CONCERT REPORT: Glastonbury (June 29)

Canada and Europe (May 11 - August 3, 2008). Concert reports, set lists, photos, media coverage, multimedia links, recollections...
Robin

Re: Glastonbury (June 29)

Post by Robin »

Well, I'm just back from Glastonbury, and I was very surprised that the BBC cameras were inactive. It's pretty criminal really as the show was utterly amazing and would have worked great on television. I saw the first and third nights in Manchester and this was for me a better performance (or anyway more enjoyable because of the huge scale of the setting) despite being truncated to 95 minutes. We got down the front centre after a huge effort. It was really very crushed down there!! Hallelujah and So Long Marianne were the highlights, as the entire audience (70-80 thousand people?) were singing every word. The performance of Hallelujah was the single most emotional experience I have ever had at a concert. Tears were streaming down my face. The set was well edited for a festival, although Anthem was a slightly downbeat song to end on I thought. Leonard began Hey That's No Way To Say Goodbye with his capo on the wrong fret so had to restart it. Didn't matter a jot of course as Leonard's humility and charm swept the audience before him. The neutrals were well impressed. Sorry you didn't see it on TV :cry:
seanmiller

Post by seanmiller »

The cameras weren't inactive, as far as I am aware, because surely it's the BBC's cameras which provide the images to the large screens? So the gig may well have been taped, it's simply that it wasn't broadcast.

"Leonard Cohen Live at Glastonbury" DVD on the way?

Sean
AngloSaxon

Post by AngloSaxon »

What a great review by Adam Horovitz, I wish I could write like that.
Having read all the well put comments, I still can't help thinking that it was a bit short sighted.
If it was Leonards decision, for whatever reason, then so be it.
However it would have been nice for my mates to see what I've been making all the fuss about. It might have even stopped them taking the p*ss when they found out that I'd been to three of the Manchester concerts at £80 a time.
I wonder what the band members think about it , I would think the Webb sisters would have liked the exposure. I certainly would like to see them exposed more..........sorry :oops:
Last edited by AngloSaxon on Tue Jul 01, 2008 3:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Manchester 17th, 18th, 19th June 2008
confetti

Post by confetti »

AngloSaxon wrote:
I wonder what the band members think about it , I would think the Webb sisters would have liked the exposure. I certainly would like to see them exposed more..........sorry :oops:
you truly are an anglo saxon aren't you :lol: :lol:
"I needed so much, to have nothing to touch - I've always been greedy that way"
Unspoken Words

Post by Unspoken Words »

Respect to Leonard if it was his choice not to be recorded or broadcast.

I have 100% faith in his humility and total respect for and trust of LC. He has provided such joy through his music and poetry and by touring again.

If he decided not to be recorded that is the right decision as far as I am concerned with no questioning of this necessary.
Robin

Post by Robin »

The two BBC boom cameras were all inactive and resting inert below the front of the stage. Nor were there any cameramen on stage. There is also a large rostrum camera immediately in front of the stage, unmanned during Leonard's set. The Glastonbury in-house cameras (based on the sound tower) were in operation and providing the feed to the large screens. There was also a single hand held camera in the photographer pit providing images of the crowd. I have no idea if there is a line recording of the in-house video feed; or the audio for that matter. In 1998, I believe that Bob Dylan would not even let the in-house cameras record, and the screens were blank.

The set-list as reported in NME and elsewhere is correct by the way. The audience footage on You-Tube is very enjoyable quality. Thanks to the lonesome hero who did that.
honeyrose

Post by honeyrose »

anyone know why Dylan refused to let the cameras in at Glastonbury? if the old curmudgeon gave a reason that is......
seanmiller

Post by seanmiller »

Dunno, all I can remember is that Dylan was a grumpy old soul and that year was VERY sticky mud... he probably got out of the wrong side of the bed... I was decidedly pissed off at having taken about an hour to walk from the Green Fields to above the Pyramid to find (each footstep picking up more and more mud of dubious composition!!) that I couldn't even see Bob's image, just a matchstick man singing in weird high-pitched tones somewhere on a distant stage.

Leonard was anything but grumpy... quite a different scenario.

Sean
seanmiller

Post by seanmiller »

Robin wrote:The two BBC boom cameras were all inactive and resting inert below the front of the stage. Nor were there any cameramen on stage. There is also a large rostrum camera immediately in front of the stage, unmanned during Leonard's set. The Glastonbury in-house cameras (based on the sound tower) were in operation and providing the feed to the large screens. There was also a single hand held camera in the photographer pit providing images of the crowd. I have no idea if there is a line recording of the in-house video feed; or the audio for that matter.
It amazes me the attention to detail others have when at these things - I have to admit I didn't even realise the BBC hadn't broadcast it until I got up this morning and was enthusing to folks locally who hadn't made it to the Festival and they all said "didn't see it, sorry"... then looked for it on the BBC website and discovered it hadn't been recorded (or at least broadcast)...

Sean
rzappa

Post by rzappa »

I find it hard to believe the hostility on here because Leonard's set wasn't broadcast.

I'm with the people who point out that we don't know the reason for this.
I'm disappointed, but it doesn't change my view of Leonard one jot.
I've been a fan for the past 35 (or so) years .
He's not the first artist who's asked for his set not to be broadcast & I'm sure he won't be the last.

I watched large chunks of Glastonbury on TV (Buddy Guy, Joan Armatrading, Elbow, Pigeon Detectives, Goldfrapp, Scouting for Girls, Amy Winehouse, etc..) some were great & some suffered from poor quality recording despite apparently good sets. It's hard to control the quality of an outside concert - specially if the weather is uncertain.

I'd like to see the DVD compiled from the whole tour where artistic control lets them choose the representations that they feel have been best captured rather than a one-off set which may or may not show the artist in a way that he feels comfortable being represented.

If I'm going to get upset about the BBC / Leonard Cohen relationship for anything it'll be the fact the the programme 'Songs From a Life' isn't available on DVD - long after someone pinched my video copy :cry:
confetti

Post by confetti »

do you know what? I have just realised that Leonard not being on tv makes the night I saw him even more special because i was there and felt the power. You just don't get that power through the small screen.
Yes it is upsetting for anyone that hasn't managed to get a ticket to any of the shows, but hopefully as rzappa says there will be a well crafted dvd out soon for all of us who want to relive it or see it for the first time. Anyway, I still love him, his poetry and his voice - one disappointment isn't going to change the lifetime of happiness and peace that I have gotten from his music.
"I needed so much, to have nothing to touch - I've always been greedy that way"
terry

Post by terry »

YOU TUBE Glastonbury is a poor excuse for what Len deserves BBC2 has the history to tell his epic journey in music .Glastonbury his television stage for the people who can't get to see him live,a gift to his fans an oppertunity to say I'm your man. be sky +d forever shamefully missed ,he will never be on my sky+ Glastonbury hall of fame .His concerts are sold out apart from the auctioning of the best tickets .I will always be a fan but Glastonbury was a complete cock up
sirius

Post by sirius »

Leonard Cohen Praises Glastonbury Festival's 'Angels Of The Mud'
During magic show...

by Jason Gregory
30 June 2008
Photo by: WENN

Veteran performer Leonard Cohen praised the “angels born of the mud” during his performance a the Glastonbury Festival yesterday

(June 29th).

http://www.gigwise.com/article?id=44252 ... 10#gallery

Cohen's set on the Pyramid Stage was one of the highlights of the final day of the festival and comprised of a majority of his classic hits, including 'So Long, Marianne' and 'Suzanne'.

But it was Cohen's performance of 'Hallelujah' that proved to be the unforgettable moment for many festivalgoers.

The singer changed the songs lyrics as the sun set over Worthy Farm, singing:"I told the truth, I didn't come to Glastonbury to fool you" instead of “I told the truth, I didn't come here to fool you"

see below for some wonderful photographs
Attachments
l cohenglasto08_4.jpg
l cohenglasto08_4.jpg (16.76 KiB) Viewed 4308 times
l cohenglasto08_10.jpg
l cohenglasto08_10.jpg (16.6 KiB) Viewed 4310 times
L cohenglasto08_1.jpg
L cohenglasto08_1.jpg (9.38 KiB) Viewed 4304 times
We are so small between the stars, so large against the sky
ben9

Post by ben9 »

It's four in the morning, the last days of june
I'm rushing home to catch just one tune
Football was poor but i like where i'm going
Back to my room to see Leonard Cohen

I'd called at the store to get some beer in
But when i switched on you were nowhere to be seen
I scoured every channel for a glimpse of your fame
But all that came forth was "that's not my name"
The singer was wild and the drum was so strong
I'm going to follow Ting Tings from now on

And if you ever come by here
on stage or tv
then i'll be somewhere sleeping
unless the tickets are free

To an old friend of mine
Sincerely, Ben9
seanmiller

Post by seanmiller »

terry wrote:YOU TUBE Glastonbury is a poor excuse for what Len deserves BBC2 has the history to tell his epic journey in music .Glastonbury his television stage for the people who can't get to see him live,a gift to his fans an oppertunity to say I'm your man. be sky +d forever shamefully missed ,he will never be on my sky+ Glastonbury hall of fame .His concerts are sold out apart from the auctioning of the best tickets .I will always be a fan but Glastonbury was a complete cock up
Big Chill Festival isn't sold out. Only £65 for a day ticket, I think...

Sean

Return to “The Summer Tour 2008”