'I cannot give the reasons
I only sing the tunes
The sadness of the seasons
The madness of the moons'
~ Mervyn Peake ~
HugoD

Re: "Thanks for the dance" - the new album

Post by HugoD »

Ordered the CD and t-shirt a last October at the LC store in the UK. Also received a shipping confirmation somewhere mid November. Was already wondering when the items would arrive. But today, much to my surprise Sandbag UK refunded the money without any explanation :?: . Have of course sent them an email to inquire about the reasons but are there other forum members where this has happened?
Lille 2010, Dublin 2012, Mannheim 2013, Rotterdam 2013, Montréal 2017
Happiness is just the side effect of a meaningful life.
jarkko
Site Admin

Post by jarkko »

Record Collector gives *****
(Special 500th issue, Christmas 2019)
1988, 1993: Helsinki||2008: Manchester|Oslo|London O2|Berlin|Helsinki|London RAH|| 2009: New York Beacon|Berlin|Venice|Barcelona|Las Vegas|San José||2010: Salzburg|Helsinki|Gent|Bratislava|Las Vegas|| 2012: Gent|Helsinki|Verona|| 2013: New York|Pula|Oslo|||
Clementine

Post by Clementine »

It was six years ago today and actually about this very hour, when Leonard played live for the very last time, here in Auckland, New Zealand.

I was in the front row and watched as the whole crew came on stage. We enjoyed a united celebration before Leonard skipped off, so nimbly, for a final time.

When I look at this now, of course I cry, but on that night, joyfulness broke through. We loved him and he loved us!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-YOo6Jqc2rU
Mabeanie1

Post by Mabeanie1 »

Clementine wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 12:27 pm It was six years ago today and actually about this very hour, when Leonard played live for the very last time, here in Auckland, New Zealand.

I was in the front row and watched as the whole crew came on stage. We enjoyed a united celebration before Leonard skipped off, so nimbly, for a final time.

When I look at this now, of course I cry, but on that night, joyfulness broke through. We loved him and he loved us!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-YOo6Jqc2rU
It was a truly wonderful night. One to cherish and remember forever.

Wendy
Geoffrey

Post by Geoffrey »

"i want to thank you, not just for tonight, but for all the years that you've paid attention to my songs. i really appreciate it."

few performers say this at the close of a concert.
a sincerely modest, kind and wonderfully gifted gentleman who will forever be an inspiration to others.
Hal E. Lujah

Post by Hal E. Lujah »

Hello, all. I saw an interview recently in which Adam said he had called his father's music, mytho-romantic, to his father's consternation. Does anyone know what terms Leonard used to refer to his ouervre, and shed light on why he despised that characterization?

Loving the new album; I hear different things that I had missed in earlier hearings. After a while they all become your favorites, if you know what I mean. The attraction to certain tunes changes with time.

Hal E.
RainDog1980

Post by RainDog1980 »

I have been sitting with this album so I could consume it and process it before sharing any thoughts. Whenever it comes to posthumous/reissue material, there is one principal I tend to judge by: does this need to be heard?

My answer is an unequivocal YES. This album is made up almost entirely of songs that are essential to Cohen's catalogue.

Happens to the Heart, Moving On, It's Torn, The Goal, and The Hills are just out of this world, to my ears. The Night of Santiago is great, but not up to the others.

Thanks For The Dance sounds like Leonard wrote entirely on his own, but musically, it's not my favorite. The same with Puppets. Lyrically devestating, it had the potential to be a monster of a song, but stands better as a recitation.

Listen to the Hummingbird is a lovely closer. Sadly, I can't follow LC's advice on that one... his work will stay with me until my own passing.
da2008

Post by da2008 »

This needs to be heard, but I still find it hard to listen to this or Leonard's last, instead focussing on the live recordings of the last 10 years. I'm sure the time will come, I'll embrace and fully appreciate these records. I've heard all the new songs, and they hit me very hard. It's just that their time to be in regular rotation hasn't come...
Brucedg

Post by Brucedg »

just cans stop listening to it!!

Return to “Thanks for the Dance”