When,Where,And What Was The First LC Song You Heard?

General discussion about Leonard Cohen's songs and albums
mr.midnight

"How" did you discover the music of Leonard Cohen??

Post by mr.midnight » Tue Jun 09, 2009 2:01 am

This might be enjoyable for you...

I'm sure you all have a special or interesting story about how or when you discovered his music.
As I'm sure there are stories or situations behind his music, I'm sure there are just as many for those who listen to it.
I'll try to write mine tonight when I'm more mellowed out and have more time on my hands.

"So the great affair is over but whoever would have guessed
it would leave us all so vacant and so deeply unimpressed."
Stamatina

Re: "How" did you discover the music of Leonard Cohen??

Post by Stamatina » Tue Jun 09, 2009 1:07 pm

I think I have already posted the story somewhere else, but here it is.

My father had the song Dance Me To The End Of Love on his computer when I was ten years old and I liked it very much when I heard it, so for a short period (had to be less than a month) I kept listening to it again and again. Note that back in these times my English didn't allow me to understand anything but the title, but I didn't care, the music was enough for me to like it.
Anyway, at some point I had probably got bored of it or something, because I stopped listening to it. And I don't recall listening to it again, till last November (or December was it?), when I heard it on the radio. I downloaded it and started listening to it again, posting lyrics everywhere and stuff and then a friend of mine sent me Suzanne saying something like "a little more Cohen". Then he sent me few other songs and I started seeking for more. So, I downloaded all of the studio albums (no, I'm not ashamed to say it, because I have already started bying the originals one by one) and I got stuck.
The end. :razz:
"Oh chosen love, Oh frozen love
Oh tangle of matter and ghost
Oh darling of angels, demons and saints
And the whole broken-hearted host
Gentle this soul..."
mr.midnight

Post by mr.midnight » Tue Jun 09, 2009 4:43 pm

That's a good story to read.

I remember my mom listening to Leonard Cohen for a brief amount of time in the late 70's when I was about 5, like a lot of things, L.C was just a phase to her but I barley remember hearing Master Song from another room and even though I didn't ask, she said "That was Leonard Cohen, it's really miserable music", that description caught my attention though I didn't fully know what the word miserable meant it just seemed really "serious" to me, like a song that could make a child stop playing with his toys and be still, it sort of had that affect on me. This memory is really a blur but I try to hold onto it and the only other thing I remember was that she had the picture that's on the back of 'Songs Of', the woman in flames, either in a picture frame or under a clear glass coffee table.
Years later I got to hear master song and I remembered it again, but I didn't think I would like much more of Leonard's music so I forgot about it for years and put off buying an album or two of his.
Then, this memory popped into my head again for a split second, so I decided to look up a bunch of his lyrics on the internet a couple years ago because over the years I heard he was a great writer and I was totally blown away when I read them!
A few months ago, I started wondering what the music sounded like so I started listening to dozens and dozens of youtube clips of his songs and interviews and then I started buying his LP's, I even bought a songbook and started playing a lot of the songs. Over the past couple months, I have tried recommending L.C's music to a couple friends and I tell them "read the lyrics first and then the music after".

It's really weird telling this story because I haven't told this to anyone but figure if I can't say it here, then I can't say it anywhere.

LisaLCFan

Post by LisaLCFan » Tue Jun 09, 2009 6:53 pm

I first discovered Leonard Cohen's music at a friend's place, in the late Eighties. My friend and I often sat around listening to music, and one day he said he'd got a new album, and it was "I'm Your Man." So we listened to it, and I was totally mesmerized and instantly smitten by the voice, the lyrics, the music. It was the most amazing album I'd ever heard, so different from anything I had ever come across. Of course, the next day I went out and got my own copy, and the store also had "The Best of Leonard Cohen," so I bought that, too. As soon as I got home, I played "Best Of" and was shocked, but also delighted, to hear folk music coming from the speakers! I eventually got all of his albums (plus most of his books), and I have not stopped listening to Leonard Cohen since that first time about 20 years ago.
TheSpice-BoxOfEarth

Post by TheSpice-BoxOfEarth » Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:34 pm

It was last end of autumn and here in Finland has "Idols 2008" and of course I watched that entertainig format. A young competitor named Anna Puustjärvi sings "Hallelujah" very beutifully in semifinals (or was it in semifinals, I`m not sure, I don`t remember anymore, but that`s not important ;-) ) and I really loved it. So next day I went to Youtube and searched the original version, so Cohen`s. It was a music video where Leonard sings in front of props that resemble Colosseum. In refrains a choir appears from scenery and sings with him. "How slimy ugly man and how odd voice", I thought first :oops: but when I had listened to the song a couple of time I started like Leonard`s look and voice. So few days later when I was bored I wrote to the Youtube Search name "Leonard Cohen" and I watched the videos "Everybody Knows, First We Take Manhattan and Dance Me to the End of Love. I didn`t understand the lyrics but the voice had started to fascinate me. I listened those songs from time to time until Christmas when I got my very first music player. I wasn`t of interest about music in those days, so when I thought what songs I`d like to download I invented nothing but Cohen. So I downloaded songs "Everybody knows, First We Take Manhattan (old familiars), Closing Time and Lover, Lover, Lover ( the names sounded interesting) and that night I lied in my bed headphones in my ears and listenend to those masterpieces. I was totally mesmerized! The raspy, deep voice forced to my bones and meats and I just lied without movement and my skin was on goose bumbs. I listened those songs night after nights and little by little I started to find out the lyrics and download more songs now from CDs`of library. Time proceeded and now I am here, in love with Leonard Cohen´s song and even more with his wisdom. And if I don`t try to be as humble as Leonard (now I know that he isn`t slimy ;-) ) I will brag that I am walking encyclopedia of Leonard`s life. I don`t dare to imagine live without Leonard Cohen, my life situaton is very hard and he is often the only reason that I have enough strengt for going on.

Oh, this was silly and useless story but this is how I discovered the music of Leonard Cohen.
A cross on every hill
A star, a minaret
So many graves to fill
O love, aren’t you tired yet?

- The Faith, Leonard Cohen
LisaLCFan

Post by LisaLCFan » Tue Jun 09, 2009 11:16 pm

Hi The Spice-Box of Earth,

Your story is very funny and delightful! It was interesting to read about how, as you grew to appreciate Leonard Cohen and his art, your perceptions of him changed so drastically! You know the saying, "beauty is in the eye of the beholder," well, your story really conveys that! I'm glad that you came to see his beauty!
John Etherington

Post by John Etherington » Wed Jun 10, 2009 12:51 am

We've done this one before here, but let's do it again! I bought the CBS sampler album "The Rock Machine Turns You On" just before Christmas 1968. I loved the whole album...it included artists I already admired (Dylan, Byrds, Simon and Garfunkel) and others I'd never heard (Moby Grape, Spirit, The Peanut Butter Conspiracy etc). However, it was last track on the album that touched my soul like nothing ever before - "Sisters of Mercy" by Leonard. I kept playing it throughout that Christmas. There was no looking back, and I became a devotee for life. In early 1969, I bought "Songs From a Room" at the time of its release, and very soon after "Songs of Leonard Cohen". I also went to Foyles and bought "Selected Poems" which had just been released in hardcover. In May 1970, I was lucky enough to see Leonard's first appearance at the Royal Albert Hall. Subsequently, I've bought every album and book by Leonard at the time of its release, and have never missed a UK tour. Ironically, I think I originally saw Leonard singing "Stranger Song" on the Julie Felix show when it was first broadcast. However, I thought he sounded really dreary at the time, and forgot all about it until long after I had purchased "The Rock Machine Turns You On"!

Al good things, John E
mr.midnight

Post by mr.midnight » Thu Jun 11, 2009 12:31 pm

That's really an interesting story, John. I am glad that L.C's music has stood the test of time for you, it's something (sort of) new to me and I hope it stays that way too. I didn't know there was a topic on this forum similar to this one already. :oops:

Yorkshire Lad

Post by Yorkshire Lad » Mon Jun 15, 2009 5:02 pm

I can remember the moment I discovered the music of Leonard Cohen . I had arrived home after working an afternoon shift so the time would be around 10.30pm . As was sometimes the case my wife had gone to bed and I stayed up to unwind a little usually with a small brandy . As I sipped on the brandy I was flicking through the TV channels with the remote when there in front of me was this charismatic man dressed in a smart suit stood infront of a cadillac . At that point these unbelievable lyrics came across the room to me " They have sentenced me to twenty years of boredom
For trying to change the system from within "............ from that defining moment in my life I was hooked . I think the program was called Horizon and they were doing an half hour documentry about Leonard to coincide with the release of the Im your man album . The day after i went out and bought it . The day after that I went and bought his back catalogue and as they say the rest is history . Am I glad I did not go straight to bed that evening and by the way the brandy I was drinking seemed to fit so well with his music
Not a very dramatic way to discover him but life changing all the same
manchester, london,manchester , a mountain in Wales ,hills in Haiger
Be content with a mistake or two. Perfection holds no compromise. It's a prison for perfect people .Where the flag of insanity flies
Stamatina

Post by Stamatina » Mon Jun 15, 2009 5:34 pm

liptrot wrote: Not a very dramatic way to discover him but life changing all the same
It doesn't have to be dramatic. Only the fact that it was Leonard Cohen whom you discovered makes the story special enough. :mrgreen:
Gentle this soul..."
MaryB

Post by MaryB » Mon Jun 15, 2009 8:46 pm

liptrot wrote:Not a very dramatic way to discover him but life changing all the same
They feeling is always dramatic and profound when one discovers LC :D !

Best regards,
Mary
1993 Detroit 2008 Kitchener June 2-Hamilton June 3 & 4-Vienna Sept 24 & 25-London RAH Nov 17 2009 NYC Feb 19-Grand Prairie Apr 3-Phoenix Apr 5-Columbia May 11-Red Rocks Jun 4-Barcelona Sept 21-Columbus Oct 27-Las Vegas Nov 12-San Jose Nov 13 2010 Sligo Jul 31 & Aug 1-LV Dec 10 & 11 2012 Paris Sept 30-London Dec 11-Boston Dec 16 2013 Louisville Mar 30-Amsterdam Sept 20
Yorkshire Lad

Post by Yorkshire Lad » Mon Jun 15, 2009 11:20 pm

Hi Stamatina and Mary B
That sentence was probably a bit over the top but I was trying to make the point that discovering Leonard can happen in the most mundane of circumstances and still be a life changing experience .
manchester, london,manchester , a mountain in Wales ,hills in Haiger
Be content with a mistake or two. Perfection holds no compromise. It's a prison for perfect people .Where the flag of insanity flies
seadove

How were you introduced to Leonard Cohen?

Post by seadove » Wed Jul 01, 2009 9:05 am

This can be an interesting thread, to learn how we boardies stumbled onto Lennie. ;-)

My story:

It was back in 1971. I was a very young lad. One day I got a phone call from an old school friend of mine living in London. He tells me that his cousin is coming to Israel, if I would care to entertain him a bit.

I muttered "shit". I'm going to be a nanny for a while. :( But I owed a lot to my cousin so I told him I would wait for his cousin in the airport when he arrives.

Well eventually he came. And I took him all over the country and he gave him shelter and food. He was quite a good, quiet type of chap, at first I was reluctant but then we both opened up a bit and we spent a lot of time In the Dead Sea area and in the Sea of Galillee.

One day he took out a long playing record out of his suitcase and asked me to play it. It was an odd looking singer with a look like he just woke up from sleep. The songs hit me one after the other. I got high at first with "Suzanne", "So long Marianne" and one particular song that stuck in my throat until this day. It's called "I loved you in the morning", and later on his whole repertoire was adopted by me for ever. There is never a song of LC that bores me. :D

As of that day..... I became a Leonard Cohen fan. ;-)

For evah!!!! :lol:
Stamatina

Re: How were you introduced to Leonard Cohen?

Post by Stamatina » Wed Jul 01, 2009 11:56 am

C'mon, we already have that thread! viewtopic.php?f=9&t=15265 :D
I like your story. ;-) :)
Gentle this soul..."
seadove

Re: How were you introduced to Leonard Cohen?

Post by seadove » Wed Jul 01, 2009 12:12 pm

Aghhhh! :roll:

Well doesn't matter. Another thread will not utilize more ozone from this earth. Lol. :lol:

Return to “Leonard Cohen's music”