CONCERT REPORT: Glastonbury (June 29)

Canada and Europe (May 11 - August 3, 2008). Concert reports, set lists, photos, media coverage, multimedia links, recollections...
margaret

Re: Glastonbury (June 29)

Post by margaret »

gingermop wrote:If it's any consolation, a mere 0.9 million people were watching the BBC2 coverage of Glastonbury at the time of Leonard's set. Less than 200,000 were watching the intermittent extra bits on BBC3/4. Everyone else (over 12 million people) were pretty much watching the European Cup Final, or The Royal/Taggart over on ITV (4.3 million), or Big Brother (another 4 mil).

So, even if it had been broadcast, the audience was a much depleted one!

G

But an awful lot of people would have been flicking around and setting machines to record if Leonard appeared. It may have been possible to look for a repeat showing on the digital channels after the football.

I still think it's a great opportunity missed. Leonard is not a household name as Neil Diamond is or Bob Dylan. All of us here have friends, neighbours and workmates who have never heard of him. An appearance on BBC TV could have brought him hundreds of thousands of new UK fans who would then start looking to buy his work. It goes without saying that those of us here are already committed and would buy any future dvd regardless of a TV broadcast. Those sales are a drop in the ocean compared with gaining a wider audience.

It's all very nice thinking Leonard is "exclusive", but greater financial success would be of greater benefit to him.

Margaret
Deena

Post by Deena »

Only just recovering from 5 days of Glastonbury culminating in an hour and a half of half of sheer bliss; Leonard was sublime. Here’s my report from the field.

I started making my way to the front of the stage about three hours prior to his set in order to get a good position at the front. (I’m very small). Made it eventually, despite a tall man refusing to let me stand in front of him (not a Lenny fan, needless to say, and he left after Goldfrapp). Neil Diamond and Goldfrapp were fascinating in their different ways but, for me, they were just the ‘amuse bouche’ before the banquet.

I was squashed up against the barrier at the front and could barely get my wine or my camera out of my bag. The long-stemmed rose I had brought with me and nurtured throughout the festival had begun to wither: no matter, the very front was still too far to possibly have thrown it onto the stage. As soon as the Goldfrapp crowd had left, leaving the front few rows consisting mainly of Leonard fans (and those with a real interest in seeing/hearing him perhaps for the first time) the vibe seemed to change: lots of eye contact, smiling and spontaneous conversations, and a heady feeling of anticipation, excitement.

I’m not going to even attempt to review the set; others have done so far more eloquently than I ever could. But, as with Manchester, I was lifted, transported; he sang to my heart. I thought he seemed more relaxed, looser, than at the 19/6 gig – more flexible with phrasing and so on – and I had the distinct impression that he was truly enjoying every moment; in between intense periods of appearing to be (or really being) totally inside the song and taking me inside with him, he looked really, really happy.

There was a loud-voiced, inebriated and excitable woman right behind me. She not only spoke (loudly) through some songs, but sang along – out of tune and even getting the words wrong. My usual reaction to this would be cold fury and outrage. But, you know, I made a decision quite early on to just forgive her, to let it go. She clearly loved him, and in the ‘spirit of Leonard’ I just couldn’t be angry. She didn’t take anything from the experience, only added to it (there’s a crack etc. – perhaps she was the ‘Lady Midnight’ caller of Hammersmith ’79). I tell you, this is very unlike me. I am a changed woman.

Finally, the inevitable battle between those leaving the arena and those desperate to get to the front for the Verve was a bit frightening (especially when you’re 4’ 10” and still floating around in a cloud of Cohen) so I owe deep gratitude to the kind woman who put her arm around me, laughingly said “come here, I’ll protect you” and somehow managed to sweep me out of the melee along with several thousand other ‘Angels of the Mud’. The withered long-stemmed rose I left in the Glastonbury grass I dedicate to her, to all the people that were so understandably disappointed not to be there and not to be able to see it broadcast, and to Field Commander Cohen himself – darling Leonard.
linkmartin

Post by linkmartin »

When Leonard appeared in Dublin in 1972 at the National Stadium, just before he came on stage,an official made an announcement to the effect that Mr Cohen had made a request that people refrain from taking photographs while he was performing, as it interfered with his concentration.
The non-filming at Glastonbury is consistent with this approach.
As a devoted follower of Leonard since 1967, I find it perfectly acceptable that he should want to give his full attention to the audience in fornt of him, who had payed a lot of money and - in many cases -travelled a long distance to see him.
I too, was disappointed not to see him on TV, but it's no complaint you hear tonight...
seanmiller

Post by seanmiller »

Pariah wrote: The highlight of the festival for me.
I guess we're fans now.
I can't disagree with any of that... every time I visit a Festival I hope to be blown away... sometimes it happens, sometimes it does not... In 1991 there was no Glastonbury so I went to Reading and was treated to Nick Cave (circa. "The Good Son")... it was through Nick Cave's music that I discovered Leonard Cohen but I didn't know what to expect on Sunday and have to admit that as he'd not toured for a while I expected to be underwhelmed.

As you've no doubt gathered by now I was not.

Underwhelmed was left to The Verve, but they've got another 30 years or more to practice until they're as good as LC :-)

Sean
Born With The Gift Of A G

Post by Born With The Gift Of A G »

"Little lady.....I AM Kris Kristofferson....."
London: 10 & 11 May 1993; Manchester: 17, 18, 19 & 20 June 2008; Vienna: 25 September 2008; London: 17 November 2008; Paris: 26 November 2008; Manchester: 30 November 2008; Liverpool: 14 July 2009; Paris: 28 September 2012; Manchester: 31 August 2013; Leeds: 7 September 2013.
seanmiller

Post by seanmiller »

Deena wrote:The withered long-stemmed rose I left in the Glastonbury grass I dedicate to her, to all the people that were so understandably disappointed not to be there and not to be able to see it broadcast, and to Field Commander Cohen himself – darling Leonard.
Can I admit that post made me cry?

Thank you - made my day... just been spending some time with the last few Festival stragglers... tomorrow or the day after they'll be gone and Shepton Mallet will return to mundane normality :-)

Sean
thethirdman

Post by thethirdman »

Jojio wrote:
thethirdman wrote:i was at the show in Manchester on the 18th and a few rows from the front at Glastonbury, and as good as the Manchester show was glasto was simply amazing!so obviously i was as disappointed as every one else to get back to my sky+ and see that he wasn't recorded, i still just put it down to two things either: he is bringing a dvd out and doesn't want to hurt the sales, cynical maybe but hey capitalism won communism lost or he wasn't sure how he would be received. i for one was shocked that he was on the pyramid stage given that wonderful as we all think he is, he is a bit like Marmite.
fortunately for all who were lucky enough to be there the performance was great and so long Marianne and hallelujah when everyone was singing along (even a girl on her mothers back who can only have been 3-5 years old) was definitely the highlight of a truly wonderful 5 days for me!

ps i went to see dylan at the m.e.n arena and he didn't even have screens and his own gig, which by the way is the worst concert i have ever been too, his voice is awful now, he was monumentally arrogant {didn't say a word to us other than saying the names of his band) and at £40-50 each for a ticket i was disgusted!
Dylan's voice has deteriorated in recent years but he has always said that he would want to perform like an old blues artist when he got older and the fact that he includes a lot of blues structured songs in his sets suggests he's doing just that. However, how can somebody who "didn't say a word" be monumentally arrogant? He's there to perform his songs, not to meet your expectations of what an "entertainer" should be doing. If you want that, go and see Neil Diamond.
for people to spend their hard earned money on concert tickets and for the performer/band to not once say: hello, nice to be here, its a pleasure to play for you, hope to see you again sometime or even just thank you after applause for a song is completely unacceptable!that's just basic common courtesy and the least an audience who were by no means disrespectful deserved.

as for his "old blues artist voice" the comedian Dave Spikey, who was at the same concert as me said that he sounded like "a cross between R2D2 and Davros!
honeyrose

Post by honeyrose »

MandyB wrote
I did see Leonard Cohen at Manchester Opera House on 20th June, his last date there. Everyone was taking photos and videos that night, no-one stepped in to stop us
- Well maybe concert goers that night were more fortunate than earlier in the week as I was at the first Manchester show on 17th June and there was an pa announcement before the start saying use of digital phones and cameras was banned. And during the show I saw Opera House staff approach several people and tell them to stop using their digital phones to photograph Leonard on stage.

Honeyrose
seanmiller

Post by seanmiller »

You had the benefit of standing on dry ground, presumably indoors... standing in sticky mud with the same arrogance from Dylan put me off the man for life.

Sean
annmarie

Post by annmarie »

seanmiller wrote:Not quite sure why so many reviewers seem to have been astounded by LC changing "here" to "Glastonbury" that they feel they have to mention it - there were so many other genius moments in the night... now if he'd actually tweaked "Suzanne" something like this (entirely tongue-in-cheek, btw!! please don't flame me for wrecking a glorious song, lol!) that'd be something...

"Suzanne takes you down to her wagon near the beer tent
You can hear the Glade a rockin
You can spend the night beside her
And you know that she's half crazy
But that's why you want to be there
And she feeds you tofu patties
That came from the lower Green Fields
And just when you mean to tell her
That you have no love to give her
Then she gets you on the mushrooms
And she lets the rain give answer
That you've always been her lover
And you want to travel with her
And you want to travel blind
And you're sure that blind you will be
For she's gonna get you stoned out of your mind"

Sean, I think your "alternative" Suzanne is brilliant! In fact I'd imagine the Great Man himself would be impressed!
We seem to share the same eclectic taste in music. At least i presume what you said about the pogues was complimentary. Shur, Shane would have appeared "tanked up" anyway. I love the Pogues and Shane, in a totally different way to LC. My reverence for LC has endured for close on 40 years.
BTW, I think the drunken image of Shane is just that, an image he's created. I'm old enough to remember the Dubliners in their hayday, and they also created the image to great effect, while they were in fact mostly sober!

;-)

Sorry Mr Cohen... couldn't resist ;-)

Sean
annmarie

Post by annmarie »

Thanks to everyone who put pics from Glastonbury on Youtube. I was also disappointed the BBC didn't film him, but if it was his wish............okay!
Is it my imagination or did he seem a lot happier in Dublin and Manchester??? :D
annmarie

Post by annmarie »

[quote="linkmartin"]When Leonard appeared in Dublin in 1972 at the National Stadium, just before he came on stage,an official made an announcement to the effect that Mr Cohen had made a request that people refrain from taking photographs while he was performing, as it interfered with his concentration.

I was also at the National Stadium way back when. I don't remember being told not to photograph etc, but one thing stands out from that night. Most of what should have been a magical night was ruined by an idiot beside me who wouldn't stop singing (badly) along with each song. It took much hassle and complaining before he was thrown out, but he ruined the night. Thankfully we sat beside people who listened reverently all night in Kilmainham this year! :D
Lorelei

Post by Lorelei »

I have to agree with thethirdman re Dylan. I saw him a few years ago at the NEC, Birmingham. It was the most boring concert I have ever been to (apologies to any Dylan fans)...I think I nearly fell asleep. He said nothing at all to the audience...not hello, thank-you, nice to be here. He could have been playing in his front room.

It's not that I don't like Dylan's songs, I do. I have some of his albums, but last year I bought Bryan Ferry's Dylanesque album and I'd far rather listen Mr Ferry's versions than Dylan's.

As to taking photos, I was up in the gallery at Manchester on the 18th and was able to take photos with no problem at all. I didn't use a flash and my photos came out fine. There were plenty of others around me using mobile phones and cameras with and without flashes. I didn't see anyone being asked to stop.
bowieben

Post by bowieben »

Actually, on the last night at Manchester, the staff were going crazy trying to stop people taking photographs. For the first half, everyone was taking photographs, myself included, without any problems at all. Then Leonard went off for the 1st break, and when he came back on, the staff were running up and down the aisles shining torches in peoples faces if they pulled out a camera and telling them to put them away. I got the distinct impression he'd requested for them to put a stop to people taking photographs.

So it makes sense that he requested not to be filmed at Glastonbury.

Ben
confetti

Post by confetti »

One reason i am glad that i saw Leonard outside, the flash cameras were not so obvious. I don't mind people taking photos I can understand they want to have a memory, but flash cameras affect me in the same as strobe lighting does, in that, I feel really sick and have to put my head down. I missed a good 20 minutes of Kris Kristofferson in Belfast because of 3 women taking photos around me even though being asked to stop. I can imagine if you are performing it is even more irritating.
"I needed so much, to have nothing to touch - I've always been greedy that way"

Return to “The Summer Tour 2008”