"Thanks for the dance" - the new album

Leonard Cohen's posthumous album (2019)
mutti

Re: "Thanks for the dance" - the new album

Post by mutti »

Wow! Thanks Marie! That is amazing you have all those reviews and links there for all of us to read.
Really appreciate you taking the time to do this.
Isn't it an amazing album. So touched and moved hearing Leonard again and his words and the stunning music arrangements that Adam created with all those fabulous musicians. Hearing Javier play and Leonard's voice brought tears to my eyes a few times.
So grateful...
Thank you Leonard and thank you Adam!
Thanks
Leslie 8)
1988 Vancouver
2009 Victoria/Seattle/Almost Red Rocks/Las Vegas/San Jose.
2010 Sligo x 2/Victoria/Vancouver/Portland/Las Vegas x 2.
2012 Austin x 2/Seattle/Vancouver/Montreal x 2.
2013 Oakland x 2/New York City x 2/Winnipeg...
The Brucester

Post by The Brucester »

To answer Leslie's question about Leonard Cohen's "Thanks For The Dance"....
"Isn't this an amazing album?" The answer is an astounding.... YES !!!
I can't stop listening to it !!! WOW !!!
Tremendous job by Leonard's son, Adam, putting it all together.

>>> Leonard Cohen still lives <<<

Ironically, Leonard's new album was released on November 22nd....which happens
to be the 56th anniversary of U.S. President John F. Kennedy's assassination....
November 22nd, 1963.

During the 1964 American Democratic Convention, John F. Kennedy's brother, Bobby, paid
tribute to him by quoting a verse from Shakespeare's infamous play, "Romeo & Juliet".
Dedicated to JFK, the following has often been referred to as the "Stars Speech" :

"When he shall die, take him and cut him into little stars,
and he shall make the face of Heaven so fine,
that all the world will fall in love with night,
and pay no worship to the garish sun."

- Brucester
Born With The Gift Of A G

Post by Born With The Gift Of A G »

"Little lady.....I AM Kris Kristofferson....."
London: 10 & 11 May 1993; Manchester: 17, 18, 19 & 20 June 2008; Vienna: 25 September 2008; London: 17 November 2008; Paris: 26 November 2008; Manchester: 30 November 2008; Liverpool: 14 July 2009; Paris: 28 September 2012; Manchester: 31 August 2013; Leeds: 7 September 2013.
Jean Fournell

Post by Jean Fournell »

For those who read German:
https://www.sueddeutsche.de/kultur/leon ... -1.4693396

The review is followed by a link to a 2007 interview with Anjani Thomas and Leonard Cohen:
https://sz-magazin.sueddeutsche.de/sz-d ... jani-83013

... for a while
... for a little while...

(Just a filthy beggar blessing / What happens to the heart)
LisaLCFan

Post by LisaLCFan »

The new album is so wonderful -- I love it!!

Enormous thanks to Adam Cohen, for bringing Leonard's new songs to life so beautifully, and eternal thanks to Leonard himself, whose spirit is so very present in each and every beautiful new song. Thank you!

London: 10 & 11 May 1993; Manchester: 17, 18, 19 & 20 June 2008; Vienna: 25 September 2008; London: 17 November 2008; Paris: 26 November 2008; Manchester: 30 November 2008; Liverpool: 14 July 2009; Paris: 28 September 2012; Manchester: 31 August 2013; Leeds: 7 September 2013.

Will Hodgkinson in The Times: Friday, 22nd November 2019

ALBUM REVIEW | POP
Leonard Cohen: Thanks for the Dance review — in his final days one thing was on his mind: sex

★★★★★

Posthumous albums are rarely a good idea, but this one is different. When Leonard Cohen was dying he recorded a handful of his lyrics with his son, Adam, who then put together a subtle musical backing with help from the Spanish laud player Javier Mas, the singers Damien Rice and Leslie Feist, and the Los Angeles polymath Beck on Jew’s harp.

Cohen intones the words in the gravelly burr of his later years, and in his final days it seems one thing was on his mind: sex. “Her thighs, they slipped away from me like schools of startled fish. Though I’ve forgotten half my life, I still remember this,” he confesses, surely with a wistful smile on his face, on The Night of Santiago; poetic smut of the highest order to leaven the ruminations on facing the final curtain elsewhere. He is greatly missed.
(Columbia)
panjandrum

Post by panjandrum »

Born With The Gift Of A G wrote: Sat Nov 23, 2019 8:35 pm Will Hodgkinson in The Times: Friday, 22nd November 2019

ALBUM REVIEW | POP
Leonard Cohen: Thanks for the Dance review — in his final days one thing was on his mind: sex

★★★★★

Posthumous albums are rarely a good idea, but this one is different. When Leonard Cohen was dying he recorded a handful of his lyrics with his son, Adam, who then put together a subtle musical backing with help from the Spanish laud player Javier Mas, the singers Damien Rice and Leslie Feist, and the Los Angeles polymath Beck on Jew’s harp.

Cohen intones the words in the gravelly burr of his later years, and in his final days it seems one thing was on his mind: sex. “Her thighs, they slipped away from me like schools of startled fish. Though I’ve forgotten half my life, I still remember this,” he confesses, surely with a wistful smile on his face, on The Night of Santiago; poetic smut of the highest order to leaven the ruminations on facing the final curtain elsewhere. He is greatly missed.
(Columbia)
Would be kind of nice if reviewers would do at least a little actual research. (Is not a new work. First printed (I think) in Book of Longing, and is translation from a work by Lorca.)
mutti

Post by mutti »

I know I've already posted on this thread about 'Thanks for the Dance' but I want to again say how blessed we are to have yet more from Leonard and I want to give a huge shout out to Adam! What an incredible gift you have given us and your Dad. Such beautiful music has been created. The more I listen it blows me away...To you and all the musicians I can only think Leonard would be so touched and pleased with how his album turned out. I for one am so happy! The dance of life continues...
Thank you!
Leslie 8)
1988 Vancouver
2009 Victoria/Seattle/Almost Red Rocks/Las Vegas/San Jose.
2010 Sligo x 2/Victoria/Vancouver/Portland/Las Vegas x 2.
2012 Austin x 2/Seattle/Vancouver/Montreal x 2.
2013 Oakland x 2/New York City x 2/Winnipeg...
B4real

Post by B4real »

*Listen to the hummingbird
Whose wings you cannot see

Listen to the Prince of Peace
Who gave his life for thee

Listen to the masterminds
Who map/describe eternity

*Listen to the butterfly
Whose days they/but number three

Listen to the suicide
Who doesn’t want to be

*Listen to the officer (comment)
Who studies your ID

Listen to the lock unlock
- - - - -- --

;-)
Last edited by B4real on Sun Nov 24, 2019 1:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
It doesn't have to be perfect, it just has to B4real ~ me
Attitude is a self-fulfilling prophecy ~ me ...... The magic of art is the truth of its lies ~ me ...... Only left-handers are in their right mind!
LisaLCFan

Post by LisaLCFan »

mutti wrote: Sat Nov 23, 2019 11:38 pm I know I've already posted on this thread about 'Thanks for the Dance' but I want to again say how blessed we are to have yet more from Leonard and I want to give a huge shout out to Adam! What an incredible gift you have given us and your Dad. Such beautiful music has been created. The more I listen it blows me away...To you and all the musicians I can only think Leonard would be so touched and pleased with how his album turned out. I for one am so happy! The dance of life continues...
Thank you!
Leslie 8)

I was thinking exactly the same thing! The more I hear this new album, the more I love it (I've been listening to it all day!)! It is absolutely "classic" Leonard Cohen, in every amazing and varied track, with Leonard's sublime voice and poetry accompanied by such perfect and subtle instrumentation. It is fantastic (and incredibly addictive!). Thank you, thank, thank you, to everyone who made it happen!
peter danielsen

Post by peter danielsen »

The Hills, seemed to have a video, will this be aired soon?
Peter
...I ..... .... ....... made . ..... ...... by ....... music .. ..... .. ......
anneporter

Post by anneporter »

I don’t know if this link has been posted yet:
Tom Power’s interview with Adam Cohen on CBC radio:

https://m.facebook.com/sharer/sharer.ph ... episode%5D

Adam Cohen on Leonard: ‘It was daunting finishing my dad's last music'

The Observer: 24th November 2019

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2019/ ... -interview
holydove

Post by holydove »

I want to add my words of gratitude to Leonard, Adam & everyone involved in the making of this amazing, beautiful album!! I can totally believe that Leonard was there with all of you during the process, as his presence is so tangible in all those gorgeous musical arrangements, & with this album, you have brought Leonard's presence to us as well. And Leonard's voice is so incredibly powerful, vibrant, strong, deep & rich as ever! The whole thing is a brilliant work of art in every way, & I love every beautiful second of it. You all have my eternal gratitude for this very unique & beautiful musical gift!

Return to “Thanks for the Dance”