Re: THE FLAME - Leonard's New Collection of Poetry

Post by MarieM »

PRESS RELEASE

http://www.newswire.ca/news-releases/mc ... 46833.html
McClelland & Stewart to publish final volume of poems by Leonard Cohen

NEWS PROVIDED BY
McClelland and Stewart
October 6, 2017

TORONTO, Oct. 6, 2017 /CNW/ - McClelland and Stewart is honoured to announce the publication of Leonard Cohen's final book, THE FLAME, which was completed in the months before his death in November 2016. The deal was arranged with Andrew Wylie at The Wylie Agency. The book will be published in Canada on October 16, 2018. In the United States, the book will be published by Farrar, Straus and Giroux; in the United Kingdom, it will be published by Canongate Books.

Robert Kory, Leonard Cohen's manager and Trustee of the Cohen Estate, said, "During the final months of his life, Leonard had a singular focus—completing this book taken largely from his unpublished poems and selections from his notebooks. The flame and how our culture threatened its extinction was a central concern. Though in declining health, Leonard died unexpectedly. Those of us who had the rare privilege of spending time with him during this period recognized that the flame burned bright within him to the very end. This book, finished only days before his death, reveals to all the intensity of his inner fire. "

THE FLAME includes a stunning collection of Cohen's last poems, selected and ordered by the author in the final months of his life. Additionally, the book contains an extensive selection from Cohen's notebooks, which he kept in poetic form throughout his life, offering an unprecedentedly intimate look inside the life and mind of a unique artist and thinker. THE FLAME will also offer the full lyrics to Leonard's final three albums, as well as those written by Cohen for the album BLUE ALERT by his collaborator Anjani. The book, which will also feature prose pieces and illustrations by Cohen, is an enormously powerful final chapter in Cohen's storied literary career.

McClelland and Stewart publisher Jared Bland said, "It is a solemn honour to publish this profound book, which is full of Leonard Cohen's signature combination of grace, humour, wisdom, and heartbreaking insight into the fragility and beauty of this world we all share. It will endure as a testament to his humanity and genius, and delight his millions of fans around the world."

SOURCE McClelland and Stewart

For further information: Ashley Dunn, adunn@penguinrandomhouse.com
Marie
Speaking Cohen
Mary72

Post by Mary72 »

Why this wasn't supposed to be out yet, Jarkko?
Dominique Boile discovered a kindle version in the french amazon site, a few hours later there's the breaking news that there will be a new book in a year time and by the way, Malka's book has been postponed to another date by "unforeseen circunstances", ( a dear friend got a copy - imagine the treasure she holds now) a lot to be explained these days. thanks anyway for any possible answer.
jarkko wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2017 12:12 pm I believe the news was not supposed to be out yet, but amazon has posted it, so here is a copy of their presentation text.
Last edited by Mary72 on Thu Nov 02, 2017 12:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
jarkko
Site Admin

Post by jarkko »

There is always exact timing for the official press releases, and Amazon made - as they often seem to do - a false start on October 5 instead of 6.

According to what I have been told, "[Malka Marom's book] is an illegal publication", and it remains to be seen what will happen to it.
1988, 1993: Helsinki||2008: Manchester|Oslo|London O2|Berlin|Helsinki|London RAH|| 2009: New York Beacon|Berlin|Venice|Barcelona|Las Vegas|San José||2010: Salzburg|Helsinki|Gent|Bratislava|Las Vegas|| 2012: Gent|Helsinki|Verona|| 2013: New York|Pula|Oslo|||
da2008

Post by da2008 »

Now this is amazing news! A****n being what they always are though, I will wait for the proper edition.
Mary72

Post by Mary72 »

jarkko wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2017 10:50 am According to what I have been told, "[Malka Marom's book] is an illegal publication", and it remains to be seen what will happen to it.
this is actually shameful, the book was announced one year ago, even before Leonard's death. I tried to obtain some information from her but by what I can perceive from your words, "illegal publication" is a bit too hard to take.
I wonder about all those bootlegs being sold worldwide, how illegal are they?
Many thanks Jarkko, looking forward for The Flame, for sure will keep burning bright at his temple.
WiTS

Post by WiTS »

············································································································
2008-06-29 Pyramid Stage, Glastonbury Festival; 2008-07-17 O2 Arena, London
Leonard Cohen Chinese Fansite since 2008 http://site.douban.com/137869/
Search LeonardCohenCHINA on WeChat and subscribe for the latest Leonard Cohen news
Amrei

Post by Amrei »

Oh, I plunged through Amazon ... and did not see it was 2018 first [emoji20]
A whole year to wait and the sad month soon to come. I still can't hear his last album. [emoji29]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2009: Berlin 02.07.
2010: Hannover 27.09.; Dortmund 29.09.
2012: Copenhagen 25.08.; Aalborg 26.08.; Berlin 05.09.
2013: Hamburg 14.07.
Amrei

Post by Amrei »

But I will look forward to this collection [emoji4]- at least once more something beautiful worth waiting for and looking forward to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2009: Berlin 02.07.
2010: Hannover 27.09.; Dortmund 29.09.
2012: Copenhagen 25.08.; Aalborg 26.08.; Berlin 05.09.
2013: Hamburg 14.07.
Janne

Post by Janne »

Wonderful news! Found it on amazon and fixed it for next year to get it as fast as published!

Now was curious what to read about it here and share my happiness with you!

So happy Leonard himself prepared it!

The Flame is the best title! And reminds me of his last poem shared here: What Happens To The Heart!

Well, didn't he sing something like: You will hear me long after I'm gone! I will speak to you sweetly from my window in the tower of song?!

Looking forward!
Gregor

Post by Gregor »

Yet another pearl on a chain of jems
Thanks for the info Jarrko :D
There is a crack in every thing thats how the light gets in
Patrycja

Post by Patrycja »

Thrilled about this! I first heard on FB, but it's great to get more details here. 'The Flame' is now at the top of my to-be-read list. I can't wait to pore over every detail on every page. It's so touching knowing Leonard was putting in his energy and focus into this work right up until the end.
Will... If It Be Your Will
B4real

Post by B4real »

Leonard Cohen's final book will keep his flame burning
- Ian McGillis, Montreal Gazette

http://montrealgazette.com/entertainmen ... s-for-2018

Fantastic photo :D

Leonard Cohen has felt every bit as present in our culture since his death as he did when still with us, and that is not about to change in 2018.

Three months ago, news came from Cohen’s longtime Canadian publishers McClelland & Stewart that next October will see the release of a work that occupied Cohen until literally days before his passing on Nov. 7, 2016. It’s no disservice to any living writer to say that The Flame will be the most anticipated book of the year.

Cohen was an artist who was vital right until the end — not just active, but operating at peak form. Where aging artists will often squander their energy attempting to recapture their youth, Cohen fully addressed where he was in life, creating work that stared down mortality in ways few have done so directly and eloquently. Which makes the prospects for The Flame, described by manager Robert Kory as the result of “a singular focus” in Cohen’s final months, all the more tantalizing.

There’s a nice full-circle feel to this posthumous work being largely a collection of poems: Cohen was a published poet (and novelist) well before taking up music, and no matter how great his prominence as a singer-songwriter grew, he never gave up his poetic vocation. If some of the fans who came on board relatively late — via I’m Your Man, or the Hallelujah phenomenon — were unaware of that, now they will find out in the best way. The Flame will also include selections from Cohen’s journals, the full lyrics from the Old Ideas, Popular Problems and You Want It Darker trilogy and collaborator Anjani’s album Blue Alert, assorted short prose pieces, and illustrations by the author.

“I always liked it slow,” Cohen once sang, and all those involved in The Flame have heeded his words, taking the time to shepherd the project with care.
It doesn't have to be perfect, it just has to B4real ~ me
Attitude is a self-fulfilling prophecy ~ me ...... The magic of art is the truth of its lies ~ me ...... Only left-handers are in their right mind!
jerzy111

Post by jerzy111 »

Then we all keep on waiting for "the Flame". Could somebody let know if preorder already running and where could it be placed ?
HugoD

Post by HugoD »

Is there a specific reason for the (long wait till) October release of this book? With that a mean the date, the publisher is now saying October 16th if I am not mistaken. The book is ready I would think and publishing can happen in weeks if not days these days.
Lille 2010, Dublin 2012, Mannheim 2013, Rotterdam 2013, Montréal 2017
Happiness is just the side effect of a meaningful life.
Maarten

Post by Maarten »

Well, perhaps some people are still proof reading it... :)

The Flame
The Flame

2008 Manchester | Bruges | Amsterdam | London | 2x Brussels | Rotterdam |2x London
2009 New York | Cologne | Antwerp | Venice | Colmar | Barcelona | Las Vegas | San José
2010 Salzburg | 2x Sligo | Helsinki | 3x Ghent | Lille | 2x Las Vegas
2012 5x Ghent | 2x A'dam | Helsinki | Dublin | Verona | 3x Paris | Lisboa
2013 Paris | Antwerp | Oberhausen | Brussels | Pula | Rotterdam | Amsterdam | 2x Wellington | Auckland

Return to “THE FLAME - news and information”