Along the way... Discovering Leonard's albums

General discussion about Leonard Cohen's songs and albums
vlcoats

Re: Along the way... Discovering Leonard's albums

Post by vlcoats »

B4-

Thank you for the research on DITM! I knew there were many versions, although as mentioned not with the purity of the studio version, but I didn't realize how many. I have heard the Jamaican version on one of the recording our good friend Alan sent me, and although I like reggae, it seems to carefree for this song. It is amazing that the thread of this song transformed and was woven into Treaty. I really need to listen to Treaty some more.

I am getting boxes unpacked still and putting pictures up on walls. Here is a photo of my favorite. https://www.leonardcohenforum.com/downl ... w&id=19444
I have shared this collage on my Instagram with the caption "The light at the end of my tunnel..." because it is just that.

I am looking forward to getting back to my poetry reading and more listening time... and now YouTube! However, one of my character traits (good or bad) is being 'goal-oriented', which means I can't relax until I have things in their place and have begun construction on a small paddock for the donkeys. My nephew Shane, whom you have all met earlier in this thread is coming this weekend for 2 weeks, so there will be trips to the zoo and the beach to make time for too. One thing I insist on though, is that he read for an hour a day, and I always sit and read along with him... so I can look forward to that!

I have another somewhat Leonard-related goal this summer as well. I want to explore Zen. I can't say I am being led to that solely by Leonard, since it is something I have had in the back of my mind from time to time, as in "I wonder where that goes?", but I am not sure if I would have every been led to act on it without him. I know Jean has a good working knowledge of Zen and can answer some of my questions as I go. Have any of the others of you explored it? What I have learned so far is that it is not a religion.

Time to get back to work! So happy to hear from you! I almost feel normal again!
Vickie
Attachments
Leonard TOS Tribute.jpeg
vlcoats

Post by vlcoats »

"You kick off your sandals,
you shake out your hair,
it's torn where your dancing
it's torn everywhere.

It's torn on the right
and it's torn on the left
and it's torn in the centre,
which few can accept....."

This isn't a song, but it was speaking to me loud and clear two weeks ago when we found out that our landlord decided against letting us have the donkeys here after all. Some of you know this already as I have been sobbing on your shoulders through the mails. It left me feeling "torn in the centre". However, there was a silver lining as they (falsely) say there always is, and that is they agreed to let us out of our lease because of it. So after scouring the countryside in a hasty shopping trip, we found a home to buy here that DOES allow donkeys! We are still reeling from sticker shock after having been spoiled by Idaho housing price, and reeling from the prospect of yet another move, but if it passes all inspections, we will be moving into our new home Aug 10th, and bringing the donkeys home from Idaho soon after.

"...come gather the pieces,
all scattered and lost
the lie in what's holy,
the light in what's not"

(from the "come gather" lithograph)

I trust the rest of you have had a restful summer so far.

I have spoken to 4 lately and he again said how much he likes Steer Your Way. And it got me wondering if others get a Leonard song stuck in their minds from time to time and it becomes more important than the rest for awhile? And you can't help pick it apart and think about every line and wonder what he meant by that. I guess that's why Leonard sang, "You'll be hearing from me baby, long after I'm gone..." Right now, the song on my mind is Bird on the Wire. I am wondering, why did he say that he has tried to be free like that bird on the wire? Is he saying that he, the bird on the wire, and the drunk singing at midnight are all trying to be free? Or is he saying that he is trying be like the bird on the wire and the drunk singing at midnight because they already ARE free? I could see why he would consider a drunk as trying to be free by drinking until he is singing at midnight, but isn't a bird free regardless of where it is standing? Supposedly he wrote that song in Hydra right after electrical wires first came to the island, and he saw birds out his window on one. Maybe seeing them stopping there instead of just flying by made them seem less free to him? Anyway, see what I mean? Leonard just gets stuck in your head and makes you wonder about things. Lots of things.

Speaking of Hydra..... I can't believe I am saying this, but Dave and I are going next June!!!! Dave has never been to Europe so don't ask me how I talked him into Hydra for his one and possibly only trip over there! I told Alan and 4 that either Dave likes to indulge me even more than I thought he did, or he likes Leonard more than I thought he did. Maybe he figured out how attracted I am by his combination of the two! ;-) Anyway, by some miracle, we are going to Hydra. To those of you who have the good fortune to travel often and extensively, it may not seem that amazing, but to me, it borders on the unbelievable. We are going to try to squeeze in one other stop, just because with the cost of our new mortgage, I have doubts if we will ever be back (although I do hope to make another trip to Montreal). Anyway... I hope to see some of you there?

Meanwhile, in between unpacking from the last move and packing for the next move, I am finding time to finish Parasites of Heaven, and I know we are ALL looking forward to the release of The Flame.

I have another question before I go, didn't the book "I'm Your Man" by Simmons have an updated edition telling more of Leonard's story beyond the end of the original biography? If so, was it published here or only in England? Has anyone read the additional chapter or whatever she added?

Thank you again everyone! What a change Leonard has made in my life... with your help!

Vickie
joewalsh

Post by joewalsh »

Come-gather-web.jpg
Come-gather-web.jpg (23.56 KiB) Viewed 4091 times
Come-gather-web.jpg
Come-gather-web.jpg (23.56 KiB) Viewed 4091 times
I have a 2017 print november 6 numbered 160/300 with certificate of authenticity. I already have number 178 so I am looking to sell one but unsure on the price if anyone has any idea of how much and where is best to sell this item as it would be greatly appreciated.

thank you
vlcoats

Post by vlcoats »

Wow! If anyone had told me even 2 years ago that I would be traveling to an island in Greece that I had never even heard of before because of a man who was gone before I finally found him, I would have marvelled in the unpredicabality of life, and I also would have told them that they were crazy! But here we are, and there we will be! Say what you want about life, but one thing is for sure, it is one hell of a ride!

And now, not only am I going to Hydra, but I will be meeting up with my dear forum friends Curt and Alan there! I'm so happy and excited to know that you both will be there! The only thing that would make me happier is to hear that Bev and Jean are also going. Regarding Jean, I know he rarely leaves his horses, so if thai is the case, and Muhammed cannot go to Hydra, the mountain must go to Muhammed (or something like that). Alas however, Australia is not anywhere near Hydra, so I doubt if a side trip there is going to happen at least on this trip.

So Bev.... what do you say? I hear that Hydra is beautiful in June.

Yours, forever hopeful,
Vickie
its4inthemorning

Post by its4inthemorning »

Wow indeed!

I had the great pleasure of finally meeting Vickie in Montreal in 2017 after 22 months of conversation on this thread, but I never thought there was much chance I would ever meet the other regular contributors that made this place so enjoyable for so long. That will change in June when I finally get to meet Alan. So--Bev and Jean--any chance of making it 5 for 5?

When Vickie first said she had booked Hydra, I told her the chances of us attending were slim; I had mentioned Hydra to my wife, and she hardly seemed interested in the least. But, a seed had been planted (I can be devious that way). A week or so later Joann asked me when, exactly, the Hydra event was, which I took as a good sign, but only a tiny one. Then, lo and behold, last week I caught Joann on the computer looking at places to stay in Hydra. Game, set, match!

2010 DECEMBER 10 - CAESARS COLOSSEUM, LAS VEGAS / 2012 SEPTEMBER 28 - L'OLYMPIA, PARIS
2012 OCTOBER 3 - PALAU SANT JORDI, BARCELONA / 2012 DECEMBER 13 - K-ROCK CENTRE, KINGSTON
2013 APRIL 6 - RADIO CITY MUSIC HALL, NEW YORK CITY / 2013 JULY 9 - PIAZZA NAPOLEONE, LUCCA
2017 NOVEMBER 4-8 - MONTREAL "TOWER OF SONG" CELEBRATION - RIP, YOU GOT ME SINGING!
AlanM

Post by AlanM »

Hi Vickie and Curt,
We are all set with the only link missing in our plans being the ferry bookings to and from Hydra.
I believe they will not be open for a few months.
Having just finished reading my copy of The Flame, I am now engrossed in Half the Perfect World.
That should be a good "primer" for getting to know Hydra.

See you (youse = y'all) on Hydra!!

Alan
Too much Leonard Cohen is never enough.
London 1972, Adelaide 1980, 1985, 2009
Sydney 2010; Adelaide 2010
Sydney 2013 X2; Melbourne 2013; Adelaide 2013
B4real

Post by B4real »

Ah, Vickie and Curt, unfortunately it’s not just my fear of flying, a major obstacle in itself, that is preventing me from going to Hydra. These days I simply don’t have the confidence, including health reasons, to travel long distances here or overseas alone anymore. No one locally can make the journey with me - I have tried to no avail but I am still trying. Nevermind, you know my heart and spirit will be with everyone if I can’t get there. If that turns out to be so, I’m sure you will let me know what a great time you all had! I want many photos!

Speaking of The Flame, I’m in the wrong thread here but as Alan knows, I ordered it from a local part time second hand shop and it turned out to be less expensive than buying it online. But I had to spell LC’s name many times before they got it correct so I hope it does arrive and the price of the book still stands, ha!

But an interesting thing happened while I was in the shop. Something made me browse in the very, very small Poetry section when a name caught my eye - Frederico Garcia Lorca. Most unexpected to come across that in such an unlikely place! Looking through his poetry book, another familiar name appeared, “Little Viennese Waltz” which had both original Spanish and an English version as do all the poems in the book. Impulsively, I bought it for $5 :)

Poet-in-New-York-fr-cover.jpg
Poet-in-New-York-bk-cover.jpg

This book was published in 1940 after Lorca's death. Of course Leonard has read it and it’s not the one he first stumbled upon in that bookshop in Montreal (no Arch of Elvira in it, ha!) but the circumstances are oddly similar although it won’t change the course of my life as it did with Leonard ;-)
It doesn't have to be perfect, it just has to B4real ~ me
Attitude is a self-fulfilling prophecy ~ me ...... The magic of art is the truth of its lies ~ me ...... Only left-handers are in their right mind!
Jean Fournell

Post by Jean Fournell »

Well, as Vickie already pointed out, I rarely leave my horses. With "rarely" meaning: I leave them for something like a few hours per week, when it can't be helped.
But then I'm sure I'll get firsthand reports from Vickie and Dave on their way north.

B4real wrote: But I had to spell LC’s name many times before they got it correct
Yes, that's comprehensible. Such a difficult name, too! So many different letters and all, and on top of it two of them being capitals how on earth is anybody supposed to get such an exotic thing right at all!
Hope you do get the book… but I found this really funny.

My Spanish is very poor (I'm not halfway through Alberto Manzano's "Leonard Cohen y el zen" yet), but this bilingual "Poet in New York" might make it onto my list one day…

Take care, all

... for a while
... for a little while...

(Just a filthy beggar blessing / What happens to the heart)
its4inthemorning

Post by its4inthemorning »

Bev and Jean, you're not giving the responses I was hoping for...but it is still early, so I am keeping my fingers crossed.

Bev, I read in the poetry section that you have been reticent about reading The Flame. Same here, I paged through it very briefly, but then set it aside, putting off the inevitable finality of reading his last words; at some point I suppose I will be ready.

Jean, we are still trying to map out our Hydra trip, and will be incorporating a stay in either southern France or Italy when all is said and done. If we wind up in southern France, would love to meet you and visit briefly.

Since this is the music thread, I will mention a surprising occurrence. Some time ago a generous forum member sent me a number of concert CDs from the 1980s and 1990s, I have been using them for driving music on longer trips. Well, last week we were facing a few hours in the car, so I brought along the CD for Leonard's 1988 concert in Montreal--and we were both totally disappointed. The tempo of many/most of the arrangements was excruciatingly slow, far, far different to the renditions on the albums or in shows that we had seen. And some of the arrangements were downright weird. There were a few exceptions, but all in all, this would not have been a memorable concert to me. I tried to research a bit, but couldn't find much out there about the 1988 tour, so I do not know if this was just an anomaly. Or perhaps I've just been spoiled by the exceptional quality of the shows on Leonard's last tours.

2010 DECEMBER 10 - CAESARS COLOSSEUM, LAS VEGAS / 2012 SEPTEMBER 28 - L'OLYMPIA, PARIS
2012 OCTOBER 3 - PALAU SANT JORDI, BARCELONA / 2012 DECEMBER 13 - K-ROCK CENTRE, KINGSTON
2013 APRIL 6 - RADIO CITY MUSIC HALL, NEW YORK CITY / 2013 JULY 9 - PIAZZA NAPOLEONE, LUCCA
2017 NOVEMBER 4-8 - MONTREAL "TOWER OF SONG" CELEBRATION - RIP, YOU GOT ME SINGING!
vlcoats

Post by vlcoats »

So good to hear from everyone!

Alan, I am also looking forward to the ferry tickets opening up. I'm a little nervous about that part of the trip, because I'm not sure about getting from Athens to Hydra, but I'm sure it will all work out.

I am also looking forward to reading Half the Perfect World. I have it on my "want' list for the holidays. I haven't started The Flame yet, because I am still on Death of a Lady's Man and have a couple others to read in between I think ;-)

B4, I am still holding out hope that we will see you in Hydra, and I hope you continue to do the same!

Your poetry book by Lorca looks very interesting! I also visited a used book store recently and perused the shelves for Leonard-related books. It was called Powell's and is a well known landmark in the city of Portland Oregon. They say it is the largest used book store in the world. It is huge and would take hours to really explore it all. They have a rare books room on the top floor where they have a first edition of The Book of Mercy. I did not purchase it because it was out of my price range, however if it had been signed by Leonard, I would have put it on the credit card for sure. So I guess Dace was glad it was not! I did buy a used advance reading copy of Matters of Vital Interest by Eric Lerner who knew Leonard from their shared time on Mt. Baldy.

To bring the conversation back to music, Dave and I went to see Rufus Wainwright at the beginning of this month. He was playing in a small theater in downtown Portland, and we had seats in the back, but they were still awesome. I was disappointed that he did not play Hallelujah, however he did talk about Leonard as he introduced one of his songs, saying that Leonard had looked upon the song with favor. And if course, I cannot now recall what song it was!

I am currently going through the studio albums one at a time from the beginning again, I'm istening to them a few times through for a week or 2 each. I am on New Skin for the Old Ceremony. Current favorite is Who By Fire, although I have to say that I love the intros and beginning of the live versions of the song a bit more.

Curt, I am so glad Joann agreed to Hydra! We really enjoyed both of you in Montreal. I rarely am comfortable meeting new people, but we already had so much in common, at least the important things, that it was easy!

Jean, Dave and I both are looking forward to our very quick stopover in your area. In fact, we shared a bottle of rose' from the area with our Thanksgiving meal in honor of our upcoming trip!

Again, so good to hear from everyone!
Vickie

Edited to add... I see that 4 and I must have been online at the same time. I have also wondered the same regarding a couple of the live performances I have heard here and there. Of course, I would be happy to have a memory of him just standing there playing the jews harp!
Jean Fournell

Post by Jean Fournell »

♫ Who says "maybe one day"
on an internet site,
but then orders the book
the very same night… ♫

It's not the same bilingual edition, B4, but Bookdepository.com had Federico García Lorca's "Poet in New York" for 8,65 € (with free delivery), and that settled it. Should arrive just before the holidays.

Yes, 4, if it fits into your plans, absolutely do come by!
(I'm sending you an email.)

Vickie, I hope you enjoyed the wine! This is far from being the best wine producing region, but some stuff is quite acceptable...

... for a while

vlcoats

Post by vlcoats »

Hello again,

OK fine... B4 and Jean... you have encouraged me to finally order a Lorca book! Mine is coming from the UK through the Abe Books site I use. I will let you know what it looks like when I get it.

I also need to apologize for all of the typos in my previous post. We are now in the metropolitan area of Portland, Oregon and no longer in the sticks of Idaho, however we have been without internet access for 2 days. Not sure if the term for that is ironic or something else, but it's certainly annoying! Anyway, I am using my cell phone to compose my posts, so please bear with me if I continue to have more typos.

Jean, I forgot to say how funny I thought your sarcastic comments were regarding B4's problem with getting the book store to recognize LC's name. I was reminded of it when Dave laughed as I read it out loud to him tonight.

Vickie
Jean Fournell

Post by Jean Fournell »

vlcoats wrote: Not sure if the term for that is ironic or something else, but it's certainly annoying!
Well, it's the joys of civilisation. Up where the internet satellites dwell, there are no cars nor lightnings to crash into telephone poles and cables. And yes, civilisation can be very annoying.
But writing your posts on a mobile phone? That would mean you have extremely few typos, hats off!

My sarcasm back there sure was a good part of the fun!
Another big part was to be watching my own reactions to considerations in how far (if at all), besides having to be competent with numbers, a dealer in second-hand books should be able to read and write; a dealer in second-hand chairs to simply sit; a dealer in second-hand stones to build houses and stone-henges and cathedrals (these spiky things that make life miserable for those who sit on, or in, the sky)…

Oh how fortunate that nobody is going to wonder whether any of this mightn't be perhaps a wee bit off-topic!

... for a while

vlcoats

Post by vlcoats »

My internet is back on... but that doesn't mean no typos! My pride (which I am learning is not the great personality trait that I thought it was) makes me tell you that medical transcriptionist was one of my many occupations, so even one typo is always an embarrassment.

However, the reason I am writing (in great excitement), is because with our internet back on, I happened to think of searching for any Leonard-related videos that might be available on TV if I logged into our Amazon Prime account. You will remember that we had Amazon Prime in Idaho because of our lack of shopping options. We had never been able to take advantage of their free Prime account videos until now. I am attaching a photo of the videos I have saved to our "watch" list.
Prime Leonard.jpg
Prime Leonard.jpg (146.97 KiB) Viewed 3240 times
Tomorrow is my birthday, and this is an unexpected birthday present from the cosmos! I am especially excited to see the first one!
Vickie
B4real

Post by B4real »

Hi Vickie, first things first ;-)

Happy Birthday to you..... ♪♫♫♪♫♪
Happy Birthday to you.....♪♫♫♪♫♪
Happy Birthday dear Vickie...
Happy Birthday to you!! ♪♫♫♪♫♪

Hope you are having/will have a wonderful day :D
*´¨)
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)
(¸.•´ (¸.•` Happy Birthday ♥♥

And speaking of the first, I remember that we were both born on the first day of winter but in opposite seasons! Australia goes by month and not equinox.

Now about LC Under Review 1934-1977 there is another review carrying on from that of 1978-2006.
Nine years ago I bought both of them as DVD’s.
LC-UR-1934-2006-a.jpg
LC-UR-1934-2006-b.jpg
Check out your Amazon Prime connection again and the later one might be there also. The full DVD used to be on YouTube but I can’t see it now so here’s a brief link about it – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xyu_yFhLQms
I haven’t looked at these reviews for years but I think some of what is in one or both DVD’s is in this other link. If not, now you have your internet back have a looksee – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6B2iq3Psz8M

Jean and Vickie, now that made me laugh when both of you said that you were buying Lorca’s poetry book, I didn’t know I had such influence, ha! I did chuckle at Jean’s few recognisable lines about buying it! I have to say that having both the Spanish and English is most interesting and helpful with understanding some words of another language.

Curt, if you haven’t already done so The LC Files would have covered pretty much all of the info about 1988 tour so maybe have a look there. If it’s just about the music alone, I’ll do some research later. I laughed out loud at your subtle manipulation of your better half in getting her to Hydra!

Alan, you know that you are definitely the man of the (my) moment right now ;-)

And I because I cannot ignore it, I have to add my local weather report because we are having a torrid time here in Queensland (officially called unprecedented) with over 100 bushfires burning and some out of control. Thankfully so far nothing like the loss of life in the Californian fires which are horrible! It has been so hot and smoky here; I haven’t been able to see the islands or where the sea and sky meet for days – talk about “The Smokey Life”! A few days ago where I live was the hottest day EVER on record of over 42 degrees Celsius or nearly 108 Fahrenheit – totally unbearable and unbelievable! No sea breeze at all which simply never happens here. This heat wave has been continuing for over a week now and there is no definite end in sight so far but it is a tad cooler today or maybe I’m just getting used to it – not! I would kill for one tiny snowflake, in fact he can bring many of his friends, to fall right here right now but they wouldn't reach the ground!
It doesn't have to be perfect, it just has to B4real ~ me
Attitude is a self-fulfilling prophecy ~ me ...... The magic of art is the truth of its lies ~ me ...... Only left-handers are in their right mind!

Return to “Leonard Cohen's music”