CONCERT REPORT: Charlottetown, PE (May 18)

Canada and Europe (May 11 - August 3, 2008). Concert reports, set lists, photos, media coverage, multimedia links, recollections...
chrispycrunch007

Re: Charlottetown (May 18)

Post by chrispycrunch007 »

Dick wrote:Thanks for the great reports and pics... Mirka and Chris.

Did you have any special permissions for camera Chris?
Understand how wonderful that thrill was for you Mirka. Congrats.

Dick
The camera work was tricky...no permission and the ushers were constantly creeping along the aisles to tell people no pics....they never caught me but we were 2nd row centre and with no centre aisle it was difficult for them to get to me....my camera is somewhat bulky so it was risky....but I am glad I took the chance....lol

one way to get some pics was to wait until a standing ovation (there were several) and just stand and click away as noone was watching at that time....I actually taped the song "Ring the bells" holding the camera at my shoulder to conceal it, but couldn't see the viewfinder so all I got was the audio showing the backdrop curtains as I didn't have it aimed right.... it was too risky to hold it up to get the framing right....oh well.........seems some folks are able to get some pretty good pics in spite of the ushers....I can understand why they wouldn't want flash photography (I would never use it) as it is very disruptive....I suppose once you say it's alright to take pics then you know the flashes will be going off all the time....part of crowd control and to try and give the audience the best experience possible....I respect that..specially with an artist of Leonards stature.....
lightning

Post by lightning »

I'm glad to see those lovely pictures and glad you took the chance. For those of us who love photography, part of our enjoyment of a concert is to take pictures, and to be told "no photos" is really frustrating and seems unfair, especially if we do not use flash.
I have endured the indignity of having my camera temporarily confiscated (while it was off , no less,) being asked for $250 to photograph at a club, and having someone actually block my camera with his behind after I was invited by someone else to photograph.
Elvis, the king, thought it was part of his "job" to give photographs and autographs to his fans and was always gracious and generous with them. Leonard would probably be the same.
Photography is an art form and an important means of documenting history and live performance , and it should not be obstructed by ushers, house rules and the likes.
Mackla

Post by Mackla »

One gets better pictures with the flash off, anyway, letting the stage lighting illuminate it all.

I got some brilliant pics at a recent Frank Black concert; the band were actually inviting fans to submit pics to document the tour.

And yeah, I'll second all those posts above of congratulations, those pictures are lovely and really give a sense of being at the show.
lightning

Post by lightning »

This some communication from YouTuber who posted the vids from the first concert. Hopefully it will provide some tips and inspiration for others:

"I bought my camera with the specific intent of sneaking it into shows. It is a Casio Exilim with 3x optimal zoom.

It is such a thin camera that i actually sneak it in by placing it in the same pants pocket as my wallet. It's been snuck in to several shows now without issue.

As for the ushers -- I was very persistent. I was asked to stop recording on four separate occasions, finally told that I would be asked to leave if caught again. Then I stopped.

I've posted additional videos, including a clip of I'm your man which is exclusively available on my website, ransomnotemusic.com at

http://www.ransomnotemusic.com/view-show.aspx?id=1478

I hope you'll check out the site!"
mirka

Post by mirka »

mnkyface wrote: Mirka, I love how you just slip this in casually...lol...HE THANKED YOU BY NAME AT THE ENCORE??? *dead*
Actually I was equally thrilled having a chance to chat with one of his band members 10 minutes before the show, when I run into him at the back stage doors trying to figure out how to get roses to LC. I don't know about other members of his band, this particular person was as humble as LC, and thanked for all the praising words I had for him.
I think another secret of really great artists is to know how to tap into this exchange of energy going between people in higher state of consciousness, of course the trick is first to put the audience in this state :) , and then to tune into it.

It was a magic journey for me - I flew thousands miles to stay at Grafton Street, see a legend alive, and pay a visit to Ann of Green Gables.

A for the roses - I hope LC really likes them .... :)
Last edited by mirka on Tue May 27, 2008 12:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
/Warsaw March 22 1985 / Halifax May 16 /Charlottetown May 18 / Dublin June 15 / Vienna Sept 24 2008/
Oakland April 13, 14, 15, San Jose Nov 13 2009/
Las Vegas Dec 11 2010/ Oakland March 2 2013/
Tri-me

Post by Tri-me »

Great photos crispycrunch. The album cover photo would make a great tattoo
Cheers & DLight
Tri-me (tree-mite) Sheldrön
"Doorhinge rhymes with orange" Leonard Cohen
treyia

Post by treyia »

The roses were lovely Mirka, I had a nice view of them :)
The CD made it to his people, and as one of them told me, if it was handed to his people it was given to him.
So, supposedly Leonard has my CD right now :shock:
That's all I know, he was snuck away very quickly.
We went out to the backstage door as soon as the show was over but we were too late to catch a glimpse.
I should be happy anyhow: I got a few looks from him since I was in the first row, and my boyfriend was even a bit giddy at having him stare at him so intently.
When I first told my man about the show coming here, his immediate reaction was, "so we're through, then?"
He's been pretty understanding about my devotion to LC and last night he got to see what all the fuss is about, so to speak.

All in all it was an amazing show/night/experience.
It was so moving when he came out onto the stage, I thought I'd never be in the same province as him, let alone the same room.
A lady from his team gave me and my fellow chocolates from backstage, and we felt like she had handed us gold.
The fellow I left the CD with initially said, maybe you'll hear from him.
I think I'd die if he contacted me.

Speaking of which, my ever so funny friend called me yesterday morning to say he was sitting with Leonard right then and that he was loading in and would be pleased to meet with me. He even had someone with a deep voice play the part of LC. Needless to say I am slightly miffed at him for making my heart break at it not being true. It was even more believable because of who my friend is, he's pretty connected in the arts scene, so it wouldn't have surprised me.
Yeah, so I might have a hard time believing it was even him. (Not that I think he will, but I don't know, you have to have a dream, right? )

Oh, and NewZealander: I'm working on it. :) I'd LOVE to get down there. Your country is beautiful, and all the people I've met from there have been wonderful.
My father is a powerlifter and there is a world championship for bench pressing coming up next year and if I can swing it, it would be amazing to go.
I <3 Leonard this much:
http://www.myspace.com/nikkiemusic
(please note the song on there dedicated to him, in which I propose :D )
mnkyface

Post by mnkyface »

treyia wrote:When I first told my man about the show coming here, his immediate reaction was, "so we're through, then?"
hahaha!
treyia wrote:my ever so funny friend called me yesterday morning to say he was sitting with Leonard right then and that he was loading in and would be pleased to meet with me. He even had someone with a deep voice play the part of LC.
This is the meanest thing I have ever heard! I hope you are plotting some good revenge on him. :lol:
"In this world of shallow, he is the abyss."~ YouTube commenter greg450318

Post by treyia »

He knows, too.
I really wasn't expecting that he would do that.
We used to live together, he was my man for a long time, and totally knew better.
I have no idea what I could possibly do to get him back that would be that mean.
I mean I can think of a few things, but I would never break his heart like that.

Oh, and the pictures are making me really happy!
I <3 Leonard this much:
http://www.myspace.com/nikkiemusic
(please note the song on there dedicated to him, in which I propose :D )
mirka

Post by mirka »

treyia wrote:So, supposedly Leonard has my CD right now :shock:
You might be moving to Montreal then ? let us know when :lol:
/Warsaw March 22 1985 / Halifax May 16 /Charlottetown May 18 / Dublin June 15 / Vienna Sept 24 2008/
Oakland April 13, 14, 15, San Jose Nov 13 2009/
Las Vegas Dec 11 2010/ Oakland March 2 2013/
HPorter

Post by HPorter »

Hi Mirka, my wife and I saw you at the show with the roses.....and heard the acknowledgement from LC....my wife also flew in from California for the show......I drove up from Orono, Me.,
we are currently in Rustico and met Katherine at the Rustico Bay Wool Sweater Company ........the Man and the show are treasures.....wonderful evening......enjoy Dublin, Henry Porter
NickM

Post by NickM »

Here is the set list for the Charlottetown show. As others have already said it was awesome, and many thanks for the pictures. It was truly a privilege being able to attend. Highlights were too numerous and many - simply an unforgettable evening, from start to finish.

NickM

Set List - May 18, 2008
Charlottetown, Confederation Centre of the Arts

First Set

Dance Me To The End Of Love
The Future
Ain't No Cure For Love
Bird On The Wire
Everybody Knows
In My Secret Life
Who By Fire
Anthem

Second Set

Tower Of Song
Suzanne
Gypsy Wife
Boogie Street
Hallelujah
Democracy
I'm Your Man
A Thousand Kisses Deep (recital)
Take This Waltz

First Encore

Heart With No Companion
So Long, Marianne
First We Take Manhattan

Second Encore

That Don't Make It Junk
Closing Time

Final Encore

I Tried to Leave You
friscogrl

Post by friscogrl »

Chris, great pictures! You got some wonderful shots of leonard and his band. I just watched the slide show and really enjoyed it. I will be seeing him in Toronto and can't wait!
2008 Toronto June 6/ 2009 New York Feb 19 Oakland April 13 14 Coachella April 17 Ottawa May 25 26 Barcelona Sept 21 Las Vegas 11/12 San Jose 11/13
2010 Malmo Aug 4 Gothenburg Aug 12 Las Vegas Dec 10 & 11
2012 Verona 9/24 San Jose 11/7. Montreal 11/28 11/29/ 2013 Oakland 3/2 NYC 4/6
Hamilton 4/9
MarieM

Post by MarieM »

NickM, thanks much for the set list.
Marie
Speaking Cohen
chrispycrunch007

Post by chrispycrunch007 »

friscogrl wrote:Chris, great pictures! You got some wonderful shots of leonard and his band. I just watched the slide show and really enjoyed it. I will be seeing him in Toronto and can't wait!
Glad you enjoyed them....the website picked a few to put up as part of an article on the band members....it is easy to get great pics when you are shooting such a charming and magnetic gentleman...the whole experience has been a thrill!!

check out the article and pics at:
http://www.leonardcohenfiles.com/tour2008-5.html
http://www.leonardcohenfiles.com/tour2008-6.html

Return to “The Summer Tour 2008”