Montreal tribute: media coverage, photos & YouTube links

The Tower of Song Tribute Concert, the MAC Exhibition, Leonard Cohen Murals, Leonard's Grave, City Tour for our Members
MarieM

Re: Montreal tribute: media coverage, photos & YouTube links

Post by MarieM »

Posted on Facebook by Lisa:

WLRN in South Florida has scheduled it for Saturday night, June 2nd at 10:00 PM. (It being the Tower of Song tribute concert)

UPDATE: Here is the information from the American Public Television network. You can check if the broadcast is coming soon in your area. It looks like the network has the broadcast rights until 6/30/2020. So, it might be awhile for some of us. It seems this broadcast is only 1 hour long.

https://www.aptonline.org/catalog/LEONA ... ER-OF-SONG
Marie
Speaking Cohen
bigdee

Post by bigdee »

In the USA PBS has an "Exclusive" DVD release of the concert that they are giving away as a thank you gift if you make a donation of $120.00 which can be paid all at once or spread out over 12 monthly payments of $10.00 The description of it says it has bonus footage of LC in Greece, a 1960s interview segment, and unreleased performance footage from Dublin and New Zealand. Here a link to the listing for it on a PBS station local to Philadelphia PA: https://www.callswithoutwalls.com/pledg ... rce=#/home
The top of the page lists it as a featured gift for $19 a month that also comes with the CD/DVD set of the Dublin concert but you can get the Tower of Song DVD gift alone for a $10 a month gift which is listed on page 12
1993: Philadelphia July 15 2008: Montreal June 23,24,25 2009: NYC Feb 19/ Columbia May 11/ Philadelphia May 12/ Waterbury May 14/ NYC May 16,17/ Boston May 29,30/ Philadelphia Oct 22/ NYC Oct 23/ Cleveland Oct 25 2010: Vegas Dec 10,11 2012: Boston Dec 15,16/ NYC Dec 18,20 2013: NYC Apr 6,7
MarieM

Post by MarieM »

FYI: I saw a tweet tonight which complimented Rex Sexsmith's version of Suzanne during the PBS broadcast of the Tower of Song tribute concert. The two hour telecast on CBC a few months back did not include Rex Sexsmith. So it's possible this one-hour version has some different material.
Marie
Speaking Cohen
HugoD

Post by HugoD »

As far as I can see it can only be delivered to the USA or Canada. If there is a way of the DVD to be delivered outside USA/Canada please let me know.
Lille 2010, Dublin 2012, Mannheim 2013, Rotterdam 2013, Montréal 2017
Happiness is just the side effect of a meaningful life.
brightnow

Post by brightnow »

Not sure if this has been posted before, an 88-minute documentary including significant parts of the concert available for free: https://vimeo.com/250005435
Columbia May 11, 2009; Boston May 29, 2009; Durham November 3, 2009; Las Vegas December 10 & 11, 2010; Austin November 1, 2012; Boston December 15, 2012; Brooklyn December 20, 2012
Marino

Post by Marino »

Mimi Lela wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2017 1:22 am
WiTS wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2017 2:34 pm I listened to CBC2 this morning in Beijing and (of course) recorded the 2-hour special programme. My ears tell me that the concert is speechless beautiful. My eyes are looking forward to CBC tele on 3 Jan, 2018.

PS: Anyone who went to live have got good memory to write down the whole setlist? Thx
Hello there WiTS,

Below you can find the setlist...Enjoy!!!
Mimi

Set 1

Dance Me to the End of Love - Sting
Hey, That’s No Way to Say Goodbye - Feist
Who By Fire - Patrick Watson
I’m Your Man - Sharon Robinson
Democracy - The Lumineers
Prime Minister Justin Trudeau and his wife Sophie
Suzanne - Ron Sexsmith
The Future - Elvis Costello
Famous Blue Raincoat - Damien Rice
So Long Marianne - Adam Cohen & The Webb Sisters
Hallelujah - k.d. lang

Set 2

Tower of Song - Choir & Video
Sisters of Mercy - Sting
Chelsea Hotel No. 2 - Lana Del Rey & Adam Cohen
Secret Life - Bettye Lavette
Everybody Knows - Courtney Love
Field Commander Cohen (poem) - Seth Rogen
If It Be Your Will - BØrns & The Webb Sisters
The Partisan - Adam Cohen, Coeur de Pirate, Damien Rice
Anthem - Sting
You Want It Darker - Congregation Shaar Hashomayim Choir & Orchestra
Coming Back to You - Adam Cohen & Basia Bulat
Closing Time - Basia Bulat
Hi, Mimi and felows,
Does someone know why some songs did not appear in that video on YouTube? And why the DVD is not on sale?
Excuse me, but I´m so far away - in Brazil - and it was impossible to be in Canada to see the concert...
Regards,
Robocop

Post by Robocop »

Well I've watched all the You tube videos of this Memorial concert. Certainly doesn't look like it will ever be released on DVD or Blueray. Although its a mixed bag of performances its definitely worth owning. KD Lang does an incredible performance along with others. It seems the current management of LC feel Youtube is good enough as do many other musicians these days. Mark Knopfler's current world tour is in the same camp with unofficial performances filmed live in concert available on Youtube. Mark has not released any live performance video recordings since "Real Live Roadrunning" with Emmylou Harris some 13 years ago. We are thankful that Leonard did release live video when he was alive.

All round disappointing especially for those unable to attend these great concerts.

Robert
stfa

Post by stfa »

Agreed - the CBC tv show probably bootlegged by now was excellent but missed some key moments - especially Sharon Robinson filling in at the last minute to do I'm Your Man - she was awesome! and Sting doing Anthem should have been the finale!
Hamilton Place April 1993, O'Keefe Toronto July 1993, Center in the Square Kitchener June 2nd 2008, Hamilton Place June 3rd 2008, Copps Coliseum, Hamilton May 19th 2009, Labatt's London May 24th 2009, ACC Toronto December 4th & 5th 2012, Labatts London Dec 11th 2012 Copps Coliseum Hamilton April 9 2013 Tower of Song, Centre Bell November 6th 2017
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Not having Sharon's performance included is just unspeakably wrong.
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
stfa

Post by stfa »

Here is one of the two missing gems from the Montreal tribute concerts, part of beginning is missing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Ot4Cxms4zo
Hamilton Place April 1993, O'Keefe Toronto July 1993, Center in the Square Kitchener June 2nd 2008, Hamilton Place June 3rd 2008, Copps Coliseum, Hamilton May 19th 2009, Labatt's London May 24th 2009, ACC Toronto December 4th & 5th 2012, Labatts London Dec 11th 2012 Copps Coliseum Hamilton April 9 2013 Tower of Song, Centre Bell November 6th 2017

Return to “Montreal Memorial Week, November 2017”