Copyright law changes on music in Canada

General discussion about Leonard Cohen's songs and albums
B4real

Copyright law changes on music in Canada

Post by B4real »

I've just received this in an email alert on LC.

CANADA SET TO EXTEND ARTIST COPYRIGHT TERM FROM 50 TO 70 YEARS

http://www.musicbusinessworldwide.com/c ... -70-years/

The Government of Canada has announced its intention to amend the term of copyright for sound recordings from 50 to 70 years in its 2015 Budget.

The move would bring Canadian artists and labels in line with more than 60 countries worldwide who protect copyright in sound recordings for a term of 70 years or longer – including all of Europe, the US and Australia.

Canadian artists currently lose copyright protection to their own recordings after half a century, when Canada’s Copyright Act pushes the tracks into the public domain.

The move has been welcomed by record label and artist body Music Canada, which has long lobbied for an extension.

“By proposing to extend the term of copyright in recorded music, Prime Minister Harper and the Government of Canada have demonstrated a real understanding of music’s importance to the Canadian economy. Thank you. We look forward to seeing the full details when the Budget Implementation Act is tabled,” says Graham Henderson, President of Music Canada.

“With each passing day, Canadian treasures like Universal Soldier by Buffy Sainte-Marie are lost to the public domain. This is not in the public interest. It does not benefit the creator or their investors and it will have an adverse impact on the Canadian economy.”

Without term extension for sound recordings, the early works of Leonard Cohen (pictured), Neil Young, Gordon Lightfoot, Joni Mitchell, and Anne Murray would be in public domain over the next five years.

“MANY OF US IN OUR SEVENTIES AND EIGHTIES DEPEND ON INCOME FROM THESE SONGS FOR OUR LIVELIHOOD.”

LEONARD COHEN

Leonard Cohen said: “In just a few short years, songs we recorded in the late 1960s will no longer have copyright protection in Canada. Many of us in our 70s and 80s depend on income from these songs for our livelihood. We would deeply appreciate any adjustment that would avert a financial disaster in our lives.”

Fellow Canadian artists loudly applauded the Government’s move.

“The world has changed since our original copyright laws were drafted,” said Bruce Cockburn. “Every piece of music is, at least theoretically, with us forever. Extending the copyright term is an eminently sensible response to this new situation, and a welcome one!”

“I support extending the length of copyright for sound recordings in Canada to 70+ years,” added Jim Cuddy. “The copyright of a creative work should not expire in the lifetime of an author.”

Music Canada estimates significant average annual investment by music companies of over 28% of revenues in developing talent, the next generation of performing artists will benefit from this copyright amendment now and well into the future.

“I’m glad that Canada has extended our copyright term, so we can continue to use the proceeds from classic Canadian recordings to invest in great Canadian talent,” said Kardinal Offishall.

COUNTRIES WHICH HAVE A SOUND RECORDING COPYRIGHT LONGER THAN 50 YEARS
United States (95)
Mexico (75)
United Kingdom (70)
France (70)
Germany (70)
South Korea (70)
Australia (70)
Argentina (70)
Austria (70)
Netherlands (70)
Spain (70)
Italy (70)
Norway (70)
Slovenia (70)
Sweden (70)
Slovakia (70)
Romania (70)
Portugal (70)
Poland (70)
Lithuania (70)
Latvia (70)
Ireland (70)
Bahamas (70/100)
Saint Vincent (75)
Samoa (75)
Bahrain (70)
Brazil (70)
Burkina Faso (70)
Chile (70)
Costa Rica (70)
Cote d’Ivoire (99)
Micronesia (75/100)
Morocco (70)
Nicaragua (70)
Oman (95/120)
Palau (75/100)
Colombia (80/50)
Panama (70)
Paraguay (70)
Dominican Republic (70)
Ecuador (70)
El Salvador (70)
Ghana (70)
Grenadine (75)
Guatemala (75)
Honduras (75)
Hungary (70)
Greece (70)
Finland (70)
Estonia (70)
Denmark(70)
Czech Republic (70)
Cyprus (70)
Croatia (70)
Bulgaria (70)
Belgium (70)
Peru (70)
Singapore (70)
Turkey (70)
Iceland (70)
Liechtenstein (70)
Malta (70)
Luxembourg (70)
India (60)
Venezuela (60)
Bangladesh (60

By Tim Ingham from Music Business Worldwide on April 22nd 2015
It doesn't have to be perfect, it just has to B4real ~ me
Attitude is a self-fulfilling prophecy ~ me ...... The magic of art is the truth of its lies ~ me ...... Only left-handers are in their right mind!
B4real

Re: Copyright law changes on music in Canada

Post by B4real »

Some further info on the situation above from Electronic Frontier Foundation APRIL 22, 2015 | BY JEREMY MALCOLM
https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2015/04/d ... -extension

Dice Loaded Against Public in Canada's Copyright Term Extension
Singer-songwriter Leonard Cohen has been quoted as supporting the term extension on the grounds that “In just a few short years, songs we recorded in the late 1960s will no longer have copyright protection in Canada.” But as explained above, this is untrue. It is only the rights to the particular recording that will fall out of copyright. The underlying musical works of those recordings that Cohen wrote will remain in copyright for 50 years following his death, and the royalties from those works will continue to flow to his family (unless he or they sign them away). Cohen's own lyrics provide a more apt description of what is really going on here:

Everybody knows that the dice are loaded
Everybody rolls with their fingers crossed
Everybody knows that the war is over
Everybody knows the good guys lost
Everybody knows the fight was fixed
The poor stay poor, the rich get rich
That's how it goes
Everybody knows
The whole article is in the link above.
It doesn't have to be perfect, it just has to B4real ~ me
Attitude is a self-fulfilling prophecy ~ me ...... The magic of art is the truth of its lies ~ me ...... Only left-handers are in their right mind!
Tchocolatl

Post by Tchocolatl »

Thanks for the info, b4real. I always thought that a song was owned by its creator(s) for as long as the song live and the roots are known, and that only a certain percentage was allowed to labels (or whoever) for using them. Naïve me ? Not really. This is how that should be. Yes.

But.

They will go further until they gain copyrights on every eardrum.

If you are reading between the lines.

For those who are answering right now that it is difficult enough to read my lines, and they should not have to provide any effort of some sort to overcome the difficulties: if we let a situation a situation of abuse go on and on without any action or reaction, it will get worst. And worst. Just like water takes the place the shore allowed.

But as we, as societies, are more inclined to allow some sites to use for free all our material in changes of using them, well. Cyber-babies are easy to abuse. They'll grow up some day, if they live long enough.
"He can love the shape of human beings, the fine and twisted shapes of the heart. It is good to have among us such men, such balancing monsters of love."

Leonard Cohen
Beautiful Losers
Tchocolatl

Post by Tchocolatl »

Very nice photo of Mr. Cohen, this one.
"He can love the shape of human beings, the fine and twisted shapes of the heart. It is good to have among us such men, such balancing monsters of love."

Leonard Cohen
Beautiful Losers

Return to “Leonard Cohen's music”