When,Where,And What Was The First LC Song You Heard?

General discussion about Leonard Cohen's songs and albums
lazariuk

Post by lazariuk »

Beccka wrote:lazariuk, I had to Google the joke to get it. Just when I think my mind is hopelessly corrupt...
I guess I will have to imagine how you were going to finish that sentence.

... I find some soap to wash it clean again?
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Hi Beckka ~

They provide explanations of jokes on Google?? That would be such good news for me :wink: .

Your story of first hearing Leonard has got to be a prize winner... a small child looking for heroes in the seaweed in the first place... and then finding the real-life hero for her mother there. Then, he's your hero, at the time, making you the tape... and your hero now, as Dad. It's priceless. All of the images so beautiful.

If only your teacher could have appreciated the song for all that it is... and appreciated you for knowing it. I wonder if she came to appreciate it in the years since.

Thanks for sharing your story.

~ Lizzy
Beccka

Post by Beccka »

Manna: my nephew likes to sing Hallelujah, too, although he refers to it as "The Shrek Song." Sigh.

Lazariuk: I think it was something along the lines of, "Just when I think my mind is hopelessly corrupt, I stumble upon an innocent neuron. And then defile it." I've shared the joke with three people today.

Lizzytysh: you can find anything on Google! Apparently there are quite a few clueless folks about there. As for my teacher, I think she may have been just as offended by the verse about Christ as she was by the bits about naked bodies.
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

I love that joke! So glad Jack asked. Thanks for finishing it.

Oh, dear... it sounds like your teacher didn't really listen to the song, but heard 'key' words in something other than a hymn and took offense. Glad the child in you knew to not be deterred by her reaction 8) .

~ Lizzy
Manna

Post by Manna »

Oh yeah, I forgot it was in Shrek; was that Shrek 2? I don't know where Reyna learned the song now; I thought it was from one of the recordings that tumbles through my pod, but I guess the source doesn't matter so much. I remember when she was first learning it, she was singing something like, "Ageh-you-ah." So I had to teach her the word.

Chillins are great.
Beccka

Post by Beccka »

It was on the first soundtrack, but it got some radio play at the time, too. k.d. lang's version had some airplay for a while, but that might have been too new for your daughter to learn it.
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

. . . she was singing something like, "Ageh-you-ah." So I had to teach her the word.
Another sweet one... 8) . I wonder how many other children her age know its proper pronunciation.

~ Lizzy
John Etherington

First Leonard song

Post by John Etherington »

The first Leonard song that I heard consciously was "Sisters of Mercy" on "The Rock Machine Turns You On" (Christmas '68, when I was still living with my parents and sister in Streatham, London). I fell instantly in love with it, and it is still my favourite Leonard song. It is feasible however
that I heard Leonard sing "The Stranger Song" on the Julie Felix show. I didn't know who he was then, and probably thought it sounded very dreary. I also may have heard Noel Harrison's version of "Suzanne" and that didn't do anything for me either.
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

"The Rock Machine Turns You On" (Christmas '68 . . .
Hi John ~

Long time, no see. Good to see you.

Was the above a TV program or a TV special?

~ Lizzy
John Etherington

Hi Lizzy,
"The Rock Machine Turns You On" was a great CBS sampler album of largely "underground" music. It included the likes of Leonard, Dylan, The Byrds, Spirit, Moby Grape, and The United States of America.
All good things, John E
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

"The United States of America" :shock: !?! Was that a group?? [Of whom I've never heard... ] ~ Great sampler! I love the sampler deal that you folks have coming in the newspaper and on magazines! Great choices... ironically, the last one is the only I've never heard of... figures somehow, just not sure how :roll: .

Yes, All good things 8) ,
Lizzy :D
John Etherington

The USA

Lizzy - The United States of America were a band who recorded a woundrous track called "I Won't Leave My Wooden Wife for You, Sugar"!
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

:lol: :lol: I'm sorry, John... that title just makes me laugh... too many images :lol: :lol: .

~ Lizzy
Hero In The Seaweed

Post by Hero In The Seaweed »

I was in a Kmart one day in 1988 and saw a cassette of "Songs of Love and Hate" for $2. I'd heard, vaguely, of Leonard Cohen's name, and so I bought the tape. From the first few seconds of "Avalanche" I knew I'd hit upon something very powerful.
jammymulligan

First time I heard Leonard Cohen

Post by jammymulligan »

In my friends house,'70-'71 and her big hairy scary brother had arrived home unexpectedly. He play Songs of Love and Hate all the time..we were very taken with the line"Some very clever doctor went and sterlised the bitch"...very bold and we'd sing it in the playground.

Found out later the brother had deserted from the British Army and thats why he was so stressed...they never got him though!

Return to “Leonard Cohen's music”