CONCERT REPORT: Munich, October 6

September 21 - November 30, 2008. Concert reports, set lists, photos, media coverage, multimedia links, recollections...
Suzana123

CONCERT REPORT: Munich, October 6

Post by Suzana123 »

Last night I attended the most wonderful concert ever.
Leonard and his group gave us marvelous performance and many (I think 6) extra songs!
His voice, his music, his carisma, everything was unforgettable.
And in the end, I managed to give him a red rose :D

Well I do hope all of you will go to one of the concerts, because it's just a "must" thing to do!

Thank you from all my heart, Leonard!

p.s.
Sorry I dont' have a setlist, but I was too emotional to write it down or remember.
But yes, there was Suzanne, Famous Blue Raincoat, So long Marianne, I'm your man, Hallelujah, If it be your will (with sublime Web Sisters), Bird on the wire, Hey, that's no way to say goodbye, Closing time, I cannot leave you tonight, First we take Manhattan, Everybody knows and many many more - 3 hours of pure pelasure.
When I arrived he was just having a tone rehearsal and we were standing by the open door it was a pre-concert for a few of us, lucky enough to be there. They rehearsed Partisan as well, but didin't performed it at the concert.
Kiwi56

Re: Munich, October6

Post by Kiwi56 »

Don`t worry Suzana, there is a setlist of the Munich concert under the point " setlists" :)
2008 Lörrach,Oberhausen,2009 Dublin, 2010 Stuttgart, 2012Verona
Brrrzzz

Post by Brrrzzz »

So, Suzana, that was YOU that gave Leonard the red rose! What a wonderful memory!

I, too, was overcome with emotion more than once. One of my friends jokingly said it was a religious experience for me, and that's about as close as I can think of to explain it.

Now I have to try to get tickets to another concert.
Well, never mind. We are ugly, but we have the music.
Suzana123

Post by Suzana123 »

Well, there were two of us, my friend and me both went to buy roses before the concert. I think Leonard deserved to get hundreds of them last night, don't you think?
And according to all the reviews he'd deserve hundreds of them everyplace he has a concert.
You know, it was marvelous last night, but the magic still lasts today and it will probably keep me warm throughout the winter. :)
I so wish I could attend more of his concerts, but I come from Slovenia and he isn't coming here, so Munich was "it" for me.
Wishing lots of pleasure to all the people that are still going to see him.
K-Holed

Post by K-Holed »

I'm so glad to see Avalanche starting to make a regular appearance. It's the one song (along with waiting for the miracle) that I hoped to hear at one of the last three concerts I went to. I'll be there again in Manchester in November, so fingers crossed. :0)

At the end of the day I'm just happy he's playing live again.

//James xx
tomsakic

Post by tomsakic »

Watching now YouTube clips from Prague and Munich, LC seems tired and his voice almost whispering, compared to the loud and uplifting Summer shows. Can somebody who were on the new shows say me their opinion?
Matthias1234

Post by Matthias1234 »

Well, for a second I had the same thought in Berlin. But I'm not sure, if we are now just used to his "new" voice - after he stopped smoking and drinking so much - so that we are no longer so impressed of it (and in Lörrach, I was really impressed by his voice, and afterwards, some of the records, especially the "Future"-Album, sounded strange to me with his darker voice). In Berlin his singing of Hallejuh seemed not so strong like in the summer, but on the other hand I found the older songs like "Suzanne" sounded better.

So, anyway, just some month ago it would have been a unbelieveable privilege to think about his singing at concerts...
Suzana123

Post by Suzana123 »

I've checked the clip from Munich and I think it is not a very good one. I think he sounded as good as ever, his voice deep and caressing.

If you ask me, he didn't sound or looked tired, which is actually surprising after the tight scedule he's been on for quite a long time now.

He was joking, he was sort of jumping whenever he came on or went off the stage.

I like to think that he's pumping energy from the audience, which is giving him so much love and positive feedback. Compared to what he's been giving to us, it's still just a seadrop.

We were eaiting from his palm and hoping he'd never stop feeding us.
jarkko
Site Admin

Post by jarkko »

One cannot make accurate observations from the low quality YouTube clips. It also depends on the location of the guy who films the clips.
Leonard was in very good mood and full of energy. However, the tour is extremely exhausting for all members of the band and crew, and sometimes they all may be more tired, especially if there are no extra days between the gigs, but they all are top professionals, and make their best not to show it to the audience.
1988, 1993: Helsinki||2008: Manchester|Oslo|London O2|Berlin|Helsinki|London RAH|| 2009: New York Beacon|Berlin|Venice|Barcelona|Las Vegas|San José||2010: Salzburg|Helsinki|Gent|Bratislava|Las Vegas|| 2012: Gent|Helsinki|Verona|| 2013: New York|Pula|Oslo|||
stephencharlton

Post by stephencharlton »

I think the sound quality varies depending on the accoustics of the arena. The sound quality in Berlin was excellent, i was sitting high up in the upper tier. I sat on the floor at O2 London and the sound was not as clear. The sound team appear to have worked wonders adapting to each venue. As for Leonard's voice, he sounded great in Berlin, as good as in the summer...........as did the 'sublime' backing vocalists. It will be interesting to hear how the sound team deals with the RAH in November, the accoustics there are quite unique ! :D
2008 Manchester
London O2 x3
2009 Berlin
2010 Poland
2012 Belgium
2013 London 02
Bill's Bar

Post by Bill's Bar »

Hi

I was at the concert in Munich on Monday, and having seen Leonard in Dublin and Lucca during the Summer, I enjoyed the the evening as much as those two occasions (and I still have two in the UK and one in Paris to look forward to )!!. I agree however with the other post which felt his performance of Hallelujah was not as strong as on the previous nights.
He more than made up for this with me however with the "singalong" version of Marianne, and with the inclusion of Famous Blue Raincoat and Avalanche. He did seem a little tired at times which is not surprising, but still ran, skipped and jumped on and off the stage. And did anyone notice the "white girl dancing" cartwheel of one of the Webb sisters during the Future.?

I noticed Leonard got a card as well the roses a the end of the show!.

Tony
Dublin.
2008: Dublin 14/6, Lucca 27/7,Munich 6/10, Bournemouth 11/11, London 13/11 ,Paris 24/11.
2009: Quebec 21/5, Ottawa 26/5, Dublin 19/7,Venice 3/8, Barcelona 21/9, Nashville 5/11, St.Louis 7/11, San Jose 13/11
2010: Sligo 31/7,1/8.
Suzana123

Post by Suzana123 »

Yes, I've noticed the cartwheel.
The singers were really great, but I think most of the people were paying attention to Leonard so it's good that the girls had their opportunity to sing their soloes too.

Tired or not tired, Leonard gave the highest number of extras I've ever seen in a concert.
I remember going to a RHCP concert In Udine, Italy last year - the show lasted for 1.15 hour altogether!

I wish I'd set a trend with the roses :)
Juergiano

Post by Juergiano »

In Berlin he didn´t display the least sign of tiredness, but maybe we have exhausted him, sorry dear Munich visitors for that 8)
As for Hallelujah, many people including myself had thought that this was the one song that clearly was performed better by others than by the master himself. This has changed in Berlin, where his performance of this song was unbelievably strong.
Speed Demon

Post by Speed Demon »

I was there, too.... yes, the cartwheel by Charley was really cool. Was this completely new or did she also do this on other shows?

There were flyers handed out before the show that a Leonard Cohen special was aired on 23.05 h on Bayern 2 (radio) (great if you think the concert wasn't even finished yet at that time ;)). Anybody has recorded that or knows where to get it? Did they air new interviews or concert snippets of Munich?
Paul Zagreb

Post by Paul Zagreb »

Speed Demon wrote:I was there, too.... yes, the cartwheel by Charley was really cool. Was this completely new or did she also do this on other shows?
In Berlin yes, during the (altered) "the white girls dancing" part of 'The Future' --- it was new to me .. not done in Manchester or Vienna!

As for Leonard's tiredness ... I don't know ...in Berlin, with the benefit of the big screen you really could see how much he was enjoying himself. For what it's worth, my sense is that in each concert the highlights are slightly different and I do agree with those who have suggested he seems to be gaining energy from the audience reaction. In Berlin, there was huge response but in the first half, mostly, this was absorbed, by the sheer enormity of the building, whereas in the second half and particularly during the encores it was more tangible.
2008: Manchester 20 June /Vienna 24 September /Berlin 4 October / Cardiff 8 November/Manchester 30 November 2009: Liverpool 14 July / Belgrade 2 September / Barcelona 21 September 2010: Zagreb 25 July /Sankt Margarethan 5 September 2012: Ghent 12 August/Verona 24 September/Lisbon 7 October 2013: London 21 June / Berlin 17 July / Ljubljana 25 July / Pula 2 August / London 15 September

Return to “The Fall Tour in Europe 2008”