Leonard Cohen For The Ages

General discussion about Leonard Cohen's songs and albums
Steven

Leonard Cohen For The Ages

Post by Steven »

Hi,

Of late, there are a few age related threads on the forum. They've prompted this thread.

Anyone care to say how being at a particular age may be affecting the way you relate to
L.C.'s music?

Those with seasoned exposure to L.C.'s music, how has your relationship to the music changed
(if it has)?
John Etherington

Re: Leonard Cohen For The Ages

Post by John Etherington »

Some random thoughts on this topic (I'm 61 and have listened for 44 years)...

Generally I don't like any song or album any more or less than at the time when I first heard it. The favourites have always been the same. As I've said before, I've always listened to Leonard's music only when it feels particularly appropriate and never ever as background music. Actually, I hardly listen to it these days, because it's all inside me...virtually every word and note can be evoked at random.

For a long time specific songs were associated with relationships, though with the passing of time any intense feelings that were linked with them have diminished. I also used to think of Leonard's music as more seasonable...being more appropriate for Spring (especially Easter) or autumn. This used to coincide with Leonard's UK touring times, but not since Leonard started coming here (if at all!) in high summer and the holiday season

The concerts have always been great, and in many ways are better than ever. However, I used to enjoy the surprise element, especially before internet overkill. I now feel that I've had as full a Leonard experience as I could possibly hope for. I still hope to see every U.K. tour at least once, but if for any reason I can't, it won't be the end of the world!
Athnuachan

Post by Athnuachan »

John Etherington wrote: However, I used to enjoy the surprise element, especially before internet overkill.
Yes, unfortunately everything is done to death now online. One night's "original" patter becomes every night's tedium...

Luckily, though, I find Cohen's recordings never age - even those dating from the sixties sound as fresh as ever.
Ring the bells that still can ring...
softkitty

Post by softkitty »

Ageless, timeless and peerless, have never found LC otherwise. From young girl to oldish lady, he still has the power to move me.
comehealing

Post by comehealing »

Thinking how best to summarise the impact of Leonard Cohen, this line by
Ben Jonson on William Shakespeare leapt up:
"He was not of an age, but for all time."
I do believe there is a timeless quality to LC's music which is why listening
over and over is such a richly rewarding experience.

Incidentally, I am in my early 30s, have been listening to/reading Leonard's
work for circa 15 years and fully imagine doing so for many more years. Great art
does not wither on the vine. This is its inherent beauty.

:)
Alexis
"Who, being loved, is poor?"
(Oscar Wilde)
"That love is all there is" (Emily Dickinson)
"A miracle, just take a look around: The inescapable earth" (Wislawa Szymborska)

Return to “Leonard Cohen's music”