Who is travelling the longest?

Canada and Europe (May 11 - August 3, 2008). Concert reports, set lists, photos, media coverage, multimedia links, recollections...
Polagirl

Re: Who is travelling the longest?

Post by Polagirl »

Yes I meant the furthest and yes Leonard is travelling the longest and furthest and yes he deserves our worship. Hope to see some fans in Manchester (staying at the Walkabout- and no I didn't know it was Australian themed till after I booked despite its name)
Harryoe

Seattle to Copenhagen

Post by Harryoe »

I am in Seattle, and just bought a ticket for Copenhagen. Not taking any chances on the US tour, and besides would love to visit Copenhagen.

(Off topic) I also bought tickets to two Neil Young concerts in Germany the week following... Hoping he will reunite Crazy Horse.
It might be possible to line up with Dylan's tour also, Spain and Portugal sound nice. Just got back from seeing Neil Young in London and visiting family in Israel... running out of blank pages in the passport!

HarryO
emmanaomi

Post by emmanaomi »

I'll see you in Manchester Polagirl! Lets have a drink at walkabout.
Darling

Post by Darling »

bigdee wrote:
PS: Anyone from up in the Montreal area have any suggestions on where to stay for the shows? I've never been to Canada (aside for one night spent at Niagra Falls many years ago) so don't really have any idea what hotel rates are up there and what would be considered a reasonable rate for a room. I also heard Montreal can be a difficult city to get around in for someone who can't speak French. A friend of mine worked up there years ago (late 60's or early 70's) and said at that time there was a lot of resentment between the French and English speaking people in the city. He said this was around the time Quebec was talking about breaking away from Canada and they made French their offical first language. He said people from both sides would go around with paint cans and paint out the street signs if they were in the language they were against and it made getting around the city almost impossible. He also said if you were an American and asked for help most people would do everything they could to not help and in most cases would send you the wrong way. But like he said that was many years ago and I don't know anyone else who has been there so naturally I'm wondering if it is like that up there now? Any thoughts from anyone familar with the area would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Dave
There are a couple of threads with info about Montreal: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=10666
viewtopic.php?f=26&t=10665
Your friend might have been there in October 1970, when there was a political crisis. There is still a lot of talk and debate about language in Quebec but in a very peaceful manner. As far as people going out of their way not to help and give false information, it seems very exagerated and paranoid to me. Montreal is a great, safe, cool city, thousands of americans visit it every year and love it. As I said in another post, just don't take for granted that everybody can speak English as some people don't, just ask them first. In the tourist industry everybody speaks English and if the first person on the street doesn't there will be someone else around who will. The key, as anywhere else in the world, is to be respectful if you want to be respected... Do not worry, you will have one of the best times in your life!!! :D
damellon

Post by damellon »

William
For someone who has no sense of direction, to me these terms longest/furthest are interchangeable.
If I'm left to find my own way, I may yet set the record for travelling the longest, without even leaving the country. :(
You only have to let the soft animal of your body
love what it loves.

from Wild Geese
Mary Oliver
bigdee

Post by bigdee »

Gaglou,
Thanks for the info on Montreal I will look into the links in a few minutes. I don't expect to travel the world and have everyone know English. Even here in the USA I find it easy to encounter people who can't speak English, especially when I travel down south to the states near the Mexico border. I think you're probably right about my friend being there during the political crisis you mentioned in 1970. He didn't say exactly what year it was but 1970 would sound about right from what he told me. He did say all that stuff about people painting out signs and giving the Americans a hard time did happen to them. He was a engineer working up there with a group of others from an American based company (I think he was with Stone & Webster at that time). He said the group elected him to do all the speaking for the group to the locals because he was originally from England and could speak French to a degree. He said they would never get straight answers when the Americans were asking for anything. I didn't really think it would be anything like that now since that was so long ago but he was my only point of reference for the area so I figured I better ask just in case.
I did find what I think is a good deal on a room just around the corner from Place Des Arts. I booked at the Travelodge which aprears to be about a block and a half away and got the room for $109.99 Canadian with my AAA club discount. Down side, I have to add $15 a day to that for parking since I'll be driving up. Still the only place closer was the Hyatt Regence which is across the street from the concert hall but the rooms there were $200+ a night. I'll walk the extra 5min and save the $100 per night for food and souviners. My total for 4 nights with tax and parking came to aprox $580 which from what I can tell is a good deal for the area. If anyone else wants to book a room there the phone number for the hotel is 514-874-9090 and the regular price for the room without any discounts was $119.99.
1993: Philadelphia July 15 2008: Montreal June 23,24,25 2009: NYC Feb 19/ Columbia May 11/ Philadelphia May 12/ Waterbury May 14/ NYC May 16,17/ Boston May 29,30/ Philadelphia Oct 22/ NYC Oct 23/ Cleveland Oct 25 2010: Vegas Dec 10,11 2012: Boston Dec 15,16/ NYC Dec 18,20 2013: NYC Apr 6,7
standfree

Post by standfree »

Hi guys

My wife and I are heading from Perth, Australia to Toronto for the Friday and Saturday shows, so I think we might be the farthest so far!

Can't wait to see Leonard.

Brian (Standfree)
Mark J

Post by Mark J »

Anyone coming to Montreal this summer needn't worryabout english/french, or anything at all. We're just 8 inches shy of our all-time record for snowfall in a winter, and people are shovelling in front of their living room windows just to see out. Part of what makes our summers great is having to put up with this sort of nonsense 6 months of the year. Rest assured, everyone will be in a hip-hop-happy mood when you guys head up here just after the first day of summer in June.
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Leonard is traveling the longest.

Wijbe

:lol:
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
graememullen

Post by graememullen »

los angeles to montreal (via boston)... i'm excited to see leonard in his home city. hopefully he'll schedule an LA date next year so i can see him again - but there's no way i'm risking missing him on this leg of the tour!
jally

Post by jally »

travelling the least?
less than a mile :D
Abdi Abdurahman

Post by Abdi Abdurahman »

Well, my wife and I will be travelling from Cape Town South Africa on the 5th June. We were hoping to see the concert on the Friday evening but could only get tickets for Sunday evening. Currently the exchange rate is killing us as it is at R8 to the Canadian dollar, so basically we are paying small fortune for air tickets and concert tickets. We will probaly never have an opportunity of seeing him again so this is a once in a lifetime indulgence.
If only I got a chance of meeting Leonard...........now that would be awesome !
foxymona

Post by foxymona »

Hey bigdee,
I am a Montreal Anglophone and you will have NO problem getting around without French. The only problem you will have is finding a hotel during the Montreal Jazz Festival. Our city rocks during that time with tourists from around the world.
Montreal 2008; Fort Lauderdale 2009, Montreal 2012 X 2, Kingston 2012
shikimo

Post by shikimo »

secretchord wrote:I'll be travelling about 3 miles
10 minute bike ride...
jasmina

Post by jasmina »

Hallo Fans,
we'll be travel from Zagreb, Croatia to London
Can't wait!