Ticket Allocation

Canada and Europe (May 11 - August 3, 2008). Concert reports, set lists, photos, media coverage, multimedia links, recollections...
manwithnoname

Re: Ticket Allocation

Post by manwithnoname »

Hello there,

I too just joined earlier this year, after being a long time lurker. Reading these posts is disheartening in a lot of ways, but at the same time, I expect some people to want to make sure that no one gets tickets just to sell them off and hurt a real fan. For me, I just think, oh well, if I can't get tickets early through the site, I'll just fight my way through ticketmaster and then if I don't get tickets, I'll have to hurt my wallet from a scalper. I understand there is no way to discern a "real fan". Heck, you could ask everyone to take a picture of themselves surrounded by Leonard LP's and CD's, and you could be sure someone would find a way to photoshop it or fake it in some way or another. BTW, the idea of someone being able to prove themselves a fan by going to the LC events is ridiculous. I've looked at the past and upcoming events.... They are nowhere near Northern California. Sorry, I don't think I could justify 2 plane tickets halfway around the world for a convention that doesn't even have a guarantee of seeing Leonard there. I did go to see Anjani earlier this year though, just to hear Leonards music in a live setting. Would showing my ticket for that show make me a genuine fan? No. Maybe everyone should have to call a toll-free number and be challenged to sing along with 5 random Leonard Songs.... I'm being silly here, but I'm betting a lot of people who are "old school" on this forum have thought of similiarly crazy ideas. Also, one thing to consider is that, I purposely didnt join this forum last year when there was TONS of drama of people saying they were better than other people, and had tons of infighting. I didnt want to get involved then, and it's quite hard for me to get involved now. I think I have posted once total on this site, saying what some of my favorite songs were...

Sorry if it has been mentioned before, but it seems to me, the best solution for the ticket sales/scalper worries is to have all of the tickets done via Will-Call, where the buyer has to purchase the tickets with the actual card they bring to the venue. I understand there are some loopholes around this, but I'm pretty sure it would at least cut down on the scalping that would be done. I wouldn't drive out to a venue and HOPE that a scalper met me at the booth and sold me the tickets right after he picked them up the night of the concert. Scalpers don't really do things in person anymore anyhow. They buy up the tickets, get them shipped, then they ebay/craigslist them. It's all done with little effort. Adding the Will-Call effort (and hopefully a 2 ticket limit) would greatly diminish their returns. Plus in most concert situations, it is illegal to sell tickets out in front of the venue. I know none of this is strictly enforced, but its still a law that needs to be followed, and it does affect scalpers.
"I sang my song. I told my lies, to lie between your matchless thighs." -LC
Michaelleigh

Post by Michaelleigh »

OK, Hands up, I admit it. I am a new fan I only discovered Leonard about 5 years ago and on my first listen did not get it. I heard a downbeat voice singing a downbeat song but something made me listen again and again and than again. Soon I was buying all his remarkable work. I have never seen him live in fact I do not go to concerts fall stop, as i have a bit of a thing about crowds due to a medical condition. In this case I will make an exception and will be getting my ticket, Yes ticket as i am the only Leonard fan i know as soon as i can. So come on all you people that discovered him early on, lets face it he does not get a lot of playtime in the UK so how would people get to know about him. In fact its the old timers fault for not spreading the word and keeping this remarkable talent to yourselves. Shame on you lets us new fans see the great man.
manwithnoname

Post by manwithnoname »

Michaelleigh,

Great post. I'm in the same boat. I only learned of Leonard back in 1994 (when I was 17) when Jeff Buckley released his version of Hallelujah. Since then I have been hooked. Am I less of a fan? No way. I've never ever heard an LC song on the radio unless it is a cover version. Why Leonard was able to fall by the wayside, I'll never understand. Hell, he even got covered on American Idol last week (it was horrible), and I didn't hear a peep about it here on the forums without digging to find it. It's such a strange and laid back community here... but I'm not complaining. Most forums have whining 13 year olds where every other word is an expletive.
damellon

Post by damellon »

manwithnoname wrote:Michaelleig
Hell, he even got covered on American Idol last week (it was horrible), and I didn't hear a peep about it here on the forums without digging to find it. It's such a strange and laid back community here... but I'm not complaining. Most forums have whining 13 year olds where every other word is an expletive.
Well it did get mentioned. The fact that you had to dig for it shows that it was noted but maybe not of any great interest. A strange and laid back community - that wouldn't be my impression. Maybe you have joined at a peculiar time. Stay and see what you think of it in 6 months time.
You only have to let the soft animal of your body
love what it loves.

from Wild Geese
Mary Oliver
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

It's such a strange and laid back community here... but I'm not complaining.
Who are you calling strange and laid back? Well, you're right and you're wrong, and you're wrong and you're right. I guess we'll just own to whatever applies. Nice to know you're not complaining, though. I think Simon [thanks to someone here for linking me to it] was overthralled with the song, itself... and more unlike him than not, it came through in his words for the singer. I wasn't so impressed, either.

~ Lizzy
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
manwithnoname

Post by manwithnoname »

Ha ha! I thought I may catch some attention for saying strange and laid-back. When I say strange, it's in comparison to what I typically see on forums. People are rude, and just downright inhuman sometimes on the other forums I check. So being here is strange. When I see a response from someone, I always expect some sort of vile comment, but here it's like, "I agree to a certain point, but here's my take..." and its strangely relaxing to me. Sorry if it was taken any other way. I'm usually a dead-silent lurker on forums, here I feel safe to post and not have to duck or run for cover. I've seen this forum get kinda wacky, but its the exception, not the rule.

Anyway, glad to be here.
jimbo

Post by jimbo »

Yes just lets enjoy....................
love is not forgotten......
s.p.fletcher

Post by s.p.fletcher »

Hi,
I've been a huge Cohen fan since the day my collage roommate showed me his copy of Stranger Music, I found a used first edition hard cover and have carried it around the world with me.
I've looked at this forum, only occasionally, for years...with the hope of hearing that he may tour again some day. I think many new members to the site are here for the same reason, to make sure they don't miss out.
If the allocated tickets are for long standing members of these pages to sit together in a block, I don't think any new members will (or even can) complain about being excluded. But I think everyone who got excited at the prospect of a concert and wants to make sure they don't miss out - so they did a little googling - would greatly appreciate a few early bird tickets at all the venues.
scatterjim

Post by scatterjim »

I have waited all my adult life (20 years) for the opportunity to see Leonard Cohen. Couldn't those who have seen Leonard Cohen give up their tickets for the rest of us? ;-)

Just because you have posted thousands of messages on this excellent website doesn't mean you are more deserving of a ticket than the Leonard fans who have lives outwith this website.

I cannot wait for a chance to see him at Edinburgh Castle, in my hometown. I fully expect it to be the best concert of my life.
monkeymouse

Post by monkeymouse »

Hi,

I'm another one of those who has been a fan all my life and just joined to get a jump on tickets. I feel badly for long-time forum members who may not get a shot. Luckily I see that American Express has a pre-sale as well so I can buy them there (hopefully it's different block from fan club members).

Good luck to all in securing tickets. I'm thrilled at the possibility to see Leonard Cohen perform on the same weekend we celebrate the Buddha's birthday. Hey Leonard, if you're out there listening, please feel free to join us on Sunday June 8 at the Toronto Zen Centre!

Peace,
Barbara
ofiejo

Post by ofiejo »

I love that there is a chance to see him live!! I have listened to, read, and recited LC since I was able to understand the depth of poetry in general (age 12). His lyrics have helped me throught the rough patches of life and I have rejoiced with any number of songs playing in the background. My dream has been to see him perform at least once in my lifetime, and possibly now, I will have that opportunity. As for the "true fans", get over yourselves!! Just because you can make the time to post your undying affection, more than someone else makes you no more of a fan than the person that randomly plays a cd or adds his lyrical prose to their wedding vows. Good luck to ALL who wish to see him here in Toronto in June, hopefully I will be sitting right beside you sharing in that dream.

With tickets gone,
who's ink compares with the morning sun,
not that I did compare,
but do compare
now that they're gone....?

(bad joke I guess?)
Elinor Anne

Post by Elinor Anne »

Well I just got home from the Edmonton concert and don't know where to turn. I needed a good single seat and bought two off a guy from kijiji. Get to the show and it was a voided ticket from a refund scam they think!!! Oh my god I was so shocked then so angry then sooo upset I cried and cried. The people at the ticket booth wouldn't help me and had little sympathy. Luckily they had a ticket (way up high)that I purchased and got in. It was truly an amazing show but I missed over 20 min of the show and really didn't enjoy it as much as I could of as I was so stressed out. What an awful feeling. Does anyone know how to contact Leonard's office or anywhere. Thanks.

Return to “The Summer Tour 2008”