Barb Jungr covers Bob and Leonard on the Southbank

Postby John Etherington » Tue Jan 14, 2014 3:10 pm

Another concert for people who like covers (which excludes me!):

http://www.southbankcentre.co.uk/whatso ... 2014-02-14
jarkko
Site Admin

Re: Barb Jungr covers Bob and Leonard on the Southbank

Postby jarkko » Tue Jan 14, 2014 5:17 pm

Barbr is also going to release her concert on CD next month (Tribute to Bob Dylan and Leonard Cohen).
1988, 1993: Helsinki||2008: Manchester|Oslo|London O2|Berlin|Helsinki|London RAH|| 2009: New York Beacon|Berlin|Venice|Barcelona|Las Vegas|San José||2010: Salzburg|Helsinki|Gent|Bratislava|Las Vegas|| 2012: Gent|Helsinki|Verona|| 2013: New York|Pula|Oslo|||
Mabeanie1

Postby Mabeanie1 » Tue Jan 14, 2014 6:35 pm

Does anyone know Barb's work and can recommend it (or otherwise .....)?

Wendy
jarkko
Site Admin

Postby jarkko » Tue Jan 14, 2014 7:12 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SVFWjtAWM2I

Stockport to Memphis at the Pizza Express Dean Street Soho
Barb Jungr sings 'Everybody Knows'
accompanied by Jenny Carr and Simon Wallace

[In my humble opinion nobody does it better than
the master himself - but it's refreshing to check also
other versions while waiting for new original releases
(such as a live DVD)]
1988, 1993: Helsinki||2008: Manchester|Oslo|London O2|Berlin|Helsinki|London RAH|| 2009: New York Beacon|Berlin|Venice|Barcelona|Las Vegas|San José||2010: Salzburg|Helsinki|Gent|Bratislava|Las Vegas|| 2012: Gent|Helsinki|Verona|| 2013: New York|Pula|Oslo|||
Mabeanie1

Postby Mabeanie1 » Tue Jan 14, 2014 7:46 pm

Thanks for the link Jarkko.
jarkko wrote:[In my humble opinion nobody does it better than
the master himself - but it's refreshing to check also
other versions while waiting for new original releases
(such as a live DVD)]
I couldn't agree more. Barb's treatment of Everybody Knows is very different. I'm not sure I like it if I'm honest - but it IS good to hear someone interpret the song in their own way. She certainly seems to be very popular as the show at Warwick Arts Centre (about 30 mins from home for me) is already well sold.

BTW it's good to know that we are indeed waiting for a live DVD, presumably before the release of a new album.

Wendy
godnose

Postby godnose » Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:02 pm

Wow, yeh, did not like that. Her hand movements and conversational style trivialised the song for me.
alb123

Postby alb123 » Wed Jan 15, 2014 9:54 am

Ugh...when her cover of Everybody Knows started, I wanted to strangle her! But, I have to admit, as the accompanying musicians started picking it up I was able to tolerate it. Definitely not my cup of tea, but I'd say overall she did a respectable job covering that tune.

-Chris
Waterbury, CT - May 14, 2009
Las Vegas, NV - Dec 11, 2010 (Final Show of Leonard's 3 year World Tour) INCREDIBLE!
Boston, MA - Dec 15, 2012 (Best L.C. concert I've been to!)
cohenadmirer

Postby cohenadmirer » Wed Jan 15, 2014 10:56 pm

Mabeanie1 wrote:Does anyone know Barb's work and can recommend it (or otherwise .....)?

Wendy
Hi wendy

Highly recommended by me , for what it's worth , I've seen her perform several times .
Does a lot of Dylan material too - but always her own interpretation .Doesn't 100% work for me all the time but how can it ? Works very well for me some of the time, and i find her a charismatic and engaging performer with a great voice

David
Last edited by cohenadmirer on Wed Jan 15, 2014 11:31 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Leonard's work resonates
Brighton 1979; Dublin , Manchester june 2008; glasgow, manchester Nov 2008; Liverpool july 2009 ; Barcelona Sept 2009 ;marseille, lille september2010: Ghent August 2012;Barcelona October 2012;Montreal x2 November 2012: 2013; Saint John NB April 2013; Brussels June 2013;Manchester August 2013; Leeds , Birmingham September 2013; Amsterdam September 2013
cohenadmirer

Postby cohenadmirer » Wed Jan 15, 2014 10:57 pm

BARB JUNGR
HARD RAIN

The songs of Bob Dylan and Leonard Cohen

Album Release Date: 24TH MARCH 2014
Label: Kristalyn Records (Distributed by Absolute via Universal) CD & Download

The UK’s finest interpreter of song, Barb Jungr returns to the songs of Bob Dylan and Leonard Cohen with the release of Hard Rain. Oft referred to as “the politicised chansonnier” and cited as one of the world’s best performers of Dylan’s material, Barb turns to six of his most politically hard-hitting songs along with five of Leonard Cohen’s most impassioned songs of conscience. Barb’s selection for Hard Rain reflects her despair with the political times that we live in and she has deliberately chosen songs that resonate as strongly today as they did when they were originally written: Blowin’ In The Wind is now 51 years old and its sentiments are as relevant today as they ever were.

Tracklisting:

Blowin’ In The Wind (Bob Dylan)
Everybody Knows (Leonard Cohen and Sharon Robinson)
Who By Fire (Leonard Cohen)
Hard Rain (Bob Dylan)
First We Take Manhattan (Leonard Cohen)
Masters Of War (Bob Dylan)
It’s Alright Ma (Bob Dylan)
1000 Kisses Deep (Leonard Cohen and Sharon Robinson)
Gotta Serve Somebody (Bob Dylan)
Land Of Plenty (Leonard Cohen and Sharon Robinson)
Chimes Of Freedom (Bob Dylan)

The album comes complete with insightful liner notes by writer Liz Thomson, who as Elizabeth Thomson prepared “the director’s cut” of No Direction Home: The Life and Music of Bob Dylan (2014). She was also the co-editor of The Dylan Companion. As a young journalist, her first ever interview was with Leonard Cohen.

All of the arrangements on the album are by Barb and her long-standing collaborator and accompanist, the pianist Simon Wallace, who also produced the album. In addition to Simon (piano, Hammond organ and synthesizers), Barb is also joined by Neville Malcom on bass (with Steve Watts providing bass on tracks 1,3,8 and 10); Gary Hammond (percussion); Clive Bell (Shakahachi) and Richard Olatunde Baker on talking drum and additional percussion. Together with Barb, they inject new life and energy into each song.

Hard Rain will be released on Kristalyn Records on 24th March 2014. The album will be supported by an extensive run of live dates and will be launched with a special premiere performance of this Dylan/Cohen collection at London’s Purcell Room on Friday 14th February before going on tour throughout the UK.
Leonard's work resonates
Brighton 1979; Dublin , Manchester june 2008; glasgow, manchester Nov 2008; Liverpool july 2009 ; Barcelona Sept 2009 ;marseille, lille september2010: Ghent August 2012;Barcelona October 2012;Montreal x2 November 2012: 2013; Saint John NB April 2013; Brussels June 2013;Manchester August 2013; Leeds , Birmingham September 2013; Amsterdam September 2013

Return to “Leonard Cohen's music”