Leonard Cohen FTP

General discussion about Leonard Cohen's songs and albums
deepwintersnight

Leonard Cohen FTP

Post by deepwintersnight »

I certainly can't imagine being the first to say 'happy birthday' to Leonard, but who's counting?

Happy Birthday Leonard!

I may be the first, however, to mention that anyone interested in hearing and trading rare and live material online can do so at the newly launched Leonard Cohen FTP.

Everyone is welcome to pay a visit to:
http://nightcomeson.cjb.net

Kindest of regards,
DwN
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Absent legal ramifications, or are you a plant :wink: ?

I haven't gotten there yet, but I do hope you've [since this posting] gone to the thread that Jarkko will be making Leonard privy to, where a number of us are wishing him the same.

~ Lizzytysh
jeannieb

Post by jeannieb »

Happy Birthday Leonard, indeed!

I just realized I sent him a snail mail card wishing him a happy 70th, and it is his 69th.

I guess I was thinking about the NYC meeting next year when he will (I hope) be seventy. I still feel like a bit of an idiot.

Hope this has been a day of whatever he hoped it would be.

What does the group think of a mass email campaign to Biography Cable channel to request a bio of our favorite Canadian singer-songwriter?
"...and for something like a second, I was cured, and my heart was at ease."
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

The biography issue sounds like a plan to me, Jeannie. Did you go to the thread that Jarkko will be linking Leonard with, to extend your wishes there?
jeannieb

Post by jeannieb »

What thread is that?
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Oh dear, I'm afraid you may have missed it. I'm sorry I wasn't complete with my question, giving you the info as well. It was in the News section. I don't know if it's too late, but I'd sure give it a try, anyway. It can't hurt to give him your wishes belatedly. The particular thread will be apparent by its title. You may want to enable the option here that highlights the postings/Sections that have been added [to] since you visited last. It helps you in not missing postings.
deepwintersnight

Post by deepwintersnight »

I feel odd returning to this thread now its topic has changed somewhat :-)
Yet, I shall press on, as they say.

Apologies for taking a few days to return, but here I am to address your reply for the interest (hopefully) of yourself or any other readers.

Am I a plant? I may require copious quantities of water on occasion but, until I begin to photosynthesise, I shall maintain otherwise.

From the position I occupy, I can conceive of at least three concerns or concerning points of view regarding the FTP:

1) You believe that what I am doing is wrong and morally reprehensible and you don’t intend to be party to it in any capacity.
2) You are content with the FTP and its objective. From your perspective it is an entirely condonable and productive concept but, particularly in light of recent litigious action taken against Internet users and (not necessarily exclusively) young girls, you fear the potential consequences for you and/or I following active use of the FTP.
3) You expect I am a man in a suit collecting e-mail addresses, IP numbers, etc effectively laying cheese in traps in an elaborate ploy of enticement.

I would like to speak to, or hear from, anyone of the belief expressed in suggestion one to hear the rationale behind it.

The nub of the analogue in suggestion three, and I hope this isn't the case, does heavily rely upon the notion of you perceiving yourself as a rat or vermin of similar descent. I anticipate, and simultaneously hope, that there is a perfectly rational (and, perhaps, profound) psychological explanation behind this and it transpires that, with sufficient love and support, that the syndrome may be overcome and that you may, ergo, find yourself able to lead, or approximate, a normal, healthy life.

Finally, I would like to allay any fears expressed by anyone contemplating the second point, but can I? The concept and, as far as I am aware, the legality of the FTP differs significantly from that of active P2P users. I do address this on the server page, in the FAQ/PQCR at:
http://nightcomeson.cjb.net/pqcr.htm
Specifically, in sections 2.3.1c - 2.3.1g. Do have a read if you are interested. I wish only to extend to a more accessible medium the trading of Leonard Cohen rarities which already takes place actively via tape and CD-R.

Thanks for your time and kind regards,
DwN
jeannieb

Post by jeannieb »

Dear Night,

Your generous offer to share rare LC materials seems admirable, and you have gone to considerable trouble to do so.

I am new to this furum, but assume someone has given you a hard time.

I myself have decided to avail myself of your service (once I figure it out!), and extend my thanks.
linmag

Post by linmag »

deepwintersnight - I just wanted to say a public thank-you for the files you have made available for downloading on your site. I have visited the site a couple of times now, and have found it very easy to use even with my limited technical knowhow. Having mastered the art of downloading, I shall shortly be having a go at uploading some of my files for you to make available in return.

For the doubters - I have as yet received no sudden deluge of spam or threats of legal action, :D so why not give it a try yourselves?
Linda

1972: Leeds, 2008: Manchester, Lyon, London O2, 2009: Wet Weybridge, 2012: Hop Farm/Wembley Arena
margaret

Post by margaret »

I haven't yet had enough time to check this system out but I have had some success in recent months using the Windows system WinMX. It seems to me another way for like-minded fans to share their collection without anyone profiteering unduly. I will give it a try soon. Thanks for your hard work in setting this up DwN
songster

Post by songster »

Thanks for this site. I recently downloaded the Amsterdam 1980 concert. The Joan of Arc duet with Sharon Robinson is OUTSTANDING. The best rendention I've heard. (Just my personal opinion). In fact, it's the first time I've been able to hear Sharon's voice really featured. Absolutely beautiful.

Return to “Leonard Cohen's music”