December 27, 1967 - it was exactly 45 years ago!

General discussion about Leonard Cohen's songs and albums
Goldin

December 27, 1967 - it was exactly 45 years ago!

Postby Goldin » Thu Dec 27, 2012 8:55 pm

Songs of LC
Today
Hurrah!
Roman aka Hermitage Prisoner
holydove

Re: December 27, 1967 - it was exactly 45 years ago!

Postby holydove » Thu Dec 27, 2012 10:07 pm

Thanks for reminding us of this very important & memorable date, Goldin. I will celebrate by listening to the album this evening, in a quiet darkened room, by the glow of my thin green candle.
Mabeanie1

Postby Mabeanie1 » Thu Dec 27, 2012 10:49 pm

Just curious: is there anyone here who bought the album on its release?

It was another 12 months before I discovered Leonard, when my then boyfriend bought me Songs as a present.

Wendy
joyezekiel

Postby joyezekiel » Sat Dec 29, 2012 9:11 pm

Mabeanie1 wrote:Just curious: is there anyone here who bought the album on its release?

It was another 12 months before I discovered Leonard, when my then boyfriend bought me Songs as a present.

Wendy
I know I bought the album during my 3rd year at Grammar School, which would've been September 1967-July 1968, but I can't remember exactly when, so maybe? It seems so long ago.........

Joy
1976 Leicester 2008 London O2/Cardiff 2009 NYC/Austin/Weybridge/Nashville 2010 Ghent x 2/Las Vegas x 2 2012 Ghent x 2/Austin/Montreal/Quebec City/Boston x 2 2013 Memphis/New Orleans/Winnipeg/Birmingham/London O2/Amsterdam/Auckland
holydove

Postby holydove » Sat Dec 29, 2012 9:48 pm

Mabeanie1 wrote:Just curious: is there anyone here who bought the album on its release?

Wendy
Good question, Wendy. Not me. . .I discovered Leonard in the fall of 1969. Yes, it seems so long ago. . .when we were almost young. . .

I listened to that first album the other night, after not hearing it for a while (at least several months), & it never ceases to amaze me how it is not only just as brilliant as it was back then, but it still - after 45 years - continues to get better & better every time I listen to it; I still hear new things in every song, every time. . .& the remastered version is wonderful - every nuance is so clear & vivid - you can even hear the movements of Leonard's mouth & his breathing, when he plays his hands & whistles at the end of One Of Us Cannot Be Wrong.
John Etherington

Postby John Etherington » Fri Jan 04, 2013 1:36 am

A good question indeed...it will be interesting to know if anyone surfaces who did! My rough sequence of early Leonard memories (most of which I've mentioned before) are as follows...I heard Noel Harrison's "Suzanne" in 1967 but it didn't do anything for me...I saw "Songs of LC" in the U.K. chart but knew nothing about it (I thought he might be another somewhat dubious figure like Rod McKuen)....I saw a picture of him in Melody Maker (the one where he has a white hat, dark jacket and moustache) and thought what a weird dude he looked...I saw him on the Julie Felix show singing "Stranger Song" and thought he was decidedly dreary. I then forgot all about him.

Just before Christmas 1968, I bought "The Rock Machine Turns You On" which intrigued me, and turned out to be a complete revelation. I heard "Sisters of Mercy" and knew I had found my world. However, I had no memory of what Leonard looked like, and had a strange notion that he might look like Patrick McGoohan who played "Danger Man". Soon after, I bought the sequel "Rock Machine - I Love You" which featured "Hey, That's No Way To Say Goodbye". Again I was impressed, and considered buying "Songs of Leonard Cohen", but hesitated because I thought I may already have the best two tracks. Early in 1969, I listened to John Peel's Night Ride on the BBC and at the end of the show, he said those magic words..."next week's guest is Leonard Cohen, Leonard Cohen, Leonard Cohen"... I knew something seriously important was afoot.

This prompted me to buy "Songs From a Room" on the day that it was released, and I took to it immediately. After playing it repeatedly, I had to have more and soon after,I finally bought "Songs Of...". I then seem to remember buying "Selected Poems","The Favourite Game" and "Beautiful Losers" within a relatively short time-frame.

Curiously, it was only when I saw an early showing of "Ladies and Gentleman - Mr Leonard Cohen" at a music event at Olympia in 1970 that I was certain I had seen Leonard walking towards Hampstead Heath in the early Sixties in his famous blue raincoat and with that intense look on his face. I clearly remember my father saying "odd looking chap!". I also had a recent memory that I may have seen him in Brixton shortly after and remembered him (not so unlikely if he was checking out the bluebeat clubs!).
daveeliver

Postby daveeliver » Sat Jan 05, 2013 11:06 am

Hi,
I'm not sure when I bought Leonard's first album but I still have it, with a sticker on it reminding me that it was a 'stereo' recording!

It was probably pre or early 1970 and like John I had the Rock machine albums which were loved, mind expanding and accompanied me on ships around the world.
I always remember John Peel saying that Leonard's albums should replace school milk for schoolchildren!

I went to the concert in May 1970 at the Royal Albert Hall and a week late was supposed to go to a Rod McKuen concert at the same venue.
I didn't make it because my ship was leaving the same day, but as a consolation I was given the book 'Stanyan Street and other Sorrows' from my American friend for my birthday and amongst other things she wrote inside '(HAPPY UNBIRTHDAY ,THEN...)
I was avoiding birthdays and growing older even then!!!!

I never really carried on listening to Rod McKuen but he led me to Jacques Brel.....
Look after yourself and (each)others. All the best Dave ♫♫♫
Wybe
Site Admin

Postby Wybe » Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:00 pm

David for you the last concert from Brel in Holland 1964
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=33327#p322206
2008 -- Brugge, Amsterdam, London, Berlin, Helsinki, Oberhausen, Rotterdam -- 2008
2009 -- Antwerpen, Venice, Barcelona .-- 2009
2010 -- 2 x Gent, Lille, 2x Las Vegas, -- 2010
2012 -- Gent, 2 x Amsterdam, Dublin, Verona -- 2012
2013 -- Pula, Rotterdam -- 2013
https://www.icantforget.nl -- +++ https://www.LCeventAmsterdam.icantforget.nl +++ --

Return to “Leonard Cohen's music”