How I Listen To Leonard

General discussion about Leonard Cohen's songs and albums
Malcolmpordes

How I Listen To Leonard

Postby Malcolmpordes » Fri Jun 21, 2013 10:00 pm

I've been listening to Leonard since I first heard Hey That's Not Way To Say Goodbye on the CBS rock sampler album back in the 60's. Anyone else remember that?

I find that binge on Leonard for weeks or even months at a time, then not listen to him for a year or two before I come back and repeat the cycle. The only exception to this is when a new album comes out.

Am I alone in this?
HelenOE

Re: How I Listen To Leonard

Postby HelenOE » Fri Jun 21, 2013 10:08 pm

My question for long-time fans who started listening to Leonard on vinyl is: do you find you listen to more repeats of an album on vinyl than on CD? I read an article once that suggested that digital compression on CD's led to less interesting music and earlier "ear-fatigue."
LisaLCFan

Postby LisaLCFan » Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:31 pm

Malcolmpordes wrote:I find that binge on Leonard for weeks or even months at a time, then not listen to him for a year or two before I come back and repeat the cycle. The only exception to this is when a new album comes out. Am I alone in this?
You are not alone in this, I have done exactly the same thing since I discovered Leonard in 1988, with the "I'm Your Man" album. However, I would add that a new concert tour and/or actually attending a concert can also be the catalyst to set off a binge. I don't think I've gone more than a few weeks without listening to Leonard since I saw him in concert in early 2009 (which set off a two-year binge of nothing but Leonard Cohen's music!). His music is so very addictive, isn't it?
Malcolmpordes

Postby Malcolmpordes » Sat Jun 22, 2013 3:49 am

Two years is quite a binge, Lisa! Yes, his music stays in my head even when I'm asleep. I can go to sleep with one song in my head and wake up with another.
joyezekiel

Postby joyezekiel » Sat Jun 22, 2013 5:46 am

Just go out for a walk every morning at the break of day with my ipod........
1976 Leicester 2008 London O2/Cardiff 2009 NYC/Austin/Weybridge/Nashville 2010 Ghent x 2/Las Vegas x 2 2012 Ghent x 2/Austin/Montreal/Quebec City/Boston x 2 2013 Memphis/New Orleans/Winnipeg/Birmingham/London O2/Amsterdam/Auckland
John Etherington

Postby John Etherington » Mon Jun 24, 2013 3:12 am

Malcolm - It's interesting that you discovered Leonard on the second Rock Machine album, "Rock Machine I Love You", as this rarely gets mentioned. I discovered him on "The Rock Machine Turns You On" with "Sisters of Mercy" (as did Sylvie Simmons). There was also a third sampler "Fill Your Head With Rock" that featured "You Know Who I Am".

From "Songs From a Room" up to (and including) "The Future", I played each Leonard album almost every day (sometimes twice) for at least two months after buying it. I have never "binged" on Leonard's music. I've always treated it as a sacrament or musical therapy, rather than as an entertainment that I need to hear regularly. I've given it long breaks over 44 years, sometimes for as long as a year or two. It's all inside me now, so I only listen to it occasionally. That way, it has never lost its magic.

All good things, John E
Vicomte

Postby Vicomte » Mon Jun 24, 2013 12:54 pm

Regarding your last paragraph, it is also the main reason neither of us attend too many gigs (OK along with the high cost of ticket, inc travel costs etc), I fear like the things in life one enjoys most, personally I dread that seeing too many LC concerts would eventually see the reverence wear thin and that I would never want to tempt.
I guess it all started for me sometime around Christmas 1967 and now, goodness me, it's.........2018 and over fifty years later.
No one ever listens to me. I might as well be a Leonard Cohen record.
Neil from The Young Ones
Malcolmpordes

Postby Malcolmpordes » Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:10 pm

John, I'm glad I could bring back memories of the Rock Machine albums for you. I bought "Songs Of" after listening to the "Hey That's No Way To Say Goodbye" and hoped upon hope that it wasn't a one-off album. How lucky we all were!

I agree that giving Leonard's music long breaks allows it to keep it's magic and emotional freshness, so I do the same, as I said.

Return to “Leonard Cohen's music”