CONCERT REPORT: Amsterdam (July 12)

Canada and Europe (May 11 - August 3, 2008). Concert reports, set lists, photos, media coverage, multimedia links, recollections...
dick

Re: amsterdam westergasfabriek 12 juli

Post by dick »

suzannejager -- wonderful pro photos... thanks for sharing them

nessus jr -- please visit us more often... like your style and humor

Wybe and Willy -- how wonderful you got time with Sharon! And thanks for the pic!

Andy -- so happy you joined the throng -- Toronto was our first, so know what you mean about FINALLY!

Wish we could join so many fantastic Cohen friends in London.

Hugs and Toasts all around

dick and linda
NickShears

Post by NickShears »

How lovely as always to enjoy a concert vicariously through your comments and photos, everyone. Thank you. Especially nice to see your comment, Andrew, and knowing that you were representing us Australian fans at that show.

Nick
Nick,
London 1979, London 1983, London 1988, Brisbane 2009
Remigius

Post by Remigius »

What a truly wonderful night, the best concert I have ever witnessed ( truly !! ) but I've been
waiting 20 years for this moment ... The atmosphere was fantastic, we stood right in the middle
of the field ( not far from the podium ) surrounded by all you wonderful LC-fans, with lots of
nationalities. Now I know for sure, Cohen-fans are indeed very nice people !!!
true love leaves no traces
Nessus Jr

Post by Nessus Jr »

Dick wrote: nessus jr -- please visit us more often... like your style and humor
Thanks and thank you ania for pointing me to this comment ...
My morningsnewspaper (Volkskrant) had a review on the frontpage (never happens)
Raving review ... wish you could read dutch ...
"Unforgetable"
"Outstanding from the first note"
"Canadian singer moves/touches from the start"

Heres the online version:
http://www.volkskrant.nl/kunst/article1 ... wegsmelten

"Thank you for standing there, in the cold ..." he said
I shooted back "Its hot like hell here" ... guess he didnt got that ... next time I will get one of those wristbands...
Begged the security guard on my knees, fukkin macho ... just one please pretty please ... and see all the thirsty people walking in and out during the songs!!! showing their bloody wrists ... grrrrr .... I could see the bag where he kept them in ... I anticipated a quick run ... but big muscles too Mr Macho ... would be something eh kicked out of a Lenny gig for misbehaving ... couldnt risk that ...
Maybe better be on time next time, huh?

Marco
2008 Amsterdam
2012 Ghent
mike35

Re: Amsterdam, Westerpark, July 12

Post by mike35 »

The Amsterdam show was due to commence at 7.30, Leonard and band did not come out until
7.48. Under the Concert Licence the gig had to finish by 10.30 approx. and the Park be cleared
by 11.00. As a result Leonard had to drop 2 songs from the list and also drop the recitation of A Thousand Kisses Deep.
In "Bird on the Wire" he added " he said to me, Leonard Cohen, don't ask for so much"
In "The Future" he changed the words on second time round to " and the white girls dancing",
which gave the Webb sisters the opportunity to do a little swinging jig.
Otherwise a great show and he got to see and nod to my banner again. Roll on Edinburgh.
mike35

Post by mike35 »

The Amsterdam show was due to commence at 7.30, Leonard and band did not come out until
7.48. Under the Concert Licence the gig had to finish by 10.30 approx. and the Park be cleared
by 11.00. As a result Leonard had to drop 2 songs from the list and also drop the recitation of A Thousand Kisses Deep.
In "Bird on the Wire" he added " he said to me, Leonard Cohen, don't ask for so much"
In "The Future" he changed the words on second time round to " and the white girls dancing",
which gave the Webb sisters the opportunity to do a little swinging jig.
Otherwise a great show and he got to see and nod to my banner again. Roll on Edinburgh
dmtindian

Post by dmtindian »

What can I say - the best concert I have ever been to in my life - how that man kept going for three hours I do not know - It is the first concert which has ever wore me out! We came over from Sheffield, England just to see Mr Cohen and what a place to see him in - also our first visit to Amsterdam. In 1991 I met my husband Bob who was a massive fan - I only knew "Suzanne" then - I fell in love with my husband and with Leonard Cohen listening to "Songs of Leonard Cohen" over and over again. His songs touch you in very deep places and make you an addict - it will take me a week to get back to reality. I wish I could meet the man and talk to him about his songs - I suppose Saturday night was the closest I will ever get but it will be enough - the memories will always be there. The musicians were sublime and Sharon Robinson and the Webb Sisters were impeccable - I will be hunting out their music and works as I am eager for more. What an absolutely superb weekend. Mr Cohen said how privileged he was to have so many people keeping his songs and music alive - I think we are the privileged ones to have such a great man sing to us. Watching you dance across stage it looks like you've got quite a few more years left in you yet Mr Cohen - please, please, please come back to us sometime soon.

Deb & Bob Taylor, Sheffield
Anne R

Post by Anne R »

Great night in Amsterdam indeed! Wonderful to meet so many old and new friends. Thanks for the meetup and the after show drinks with Wijbe & Willy, Henning & Elke, Andrew, Frauke, Fenna, Liesbeth, the French family, Maarten and many more. This was my fourth concert on this tour and each one have been the best; Manchester because it was indoor with a smaller audience and because it was such a long time since I last saw him, Oslo because it's where I live, Copenhagen for the most beautiful summer evening, Amsterdam for meeting a lot of friends. And Leonard and the band have been fantastic every time. Looking forward to the fall schedule.

Anne R/Anneri

My master took me travelling:
Manchester June 20
Oslo July 1
Copenhagen July 5
Amsterdam July 12
Last edited by Anne R on Mon Jul 14, 2008 11:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1976 Oslo | 1979 Oslo | 1985 Oslo x 2 | 1988 Oslo | 1993 Oslo | 2008 Manchester, Oslo, Copenhagen, Amsterdam, Helsinki | 2009 New York, Langesund, Barcelona | 2010 Oslo, Helsinki, Las Vegas x2 |2012 Helsinki, (Verona)| 2013 Oslo
Kaldenbach1953

Amsterdam taken by the Field Commander

Post by Kaldenbach1953 »

Field Commander Cohen takes Amsterdam

STAGGERING* was the apt word used by the music reporter of the Dutch quality newspaper NRC. He referred to the fabulous two and a half hour concert of Saturday night July 12, 2009 in Amsterdam by Leonard Cohen.
Singer-songwriter, poet, high priest, sage and philosopher Leonard Cohen stunned the large open-air Amsterdam audience by his presence, the baritone quality of his voice and the humble way in which he moved about, and gave credit to his band of 6 multi talented instrumental musicians and his three female singers who wove their tapestry of glory. The lead female chorister was Sharon Robinson, co-composer and also co-singer on the album “Twelve new songs”. And then there were the Webb sisters, Charley and Hattie, females of angelic appearance and heavenly voice. Being sisters, the effect of their close harmony carried ones mind away… it makes one think of the Beach Boys team, where family members with almost identical voice boxes also create a profound, almost eerie effect.
The opening song of the first set brought immediate emotion to the hushed public. I started to cry and told myself: Stop crying! Shut up and pay attention! And listen to Field Commander Cohen as he takes Amsterdam. The sun decided to do a 1970’s style Light Show as it neared the clouds near the horizon. At the very end 200 raindrops gently caressed our hair and skins.

Next to me were a young male + female couple from Istanbul, Turkey. They had flown in especially for this concert. About 25 years old they were and their faces lit up. Radiation. Smiles. Half dancing. Beautiful.

And now. Cold turkey? I have just seen the most holy music performance of my whole life. Where is the DVD? Where is the CD? Audio track? I desperately want to relive the sound track of any part of the World Tour. The bits and pieces now shown on Youtube have often been filmed by mobile phones and do not do justice to the event… sounding thin and tinny. Who has captured something worthwhile and is willing to share?

First Set

Dance Me To The End Of Love
The Future
Ain't No Cure For Love
Bird On The Wire
Everybody Knows
In My Secret Life
Who By Fire
Hey That's No Way To Say Goodbye
Anthem

Second Set

Tower Of Song
Suzanne
Gypsy Wife
Boogie Street
Hallelujah
Democracy
I'm Your Man
Take This Waltz

First Encore

So Long, Marianne
First We Take Manhattan

Second Encore

Sisters of Mercy
If It Be Your Will
Closing Time

Final Encore

I Tried to Leave You
Whither Thou Goest

Please send an email to kalden@xs4all.nl, mention Field Commander Cohen and I may share some of my photographs. I have no audio or video material at all. Poor me.

*(In Dutch: verbluffend, also to be translated as astounding, stunning, astonishing, amazing, making one speechless...). In English ‘staggering’ crops up when LC sings about the Sermon on the Mount.
Last edited by Kaldenbach1953 on Wed Jul 16, 2008 10:04 am, edited 2 times in total.
douglass

Post by douglass »

This was the most magical performance I have ever seen in my life. We flew from Newcastle UK to Amsterdam on the Friday with excitement rising. By 6.30pm we were hardly able to contain ourselves. At Westerpark the atmosphere was so relaxed - hardly any police, no ticket touts, etc - what a change from UK live performances. We stood in the middle near the stage and what unfolded in front of us was out of this world. LC was on stage singing better than listening to a CD of him. His voice never cracked - he was too me - simply perfect. He didn't take all the gratitude for himself and was kind and caring to other members of stage.

I have listened to the great man for 21 years when my sister and brother-in-law introduced me to him. I met my husband through him. Our moto is "Never trust anyone who doesn't like Leonard Cohen". It is true, all those who love him and his poetry and music are decent and kind people.

I felt peaceful at his concert and my jaws were aching from smiling for 3 hours but I also shed a tear.

I just wanted to stay in Amsterdam for ever and alas I am on a slow come down.

To see LC in Amsterdam will be one of the fondest memories I will hold.

Lisa
jarkko
Site Admin

Post by jarkko »

I have posted a selection of photos from Amsterdam sent in by Ben Kleyn at http://www.leonardcohenfiles.com/tour2008-15.html
1988, 1993: Helsinki||2008: Manchester|Oslo|London O2|Berlin|Helsinki|London RAH|| 2009: New York Beacon|Berlin|Venice|Barcelona|Las Vegas|San José||2010: Salzburg|Helsinki|Gent|Bratislava|Las Vegas|| 2012: Gent|Helsinki|Verona|| 2013: New York|Pula|Oslo|||
Stefan from A' dam

Post by Stefan from A' dam »

I always told my friends that I would go to Paris of London, or wherever to see Leonard Cohen, when he would be on the road again. I didn't expected it to happen again. But then he came my town!!!

Amazing concert, with a very fitting end. The song - don't know who's - bases on the words of Ruth 1:16: for where you go, I will go, and where you lodge, I will lodge. Your people shall be my people, and your God, my God.

Especially because Leonard Cohen earlier that night said to us: "Thank you so much for keeping my songs alive." These words made me realize that his songs where greater than the man, that his songs where already with us, and his songs will stay with, even when Leonard Cohen wouldn't be there. This man knows he 's only a mortal man. It was great to experience so many people being there that night - also keeping these songs alive. All knowing why.
richardrj

Post by richardrj »

mike35 wrote:As a result Leonard had to drop 2 songs from the list and also drop the recitation of A Thousand Kisses Deep.
Not at all. The setlist was the same as the previous night in Bruges and other nights as well. A Thousand Kisses Deep is not always done.
douglass

Post by douglass »

Stefan from A'dam - your words and thoughts made me cry as it summed up how we felt x
zahov

Post by zahov »

Here are some of the pictures I have taken at the concert. Unfortunately I took all of them from a long distance and there are peoples heads seen on all. Fortunately my camera is very good so the result is not so bad at all. Could be much better from a closer look.

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2 ... 1357063346

The show was fantastic. The greatest I have seen to now. I am big fan of Leonard since 1992 and never even imagined that I will be able to see him live at a concert. So great ...

Return to “The Summer Tour 2008”