Jazz police

General discussion about Leonard Cohen's songs and albums
Ultraviolet

Jazz police

Postby Ultraviolet » Mon Sep 17, 2012 6:20 pm

I have notice that Jazz Police is not a fave to Leonard Cohen fans. I have never understood that, because I think the song is brilliant. Who feel the same way and them who don't like the song much, why?
rmorgan

Re: Jazz police

Postby rmorgan » Tue Oct 16, 2012 1:05 am

Yes, I agree with you! Jazz Police is quite a blast, with ssome fine lines _ "guys like me are mad for turtle meat". The piano bits are very nice too. Sometimes L's phrasing is a bit awkward though.

It's the song after that I don't like so much - "I Can't Forget"! Not nearly as compelling.

Thanks for being a Jazzer!

Richard
John Etherington

Postby John Etherington » Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:32 am

Nothing wrong with "Jazz Police"! It was good to see Leonard doing something experimental, and it fits in well on "I'm Your Man". Meanwhile, "I Can't Forget" is one of my top 5 LC songs.
Garcia Lorca

Postby Garcia Lorca » Wed Oct 17, 2012 10:50 pm

I don´t really like Jazz Police either, for me is a very strange song. I don´t like chorus either ,however I love " I can forget".
Sorry for not giving a lot of explanations, but this was what I felt the first time I heard "I´m your man", CD more than 20 years ago and today still feel the same.
" The instructions were never to lament casually. And if one is to express the great inevitable defeat that awaits us all, it must be done within the strict confines of dignity and beauty."

Return to “Leonard Cohen's music”