I left a woman waiting - Death of a Ladies Man

General discussion about Leonard Cohen's songs and albums
Megitz

Re: I left a woman waiting - Death of a Ladies Man

Post by Megitz »

I left a woman waiting
I just discovered this site and the discussion of this song which I really had not heard for probably 25 years. (!)
After reading all of the thoughts, I have a slightly different take on the song beyond being simply vicious.i think it is an amazing arrangement but it ends rather abruptly. Which is akin to the end of the relationship so that kind of makes sense. I have two theories:
1:
I think the woman and the protagonist (LC) were clearly “involved.” However as LC tended to be a romantic and perhaps given to dalliances, I am speculating that maybe he strayed and left the woman “waiting” and she was hurt and wounded. This could account for her appearance. Alternatively she may have been vengeful and caustic which might explain her loss of beauty in a broader sense (not simply physical)
2:
The other —and perhaps more likely— scenario is that the two of them went to bed with “someone” and based upon that tarnished encounter he viewed her differently as she did as well. I think the song reflects hurt and may be a way of saying that they had to go their separate ways. I do not think (as someone said) that they went to bed after the meeting where she commented on his eyes and he on her loss of beauty. I don’t know but since he tends to be deep and was known for his sexual curiosity... I guess we will never know.
Patrick Hasselbank

Re: I left a woman waiting - Death of a Ladies Man

Post by Patrick Hasselbank »

Megitz wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 2:37 pm I left a woman waiting
I just discovered this site and the discussion of this song which I really had not heard for probably 25 years. (!)
After reading all of the thoughts, I have a slightly different take on the song beyond being simply vicious.i think it is an amazing arrangement but it ends rather abruptly. Which is akin to the end of the relationship so that kind of makes sense. I have two theories:
1:
I think the woman and the protagonist (LC) were clearly “involved.” However as LC tended to be a romantic and perhaps given to dalliances, I am speculating that maybe he strayed and left the woman “waiting” and she was hurt and wounded. This could account for her appearance. Alternatively she may have been vengeful and caustic which might explain her loss of beauty in a broader sense (not simply physical)
2:
The other —and perhaps more likely— scenario is that the two of them went to bed with “someone” and based upon that tarnished encounter he viewed her differently as she did as well. I think the song reflects hurt and may be a way of saying that they had to go their separate ways. I do not think (as someone said) that they went to bed after the meeting where she commented on his eyes and he on her loss of beauty. I don’t know but since he tends to be deep and was known for his sexual curiosity... I guess we will never know.
Second theory is more interesting to be real, but if we will never know it will be wonderful to discover our own thoughts on this masterpice of LC.

Return to “Leonard Cohen's music”