"A new album of original Leonard Cohen songs is in the works"

Leonard Cohen's posthumous album (2019)
jarkko
Site Admin

"A new album of original Leonard Cohen songs is in the works"

Post by jarkko »

There are these songs that exist that he wanted finished, these incredible powerful readings that were set to music - Adam Cohen

Here's breaking news from Adam's interview on q scheduled for airing on October 1.

https://www.cbc.ca/radio/q/blog/a-new-a ... -1.4840709
A new album of original Leonard Cohen songs is in the works, says son Adam

The album ‘resembles his older work,’ says the late artist’s son and producer.

When Leonard Cohen passed away in 2016 at the age of 82, he left behind not only a huge hole in the music world, but also a collection of unfinished songs, according to his son and producer, Adam Cohen, who is working to complete them. A new album, he says, can be expected next year.

"I was tasked with finishing a few more songs of his that we started together on the last album, so his voice is literally still in my life. It's a bizarre and delicious entanglement," Adam told q's Tom Power during a discussion about The Flame, a book of previously unpublished poems by his father, due out Oct. 1. "To make a long story short, I believe that there are some really beautiful new songs of Leonard Cohen that no one's heard that are at some point going to come out."

Adam, who also produced Leonard's last album, You Want it Darker, released just three weeks before his death, says that the breadth of the recorded poems is "extraordinary."

He explains that, while they were making You Want it Darker, "I would implore him, even though I knew he was in a delicate state, I'd say, 'Dad, just read this, just read this poem to a metronome and we'll look at it later.' Some of my favourite poems of his are actually in the vault and I was tasked with finishing them."

While You Want it Darker saw Cohen largely reflecting on death, Adam says the unreleased recordings are very different in tone. "What's also beautiful about them is that, unlike the the gravity and the nature [...] of You Want it Darker, these have a sort of more mytho-romantic [tone] that resembles his older work, something more romantic. So that's also more surprising."

When asked if he finds working on his father's work daunting, Adam says it's "a luxury and a treat. … How wonderful that these songs exist, that I'm going to bring them and see them to completion, not just for me because I'm part of the family business, but for all the people out there who are going to hopefully delight in hearing his language, that inimitable contribution of his. You know, there are these songs that exist that he wanted finished, these incredible powerful readings that were set to music. … It's going to surprise and delight."

To hear the rest of Power's chat with Adam Cohen, tune into Monday's episode of q.
Thanks to Marie for the alarm!
1988, 1993: Helsinki||2008: Manchester|Oslo|London O2|Berlin|Helsinki|London RAH|| 2009: New York Beacon|Berlin|Venice|Barcelona|Las Vegas|San José||2010: Salzburg|Helsinki|Gent|Bratislava|Las Vegas|| 2012: Gent|Helsinki|Verona|| 2013: New York|Pula|Oslo|||
HugoD

Re: "A new album of original Leonard Cohen songs is in the works"

Post by HugoD »

Wow, we kind of expected this but this confirmation is really great :D ;. And again the great “P” has started.
Lille 2010, Dublin 2012, Mannheim 2013, Rotterdam 2013, Montréal 2017
Happiness is just the side effect of a meaningful life.
holydove

Post by holydove »

Oh, this is absolutely something delightful to look forward to!!

Thank you, Adam, for your talent & devotion to this work! And thank you to Marie & Jarkko, for bringing us this great exciting news!
phillip

Post by phillip »

Cant wait and thankyou Adam
I have been a Leonard Cohen fan for 28 years feel free to email me if you wish to keep in touch!
musicmania

Post by musicmania »

My oh my :D
2009 Dublin 2010 Lissadell Katowice LV x2 2012 Ghent x2 Dublin x4 Montreal x2 Toronto x2 2013 New York x2 Brussels Dublin x2

Gwen's Leonard Cohen Journey: http://myleonardcohenjourney.wordpress.com/

"I did my best, it wasn't much"
oldfriend28

Post by oldfriend28 »

Thank you all for this. Wonderful. Am so looking forward to it!
B4real

Post by B4real »

Absolutely outstanding!! Finally it's official :D
....and just a few days ago we were commenting on this -
https://www.leonardcohenforum.com/viewt ... 00#p370000
It doesn't have to be perfect, it just has to B4real ~ me
Attitude is a self-fulfilling prophecy ~ me ...... The magic of art is the truth of its lies ~ me ...... Only left-handers are in their right mind!
MaryB

Post by MaryB »

Oh my, my heart's a-pitter-patter. With much gratitude to Adam for his devotion.

Thank you Marie and Jarkko for bringing us this wonderful, phenomenal news!
1993 Detroit 2008 Kitchener June 2-Hamilton June 3 & 4-Vienna Sept 24 & 25-London RAH Nov 17 2009 NYC Feb 19-Grand Prairie Apr 3-Phoenix Apr 5-Columbia May 11-Red Rocks Jun 4-Barcelona Sept 21-Columbus Oct 27-Las Vegas Nov 12-San Jose Nov 13 2010 Sligo Jul 31 & Aug 1-LV Dec 10 & 11 2012 Paris Sept 30-London Dec 11-Boston Dec 16 2013 Louisville Mar 30-Amsterdam Sept 20
Frank Van Dael

Post by Frank Van Dael »

Wonderful news. Leonard's words and music in my life since 1970. Like a willow, like a fountain. Koitos, Jarkko. Thank you, Marie. And thank you, Mr. Adam Cohen, for being the son, the musician and the producer that you are.
LisaLCFan

Post by LisaLCFan »

Very exciting news! It'll be a treasure, I'm sure!
its4inthemorning

Post by its4inthemorning »

Finally our patience may be rewarded!

Am hoping that Adam has asked Patrick Leonard to become involved in this project (or more greedily, these projects), Patrick Leonard apparently contributed quite a bit to the great music on LC's final three albums.

2010 DECEMBER 10 - CAESARS COLOSSEUM, LAS VEGAS / 2012 SEPTEMBER 28 - L'OLYMPIA, PARIS
2012 OCTOBER 3 - PALAU SANT JORDI, BARCELONA / 2012 DECEMBER 13 - K-ROCK CENTRE, KINGSTON
2013 APRIL 6 - RADIO CITY MUSIC HALL, NEW YORK CITY / 2013 JULY 9 - PIAZZA NAPOLEONE, LUCCA
2017 NOVEMBER 4-8 - MONTREAL "TOWER OF SONG" CELEBRATION - RIP, YOU GOT ME SINGING!
jarkko
Site Admin

Post by jarkko »

Link to Adam’s interview:
https://www.cbc.ca/radio/q/monday-octob ... -1.4842939
19:22 min
1988, 1993: Helsinki||2008: Manchester|Oslo|London O2|Berlin|Helsinki|London RAH|| 2009: New York Beacon|Berlin|Venice|Barcelona|Las Vegas|San José||2010: Salzburg|Helsinki|Gent|Bratislava|Las Vegas|| 2012: Gent|Helsinki|Verona|| 2013: New York|Pula|Oslo|||
vlcoats

Post by vlcoats »

Thank you Jarkko for posting this link to Adam's interview. I have only had chance to hear part of it on my lunch hour, but I look forward to hearing the rest and just wanted to say thanks!
Diane

Post by Diane »

Just seen this thread :D :!:
davidrichards

Post by davidrichards »

its4inthemorning
"Am hoping that Adam has asked Patrick Leonard to become involved in this project (or more greedily, these projects), Patrick Leonard apparently contributed quite a bit to the great music on LC's final three albums."
I know that I am probably in a minority but I sincerely hope that Patrick Leonard has nothing to do with any possible new release. As a musician and lifelong fan of Leonard Cohen from my first encounter in the 1960's, I do not think that his contributions have enhanced those recordings. Indeed for me it has detracted from the finished product.

However, what will be will be and we must be grateful for any further work which we are fortunate enough to be able to listen to or read.

Return to “Thanks for the Dance”