Leonard Cohen: TOUR 2008

Canada and Europe (May 11 - August 3, 2008). Concert reports, set lists, photos, media coverage, multimedia links, recollections...
LuNo

Re: Leonard Cohen: TOUR 2008

Post by LuNo »

Well, if Chuck Berry still rock & rolls at 81 :!: , I don't quite see why shouldn't LC surprise us all... ;-)
Though everyone knows he tries to divert the spotlight from himself, I'm sure he knows everyone will be waiting for him as he is himself and no one else is.

Lenny B. Goode for us! 8)
Luis

It's easy: All you need is Love [John Lennon]
lightning

Post by lightning »

Worlds oldest "Rock" star--Tuli Kupferberg of the Fugs at 84
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5tHk_y2n7iU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_7N9MaRtrQ
Undertow

Post by Undertow »

BB Kings rocks out at 80 something. He maybe sitting down at the time, but goddamnit its still BB King!
jarkko
Site Admin

Post by jarkko »

Marie found this:
http://www.24heures.ch/pages/home/tribu ... nu)/187729
Montreux announces initial lineup
The 42nd jazz festival unveils a poster and a list of top stars appearing at the popular July event, including legendary blues, jazz, rock and Brazilian attractions.

Paul Simon, Lenny Kravitz and Quincy Jones are among the stars lined up for this year’s Montreux Jazz Festival. Festival director Claude Nobs yesterday outlined an initial list of performers expected at the 42nd annual event, running from July 4 to 19. For Jones, the impresario, arranger and trumpet player who turns 75 this year, it will be another return visit to the festival. Perhaps his best remembered concert at Montreux was his 1991 appearance with jazz trumpeter Miles Davis, an event that was recorded live.

At the MIDEM music industry convention in Cannes, Nobs released a list of 20 attractions expected at this year’s gathering at Montreux. The list includes blues performers such as Buddy Guy, Etta James and Robert Cray. Among the jazz artists are the original members of Return to Forever, the pioneer jazz fusion band, with Chick Corea (keyboards), Stanley Clarke (bass), Al di Meola (guitar) and Lenny White (drums).

The Babyshambles and Scorpions are among the rock groups expected, while Gilberto Gil is among a range of Brazilian artists announced. A spokesman from the festival said negotiations continue with representatives of Canadian singer-songwriter Leonard Cohen, who is launching a world tour this year.

A more complete list of entertainers will be released at a press conference on April 17. Meanwhile, Nobs unveiled the official poster for this year’s festival. Featuring three metal trumpet mutes, it was designed by John Armleder, an artist and instructor at the Lausanne University of Art and Design (ECAL). Armleder had a major retrospective exhibition at Geneva’s Mamco museum last year.
el-nico

Post by el-nico »

When will the places/dates be official in February?
I will se him live this time!
..there were lots of invitations
tomsakic

Post by tomsakic »

Well now I got pretty excited about this tour. Why? Because I got 2007 Spanish tribute CD produced by Alberto Manzano (thank you to Jarkko, as usual), with Perla Batalla, Adam Cohen, Jackson Browne and Anjani as guests. Javier Mas - Leonard's new tour band member, who plays flamenco guitars (6- and 12-strings), bandurria and archillaud - arranged (with US producer Kevin McCormack) all Leonard's songs to acoustic flamenco style. It's awesome; in my opinion, the best tribute CD ever! Anyhow, Leonard finally found the replacement for John Bilezikjian and his oud and mandolin... (Bilezikjian cannot participate in this tour.) And I recall that Leonard praised Recent Songs (1979) as his best album, back in 2001, and also in 2006 he said that he's going back to Mediterranian sound with his next album, using bouzuki etc. So it seems that in past few years Leonard was trying to find the replacement for Bilezikjian and Raffi Hakopian's violin, and he finally has found it in Javier Mas. I hope that the tour will sound similar to the Spanish tribute shows. It's not only a proper way, back to Federico Garcia Lorca and the Mediterranian, where - I believe - real Leonard Cohen actually is, but if this is what's going to happen on tour, we're looking into new Recent Songs and best Leonard's tour to date. The songs sound so natural in these arrangements.
el-nico

Post by el-nico »

Because I got 2007 Spanish tribute CD produced by Alberto Manzano (thank you to Jarkko, as usual), with Perla Batalla, Adam Cohen, Jackson Browne and Anjani as guests. Javier Mas - Leonard's new tour band member, who plays flamenco guitars (6- and 12-strings), bandurria and archillaud - arranged (with US producer Kevin McCormack) all Leonard's songs to acoustic flamenco style. It's awesome; in my opinion, the best tribute CD ever!

THIS turns me on!!! Mr. Cohen in flamenco style?!?!?! MAN!!!

What is the name of the cd? Tried to google it, but no luck so far.

I would really like to listen to this!!
el-nico

Post by el-nico »

Found it!!
tomsakic

Post by tomsakic »

Javier Mas at MyMusicSpace: http://www.myspace.com/maodeoro

There's the opening track from the CD, Mi Gitana (Gypsy Wife) in YouTube clip, there on this page (singer = Duquende).

tom
tomsakic

Post by tomsakic »

And here, a little more how it could sound like: same show, Adam Cohen, Leonard's son, is singing Take This Waltz in Spanish, with Javier Mas' band.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oAd_POWWGXE
Henning

Post by Henning »

I agree with you Tom - we have praised "Accordes con Cohen" already on another thread. The whole package is awesome. Very stylish. 2 CD's plus one DVD plus booklet. And the music with the spanish influence is just wonderful. Javier Mas will benefit to the tour, no question.
IT'S DARKER NOW
1979: Frankfurt | 1980: Frankfurt | 1985: Wiesbaden - Munich | 1988: Munich - Nuremberg | 1993: Frankfurt
2008: Dublin - Manchester - Amsterdam - Loerrach - Berlin - Frankfurt - Oberhausen - London
2009: Cologne - Barcelona | 2010: Wiesbaden - Dortmund
2012: Ghent - Moenchengladbach - Verona - Lisbon | 2013: Oberhausen - Mannheim - Pula
swisschris

Post by swisschris »

I get more and more excited about this tour....and I really hope that Leonard will play at the Montreux Jazz Festival. The only worry is that it is often quite hard to get tickets for concerts in Montreux. Some concerts last year sold out within just a few minutes...
Thanks also for the information about Leonard's new guitar player. That sounds definitely interesting. I don't know this tribute cd yet, but will have a look now.

2008:Lyon July 9th, Lörrach July 25th, Zurich October 25th;
2009: Nimes August 20th;
2010: Basel September 8th;
2012: Verona September 24th;
2013: Montreux July 4th
Chris Hatten

Post by Chris Hatten »

Have never seen my hero, even though I first bought "Songs of.." in 1967 aged 17 and have every album since.
lightning

Post by lightning »

I liked Javier Mas " Mi Gitana" and look forward to seeing him perform on the tour.
ForYourSmile

Post by ForYourSmile »

Duquende performs “Mi Gitana”, habitually I do not like much this kind of music, but this version fills me with enthusiasm. Javier Mas's bandurria, Bubitchi's violin and the whole instrumentation create a wonderful atmosphere for this song, perfect. We will not forget the John Bilezikjian and Raffi Hakopian excellent sound.

I have been very glad with this Tom's message; it makes me very happy to know that you have liked this tribute, sincerely. There is the illusion and the enormous effort of a good bunch of people who love Leonard Cohen.

I remember Georges Moustaki's good concert, we wanted to stay with our darling Moustaki with his 72 years and listening his music.

Return to “The Summer Tour 2008”