EVENT POSTPONED

DanDevos

Re: EVENT POSTPONED

Post by DanDevos »

What a pity this is, indeed - I was looking forward to this, hoping to play.
I reckon, Maarten, that this has been a tough decision for you!
As for the plans for next year, I'd choose to keep the Hydra meetup in odd years. I'd be happy to play a set on the island of Hydra in spring 2021. Haven't asked my band yet if they would join, though... ;-)
Be well!
Janetld

Post by Janetld »

Hi Maarten, I would be happy with either 2021 or 2022.

2022 would enable Hydra and the walking weekend to continue as planned, but maybe 2021 would be easier logistically. At this stage I would have thought the venue/acts would be happier to arrange twelve months on if they could, rather than 24 months on. Another thought is that for those of us with hotels/travel booked 12 months on it may be possible to push these on twelve months too.

And whichever you choose I’m completely happy to leave my participation fee with you, and thank you so much for all you have done/are still doing.

Janet, x
harald

Post by harald »

Probably only previous organizers can imagine the amount of work, thoughts and nerves Maarten has already put in preparing for the event.
I feel very sorry for you, Maarten, that you had to make this decision. There was no alternative.

As for the future date for Ghent I think it best if a smaller group of organizers and moderaters decide.
Asked for my personal opinion, having in mind the implications on the Hydra Meetups and Walking Weekends I would think it best to stick to the established schedule, meaning Big Events in even years. But I will be happy with any decision.

Of course I want to contribute to all costs already occured. And no need to bargain too hard with artists.
The rest of my participation fee can well stay with Maarten for 2021 or 2022. And I am ready to add if necessary.

Would have loved to see you all this summer. Stay well.
1979 Kassel / 1980 Munich / 2008 Munich, Hamburg / 2009 Cologne, Antwerp, Lisbon, Budapest, Barcelona / 2010 Salzburg, Florence, Marseille, Stuttgart, Bratislava / 2012 Ghent, Berlin, Verona, Barcelona, Madrid, Lisbon / 2013 Paris, Mannheim, Rome, Prague, Pula, Zuerich, Amsterdam
2011 Haiger / 2014 Dublin / 2015 Hydra, Viladrau / 2016 Amsterdam / 2017 Hydra, Balaton / 2019 Yorkshire
ScottM

Post by ScottM »

Hi Maarten,

I hope this finds you and yours well.

I think you had no option but to take this difficult decision particularly given recent updates on the potential longevity of this pandemic. Its very disappointing for all concerned and no doubt even more so for you and the team.
Personally, I would think it best to stick to the established schedule with Hydra and walking weekend going ahead as scheduled, meaning the official event goes ahead in the next available even year 2022.
I can see that this view is not shared by all and not everyone will be satisfied by any decision, one way or another. I'm sure that you and the organisers of the other events will however have the support of us all in whatever decision you come to.

Keep safe,

Scott
2008: Dublin/London (O2)-Jul 17/London (O2)-Nov 13/London (RAH)/Brighton
2009: Liverpool/Madrid/Barcelona
2010: Sligo x2/Lille/Las Vegas x2
2012: Ghent/Amsterdam/London x2/Dublin Sep 11&12/Paris Sep 28
2013: London (O2) Jun 21/Brighton/Manchester/Cardiff/Birmingham/Amsterdam
pe swijngedouw

Post by pe swijngedouw »

Dear Maarten,
thanks for all the work you and your friends and family have done already ; i think that nothing is lost, and that we'll meet again, some other day.
I was looking forward to this, my first real "official event", so now i think it would be best for me, to mark this as a big gap in my calendar, "the big empty in 2020" ( no Kirina, John Prine, Nick Cave, Suzanne Vega, Paul Weller, Herman Van Veen, vreemde kostgangers ; maybe Randy Newman?) and see if i can make it to '22.
Don't worry about the money : paying money only hurts at the moment you do the payment - and when you think about what you're getting for it, it is just a very soft pain, nothing serious, compared to what is happening now.
So, hoping to see you some day again,
take good care of yourself and everyone around you
pe
... precisely ...
oblivion

Post by oblivion »

Dear Maarten & family,

tank you so much for everything you are doing!!!!
I think 2022 would be a good option, so we could follow the
tradition even years events
and uneven years Hydra and walking weekends.
But for me anything would be fine
Love, health & light
Ute
frankfurt+munic 1976; nuremberg 1988; lörrach, berlin, frankfurt+london 2008;
new york, cologne, venice, istanbul, prague + barcelona 2009
sligo, berlin, ghent, wiesbaden, strasbourg, marseille, hannover, dortmund, warsaw, las vegas 2010
ghent, helsinki, berlin, dublin, verona, paris...2012
oberhausen, mannheim, bruxelles, lucca, hamburg, odense, amsterdam...2013
JANETMARY

Post by JANETMARY »

Dear Marteen
Your decision to cancel this year's event was inevitable but I am so sorry for you and your team of organisers, I can only imagine how much hard work has gone into the planning.

I am more than happy to go along with whatever decision you make regarding the years to hold the events in Ghent and Hydra. Whichever is easier for you and the other organisers is fine with me. I am fortunate enough to be retired so am free to travel at any time. If I was being truly selfish I would love to have both events, Hydra and Ghent, next year. However, I know those who work may be less flexible with their dates and schedules.

Regarding my registration fees, please hang onto those and if prices increase let me know how much extra I owe you.

Where ever and when ever the events are held the most important thing right now is that you and everyone else stay safe and well.

Very many thanks and best wishes to you and your team of helpers.

Janet
FrancisM

Post by FrancisM »

Dear friends,

First of all, I want to stress what has been said already: thank you, Maarten, for all your efforts. It must have been a tough decision, but it was the right one, to postpone the 2020-event.

My (absolutely personal!) preference would be to schedule the event in 2021. An argument that has not been mentioned yet, is that 2021 will mark the 5th anniversary of Leonard Cohen's passing. I think that the fan community should not miss this moment to pay a nice tribute, and in my opinion the LC event is more appropriate for such a tribute than the Hydra-weekend.

However, I don't know if and to what extent the planning and organization of the Hydra-event has started already. This could of course also play a role in your decision.

All best for all of you!
Francis
Andrew (Darby)

Post by Andrew (Darby) »

Hi Maarten, it is indeed so sad the event needed to be postponed after all the hard work you’ve undertaken organising things thus far... we applaud you for that :!:

I’ve no particular preference re what year it should go ahead. I am never sure if I can make it to these events that are so far away from me and therefore quite costly to attend. :? However, once there’s a decision and planning resumes, please check in with me again, because if I’m able to attend, I would be more than happy to organise and emcee the Open Mic segment, as I’ve done in the past. 8)

Cheers,
Andrew :)
'I cannot give the reasons
I only sing the tunes
The sadness of the seasons
The madness of the moons'
~ Mervyn Peake ~
mutti

Post by mutti »

Sorry you have had to postpone the event this summer Maarten and all involved (Nele, your parents)...
It is a wise decision as who knows how long this is going to last.
I was not able to come this summer but hope to come when you do have it whatever year that is.
Thanks for organizing it and all the work you have done so far.
Look forward to seeing you again one day down the road.
Stay well and take good care of yourself.
Much love Leslie 8)
1988 Vancouver
2009 Victoria/Seattle/Almost Red Rocks/Las Vegas/San Jose.
2010 Sligo x 2/Victoria/Vancouver/Portland/Las Vegas x 2.
2012 Austin x 2/Seattle/Vancouver/Montreal x 2.
2013 Oakland x 2/New York City x 2/Winnipeg...
howlinpa

Post by howlinpa »

Thanks for all that great work on our behalf Maarten ... absolutely the right call ...

Like the Johnny Logan Eurovision Song Contest winner of many years ago “What’s Another Year?”, (sorry, couldn’t think of a LC reference), we’ll all just have to get together next year ... or whenever we can.

I’ll watch for updates ...

Stay safe everyone

Patrick
Joe Way

Post by Joe Way »

Dear Maarten,
Thank you for all your hard work. So sorry it has come to this but completely agree. We will certainly try to attend either time, and please keep our registration fees for the next time.

All the best,

Joe & Anne
"Say a prayer for the cowboy..."
lonndubh

Post by lonndubh »

Hi Maarten and all.
Thank you for all your time and energy on this years event and no surprises that you had to make this decision.
I will live on memories of all the wonderful events we have had up to this time .
Whatever you all decide re next date is fine with me as I will be overjoyed to be planning for any event :)
My fee can stay in the account as I know there will be expenses to be paid from this time.
LC love to all ❤️
Brid
ScottM

Post by ScottM »

FrancisM wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 6:55 pm Dear friends,

First of all, I want to stress what has been said already: thank you, Maarten, for all your efforts. It must have been a tough decision, but it was the right one, to postpone the 2020-event.

My (absolutely personal!) preference would be to schedule the event in 2021. An argument that has not been mentioned yet, is that 2021 will mark the 5th anniversary of Leonard Cohen's passing. I think that the fan community should not miss this moment to pay a nice tribute, and in my opinion the LC event is more appropriate for such a tribute than the Hydra-weekend.

However, I don't know if and to what extent the planning and organization of the Hydra-event has started already. This could of course also play a role in your decision.

All best for all of you!
Francis
--------------------

Although it is a nice thought to acknowledge 5 years of Leonard's passing, by this reasoning the event should never have been planned to take place in August 2020 at all. If we make a decision based on this criterion we should have waited until November 2021 to "pay tribute" to the 5 year anniversary of Leonard's loss at the official LC event. What would we have done this year, had the event gone ahead as scheduled; pay tribute to a 4 year anniversary or rather, as the event takes place in August, 3 years and 9 months anniversary to be more precise? I disagree that this reasoning provides any additional justification for scheduling the event for 2021. I think that we all will acknowledge, in our own way, each anniversary of Leonard's passing. I'm sure that the organisers of both events will get it right and, depending on health and finances, look forward to participating in both events regardless of the schedule.

Stay safe everyone.

Scott
2008: Dublin/London (O2)-Jul 17/London (O2)-Nov 13/London (RAH)/Brighton
2009: Liverpool/Madrid/Barcelona
2010: Sligo x2/Lille/Las Vegas x2
2012: Ghent/Amsterdam/London x2/Dublin Sep 11&12/Paris Sep 28
2013: London (O2) Jun 21/Brighton/Manchester/Cardiff/Birmingham/Amsterdam
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Dear Maarten and Co. ~

I thought for sure that by the time I reached the end of this thread, a decision as to year would have been announced, but not so the case.

Thank you from me, as well, on the tremendous amount of work that all of you have already done to make the Ghent Event a great success. I know it's painful to postpone; yet, from my perspective, it clearly became a given, once COVID-19 became so prevalent throughout the world. The projections remain highly uncertain as to true containment of it. It will reportedly be a miracle if an effective vaccine is available to the public prior to the 1.5-year mark. Cures remain uncertain, as well, due to the highly unpredictable nature of the courses this disease takes, with no unassailable standards as to impact by age or even underlying conditions. Boris Johnson is certainly not a healthy specimen, yet he made it out of ICU and the hospital, and is taking the disease far more seriously now.

All of that is to say that as I look ahead, I can't even be confident that 2021 will work for the Hydra and Walking Weekend, much less the Ghent Event. Even the smaller two may end up having to be postponed, as well. Projections for long-term planning are tenuous, at best, according to the medical experts.

From my perspective, again, I would hate for all of you to go through all of the reorganization required for "Ghent 2021," only to have to postpone it all over again. If need be, postponing the Hydra gathering and the Walking Weekend would be far less labour intensive. My feeling, however, is that the organizers and planned participants for them would appreciate having their plans remain in place, if at all possible. If they do go forth, they offer two gathering opportunities for those who feel that 2022 is too long to wait for the next Event. Having participated in both of the smaller ones, I can attest that they, too, are exquisitely satisfying.

I have an emotional attachment to the Even years for the major Events, and the off years for the smaller ones. It feels more graceful, as well as practical, to simply move it to 2022.

I'm also not sure how people's livelihoods have already been impacted, or may yet be impacted, and the extra time for reorganizing budgets and covering expenses could be very welcome. Even those already retired may have family who need financial help, due to COVID. Many businesses have already lost revenue and who knows how many will continue to and to major levels. Prices on everything from flights and lodging to meals, et al, including your own performers and venues, may be higher, as they try to recoup some of their own losses. That, of course, represents higher total costs for us, as well. The additional year may give people a chance to 'normalize' financially *and* emotionally.

Our world has been thrust into a paradigm shift. All of our safety must come first, and you have already taken the wise first step to ensure that. As for me, personally, I can fairly easily predict that I will not feel comfortable entering crowded airports and boarding cramped planes with people from all over the world by next year. My trips overseas involve MANY takeoffs and landings and mostly long waiting periods in airport terminals. Even upon reaching my final destination, public forms of crowded transportation are a given... atop crowded sidewalks, restaurants, and attractions... and then there are the 200-250 of us, with a whole lot of loving physical closeness, touching of things and each other, talking, laughing, whispering, shouting, hugging, singing, and European kissing. And then there's the inevitable cough, sneeze, and nose blow... just because. And so much remains unknown about this virus.

My trust as far as the U.S. brain trust goes is wholly in Dr. Anthony Fauci [who was also the leading epidemiologist at the forefront of the AIDS epidemic, as well], and I sincerely think that, at minimum, the strong recommendation for social distancing will still be in place by the summer of 2021. A Second Wave, even deadlier, is a distinct possibility, even before this First Wave has finished. Barack and Michelle 'gave' us the fist bump. Zen has given us the prayerful hands and bow. By 2022, I'll be ready for a good, old-fashioned hug in an atmosphere of open-hearted safety vs. fear.

It will always be easier for those in your region of the world to attend anything in Europe. When I give you my personal preferences, I'm just editorializing. They're not intended to be a factor in your decision. Far more participants do not have the complex travel requirements that I do. Others may or may not resonate with my concerns.

On the financial aspect, 2020's being postponed changes everything. Since the Event is not happening in 2020, please take what you need now to get you through this disorienting upending of your meticulous plans. If it ends up scheduled for 2021, and I feel safe enough to attend, please kee my fee in your account, and apply it to what's required for then :D , and any additional costs due to all this I will pay then, as well. If it ends up scheduled for 2021, and I don't feel safe enough to attend, please keep the whole of my fee, without any thought of a refund, regardless of time-frame percentages. A contribution for and to the good of the cause. You've worked too hard and been through too much, as it is, already. If it ends up scheduled for 2022, and I feel safe enough to attend (far more likely than for 2021), everything I wrote here regarding 2021, I'd like to apply to 2022, as well. Thanks, Maarten. :D

Finally, as a segue to ending this post, the Even years for Events is a lovely tradition that I would love to see remain in place. That, in itself, would allow a continuing sense of normalcy within our Cohen family and community. Many prayers for everyone's safety.

Much love, and all the best,
Lizzie
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde

Return to “The Leonard Cohen Event 2020 in Ghent, Belgium - RESCHEDULED TO 2022”