Dress rehearsal rag

General discussion about Leonard Cohen's songs and albums
Sanverp

Dress rehearsal rag

Postby Sanverp » Sun Mar 24, 2013 6:04 pm

Hey,

Does anybody know what the meaning is of 'dress rehearsal rag'?
Is it a kind of rag in stead of costume used during dress rehearsal?
Is it an expression?

Sorry for this question, but English is not my mother language.

Kind regards,
Sanverp
Kind Regards,
Peter
HelenOE

Re: Dress rehearsal rag

Postby HelenOE » Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:19 am

I'm sure that the "rag" in Dress Rehearsal Rag is the musical rag, a composition in ragtime (like Scott Joplin's Maple Leaf Rag).
hydriot

Postby hydriot » Tue Mar 26, 2013 2:46 am

Somewhere on this forum you will find an extended debate on this one word, which we had several years ago. Here in the UK, one meaning of a 'rag' can be a prank, a practical joke. Each year, universities hold Rag Weeks, defined by the COD as "a programme of entertainments organised by students to raise money for charity"

The COD defines "ragging" as to "make fun of, loudly and boisterously". This seems to me more in keeping with the drive of the song than the idea that the word relates to any particular style of music. In other words, the preparation for suicide was never a serious one: he was merely indulging in a fantasy, playing a prank on his audience.

But of course the question is -- does Canada have that meaning of "rag"?
“If you do have love it's a kind of wound, and if you don't have it it's worse.” - Leonard, July 1988
Cate

Postby Cate » Tue Mar 26, 2013 3:58 pm

Not that I know of or a least not exactly. An older saying was 'don't rag on me', meaning don't bitch or harp at me.
You also might say, "I'm going to rag him out", meaning that you intend to give him a tough time/criticize him, though humour could be involved (i.e. giving you're drunken husband the 'what for' at 2:00 a.m. in the morning when he stumbles home with the milk he left to go buy 6 hours ago.)

Return to “Leonard Cohen's music”