Have to know... right?

Ask and answer questions about Leonard Cohen, his work, this forum and the websites!
butchie10

Have to know... right?

Post by butchie10 »

Does anyone know anything about the picture on the back of Songs Of Leonard Cohen? I belive it is a saint, or at least a religious picture, and I was told this is where to ask. Anything verifiable would be greatly apreciated.
jarkko
Site Admin

Post by jarkko »

It's said to be a painting of Joan of Arc. However, the info is
a bit contradictory because I have a postcard with the same
picture, and the text on the back says it's St Bernadette.
The same picture has been used on the US cover of the
tribute album "Tower of Song" (see below). I will ask
Leonard for more information.

Last edited by jarkko on Sat Jul 19, 2003 9:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jarkko
Site Admin

Post by jarkko »

The following message from Leonard gives us the definite answer
to this very interesting question:

"I found Her in a botanica, a mexican herbal magic store near the Chelsea
Hotel in 1965, the Lonely Soul or the Solitary Soul. I had never seen Her
image before. This one was printed in Mexico, and I used it on the back
of my first album. The owner of the store told me that it depicted the
Spirit breaking the chains Material World. My room at the Chelsea was
filled with items from his store, purifying oils, voodoo candles, love
potions, holy pictures of the saints by great unknown Artists, such as the
Anima Sola."

Warm-hearted thanks to Leonard for explaining the mystery to us! This
also means that the lady in the flames is neither Joan nor Bernadette,
but a nameless symbol painted by an unknown artist.

Leonard also quoted the following text from
http://www.luckymojo.com/animasola.html

"The Anima Sola or Lonely Soul is a Catholic depiction of a suffering
person -- almost always a woman -- in chains amidst the barred prison
doors and flames of Purgatory, the place where sinners go while awaiting
final judgement. Because the woman looks penitential and reverent, and
her chains are broken, the image sends an ambiguous message of
suffering and release from suffering. Due to this ambiguity, the Anima
Sola may be prayed to for blessings and intercession in hastening the
conclusion of a purgatorial sentence meted out to a relative or loved one
who died while in sin -- or she can be implored for aid in prayers or
spells designed to send an enemy or ex-lover to either a literal or a
figurative Purgatory of suffering."
Last edited by jarkko on Sun Jul 20, 2003 7:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Paula

Post by Paula »

Well Butchie10 you can't get it more verified than from the horses mouth.

I looked on the site it has Irish influence with the shamrock but can I point out a glaring error the horse shoe is UPSIDE DOWN the luck will run out.

Nice to get Leonard's input on something that only he can answer.
Coco

Post by Coco »

Hi Leonard,

How thrilling to know that you read the message board. :) I am beginning to regret having chosen a duck as my avatar. :) Who are your favorite posters? :)
Iubita

Post by Iubita »

thank you, Jarkko, for giving us this opportunity to get the answer coming from Leonard...and when I've read His words, the whole his explanation I've felt so close to His Soul again...as it's happened so many times listening His songs...thank you, Leonard...you know, how much we love you...

Iubita
Love, Light
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Don't worry, Coco :wink: ........I'm sure Leonard likes ducklings [having considered himself a bit of an ugly one himself a time or two, he may even have an affinity for them].

However, even though I didn't notice it the first time of reading Jarkko's response here [and thank you for deleting mine, Jarkko :D ], it represents what I feel anyway, and since I saw his post was Edited 1 time, I reread and think it may have been added....Jarkko said, "I will ask Leonard......." I see that as a case of cut-and-paste Butchie10's question, email Leonard, and then post Leonard's response.

Meanwhile [for me], what a great, Sixties-style room he had in the Chelsea :D ......and a very interesting insight into one of the dynamics operative in Catholicism ~ "...or she can be implored for aid in prayers or spells designed to send an enemy or ex-lover to either a literal or a figurative Purgatory of suffering." That's not meaning for this thread to turn in the direction of a [religious] war, but what an interesting thing to "pray" for ~ something more commonly associated with black magic.

I'm very pleased [and thank you, Jarkko, and at minimum, thank you, Leonard, by proxy] that Leonard was willing to give such substantive [including personal details] clarification to Butchie's question :D .

~ Elizabeth
Linda

Post by Linda »

Nice to know the facts, I would have bet on Joan of Arc. Interesting to know from whence it came and how LC acquire it. Thanks
Linda
Pp.

Post by Pp. »

Linguistically "Anima Sola" is pure, plain Latin with the meaning yet said of "Lonely Soul" but this is logical since Latin was the oficial language of Catholicism till XXth Century (The prohibition of the Mass in local languages was revoked when I was a child). There is an island too in The Philippines named "Anima Sola" so we can affirm that the Spanish conquerors were the people that spread the image (never a "real" saint) of the Anima Sola around the world.
Tchocolatl

Demons and Saints

Post by Tchocolatl »

When I read the question of Butchie Ten, I was sure he was talking about the photo of Leonard on the album Songs of Leonard Cohen 1967/1968. I found it amusing and I laughted.

It turned out to be a much more interesting and fascinating subject. However, the answer could be (almost) true for both images to me.

Lizzy, no war, but in many cultures where religion and magic (black or white) are the same and one thing when Catholicism arrived they were just too happy to have new demons and angels to add to or mix with their old chart of gods and godesses.

Coco you are so cute in many ways, don't worry, you look like a real Gabrielle Chanel Chick.
Last edited by Tchocolatl on Mon Jul 21, 2003 5:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
"He can love the shape of human beings, the fine and twisted shapes of the heart. It is good to have among us such men, such balancing monsters of love."

Leonard Cohen
Beautiful Losers
Dem

Post by Dem »

Well, for me the most intersting part in Leonard's answer is this"
"My room at the Chelsea was filled with items from his store, purifying oils, voodoo candles, love potions, holy pictures of the saints by great unknown Artists, such as the Anima Sola."

Ok the rest.
But "love potions"???? He he

Demetris
Dem

Post by Dem »

And dear Elizabeth you wrote something about "...Sixties-style room he had ...etc".

Can you please tell me more about that "Sixties-style" and what it had to do with love potions?

Demetris
butchie10

Post by butchie10 »

Actually, the reason I (as a girl) asked is because I am in the middle of getting the Anima Sola tattooed on the whole of my back, along with a banner held by two sparrows that reads: 'I have tried in my way to be free.' Just wanted the backstory included. Maybe when it's done I'll post a photo...
margaret

Post by margaret »

rather you than me butchie, I had a small henna tattoo once in India but I don't think I could contemplate a real one, and certainly not such a big one! look forward to seeing the photo.
Moonlight

Post by Moonlight »

Hello, Coco

I can't help but think LC must read this message board. I know that if there was a site devoted to me and my life .... I would not be able to resist reading what people were thinking and saying about me...no matter how busy or saintly I was... :)

Return to “Comments & Questions”