour. It's possible?.

(I excuse for my english)
johnnytyp

Post by johnnytyp »

So - he said:

"last time is was here, it was at the "Zirkus Krone" - I miss the elephants a little bit..."

http://www.circus-krone.de/de/munich/index.html

Great Concert - I miss some recordings on http://www.dimeadozen.org

Daniel
Speed Demon

Post by Speed Demon »

Hm ok you might be right, of course you can't demand anything like spontaneous commentaries, I was just disappointed some words Leonard said to the audiences were EXACTLY the same, like this "privileged" thing about having the possibility to play here tonight while all these things go on in the world.

Are the any photos or news reports about the concert? I miss them...
Suzana123

Post by Suzana123 »

I found some beautiful photos on this link:

http://www.zimbio.com/pictures/vHqry6Au ... nard+Cohen
leonhardi

Post by leonhardi »

johnnytyp wrote:So - he said:

"last time is was here, it was at the "Zirkus Krone" - I miss the elephants a little bit..."

http://www.circus-krone.de/de/munich/index.html

Great Concert - I miss some recordings on http://www.dimeadozen.org

Daniel
I remember that when he said that one about Circus Krone I thought that he must have prepared himself quite well. I mean, how long ago was that? You don't just recall something like that spontaneously, or do you? And I loved it that he had prepared something like that just for us!

I'm just listening to the Copenhagen audience recording I d/l'd the other day, and I recognize many of the jokes and such (with a few very slight alterations). So ok, he prepared the entire show very well. What else do I expect from a VERY professional artist who's been on stages all over the world so many times?

Maybe, if I had the chance to see him another two or three times, maybe I would start being a bit bored, but for me who could only spend that one evening with him and the band, it was just that close to a prefect concert. Listening to the recordings for the 5th time still has me smiling like a dummy ;-)

Return to “The Fall Tour in Europe 2008”